Donal's ~ Sunday Times Interview

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Donal's ~ Sunday Times Interview

Postby Rosemarie » 02 Oct 2012, 23:05

Altruistic would be a far more plausible and apt adjective!
Rosemarie

Postby loulamb » 03 Oct 2012, 01:24

Highly sensitive people are so sensitive to colour and sound they feel like they are walking around on lsd as it is, so they dont need psychadelics. Yes Roberta I agree with you OCD is about control it seemed he was very controlled was able to say no to drugs and if you are already a quiet thoughtful person when you smoke a joint it makes you go completely inside yourself he must have been around it and been aware of this. Maybe with this control he said no to too much.

You can tell he is humouring that guy he is so tolerant with him hes got him sussed. His reply over the irish situation is very very well thought out very sensitvely handled. This altruism willing to please others over himself staying when he actually wants to leave because he is tired, being polite to annoying interviewers when he wants to be angry, turning the other cheek when people insult him, its draining no wonder he shut himself away with sensory overload and exhaustion.

The medication im sure he thought would help and bendozapenes are very very addictive if they make you feel numb to things you would normally feel sensitive to this can feel like a relief but they also reduce your inhibitions and make you rely upon these drugs, if given to the wrong person these drugs can really affect your personality, sometimes it is a lifestyle change that is needed not a drug to help you deal with a lifestyle you are not suited to. These cartoons are funny but I feel they so relate to him it is said AB blood types have a jakyll and hyde personality so sang by Rory himself , they are also viewed as being outsiders not easily understood.
loulamb

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Oct 2012, 02:28

[quote="Sinner Girl"]Maybe you think about this interviews,RobertaSparrow

Great to hear Rory speaking but I sense his bewilderment at the incredibly clumsy and badly thought-out questions, the German guy is obviously limited by his wooden English and doesn't seem to have a clue who he's interviewing or why. :D

Post by loulamb » 02 Oct 2012, 17:24
Highly sensitive people are so sensitive to colour and sound they feel like they are walking around on lsd as it is, so they dont need psychadelics. Yes Roberta I agree with you OCD is about control it seemed he was very controlled was able to say no to drugs and if you are already a quiet thoughtful person when you smoke a joint it makes you go completely inside yourself he must have been around it and been aware of this. Maybe with this control he said no to too much.

You can tell he is humouring that guy he is so tolerant with him hes got him sussed. His reply over the irish situation is very very well thought out very sensitvely handled. This altruism willing to please others over himself staying when he actually wants to leave because he is tired, being polite to annoying interviewers when he wants to be angry, turning the other cheek when people insult him, its draining no wonder he shut himself away with sensory overload and exhaustion.

:) That was one of the interviews that I was thinking of . . . Rory is so patient with the guy, and he tries to help him with the questions when the interviewer has language problems. This interview was done after Rory had finished his performance- no doubt he would rather have had something to eat and be left alone to relax, but instead he remains there for this rather long interview. Yeah, he has the patience of a saint. The irony is, I think Rory was fluent in German.

Rory was brilliant in the way he handled all the questions about Ireland's turmoil- He was wise to remain publicly neutral- people were dying over those issues, and Rory was of a mind to try to bring peace, respite, for those kids. I hope if/when they do a film about him that that is one of the things they emphasize- his kindness and sensitivity, and his willingness to go into a volatile situation armed with nothing but his music and his life. His kind of solution probably did more to calm the waters over there than all the protest songs and physical altercations.

IMHO it was all well and good for John Lennon to voice his position on the subject and sing his songs at rallies in New York City, John Lennon was English and he had strong feelings about what his people were doing, but for Rory it was a different matter. Rory was born in the North and raised in the South- he was thinking of what was best for the people in his home. He was wise beyond his years, and if more people were like him the world would be a much kinder place.

Not too sure about the blood type as it relates to personality, though I have read of those studies. Donal has spoken about Rory's rare blood type. Would not the rarest type be AB neg? Don't know much about it except that it's very rare, but then so are people like Rory.
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 04 Oct 2012, 00:59

Its was only because Donal mentioned it i read it before and had some knowledge on it. it is a very rare blood type. in japan they say each blood type has a different personality sort of like starsigns its a really big cultural thing they even hire people for job interviews by asking your blood type. Its also a sort of casual conversation starter in Japan! Medically relates to cortisol production how you react to stress, your environment, alcohol, immunity to certain diseases etc, the negative only refers to your rhesus but there are only 4 blood groups AB being rare but AB- being the rarest some blood types are not compatible so an O socially would not understand why an AB was feeling exhausted because O's have different stress tolerance levels. Marilyn Munro was also an AB.

Saying all of this I doubt he would have like to have been 'pigeon holed' at all! :D
loulamb

Postby loulamb » 04 Oct 2012, 01:08

and no joke just as i wrote that a documentary came on tv opening saying 'Marilyn Munro battled anxiety all of her life addicted to medication etc' whhat?
loulamb

Postby loulamb » 04 Oct 2012, 01:25

that was a bit odd sorry, just having a convo with myself here but just to clarify i dont want to give the impression that objectifying an individual medically or pigeon holing can ever explain the complexity of the person
loulamb

Postby Mandyl » 06 Oct 2012, 18:22

I was reading an interveiw with Stevie Nicks the other day and she had this to say about her love of music as a child

Stevie: I have been a little performer since I was four years old...I came into the world dancing and singing, and my mom and dad, I think, knew from the very beginning. My grandfather was a country-western singer and a fiddle player and guitarist, and he wrote songs and traveled all over the United States and played gigs in the forties. My parents were very supportive of my love of music and my focus was very strong from when I was in grade school. They knew I didn't want to be an actress, I didn't want to take drama, I didn't really want to take musical drama. I just wanted to listen to rockabilly and rock 'n' roll and R&B, and I just was in my own little musical world. I had it planned out. In sixth grade, I was wearing a black outfit with a top hat. I had it all planned out.

Interviewer: We like to diagnose things as ADD or ADHD, but how about, "No, she just had the music in her?"

Stevie: Exactly, and I was really refusing to go any other way.

I think there are many parallels with Rory there, many talented, creative people are totally focused on what they want to do and have a calling to it, whether it be writing, music or acting. I think it was the same with Rory as has been said above. He wasn't autistic in my view, just dedicated.

Although Stevie was involved with recreational drugs whereas Rory wasn't, she also became addicted to prescription drugs (pain killers and anti depressants) in the 1980s when the medical profession thought they would cure anything. She went through rehab and came out the other side, sadly Rory didn't manage that.

However it was a good article and helps keep Rory's name out there.

Mandy
Mandyl

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome