Rory's albums on youtube - good thing?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory's albums on youtube - good thing?

Postby Steve86 » 02 Oct 2012, 16:32

People should listen to Rory's music the way it was meant to heard and that is on record.
Steve86

Postby loulamb » 03 Oct 2012, 00:44

Yes I for one am a fan of vinyl ive managed to track down most of Rory's first presses including Taste which I blast out I also own cd's and dvd's! The raw sound its almost as though he is in the room. The youtube video's are brilliant although album wise I always want to own cd's and dvd'd of my favourite artists because of the artwork and I feel I owe it to them because its how they made/make a living. I listen to taste isle of wight non stop and am chomping at the bit for that dvd and will be purchasing it certainly not waiting for it to come on youtube, ill treasure that.
loulamb

Postby mike6262 » 12 Oct 2012, 13:59

This a great topic. The audio quality of YouTube is a drawback for any serious music fan. I think it is a way to check out artists you aren't familiar with. But strangely enough I still enjoy buying music like I did in the 70's and 80's and that was buying it before you heard anything off of the album. I bought most of Rory's album before I heard even a single cut. And that goes for most of my records and cd's that were purchased pre YouTube and mp3. I love the excitement of purchasing a cd or record and putting it on for the first time having never heard it. The first time I heard Rory, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple was when the needle hit the grooves, not in some tinny sounding YouTube video or terribly ripped mp3. An example is ZZ Top's latest album, I heard several cuts before the release of the album through the bands web site, by the time the album came out I was completely underwhelmed, there was no build up to the albums release. Same goes for Rush's latest album, I am huge Rush fan, but I was listening to several cuts off the album for a year prior to release, by the release date I was over it.
mike6262

Postby shadowplay747 » 12 Oct 2012, 16:29

I bought all my Rory albums (most of them originals) but prefer to use youtube as its just so easy press a button when iv had a few vodkas. Most of my albums got played once to tape them so i could keep them in good condition. The thing i dont agree with is people who download for financial gain.
shadowplay747

Postby folkdeejay » 12 Oct 2012, 16:44

Steve86 wrote:People should listen to Rory's music the way it was meant to heard and that is on record.

But Rory released music on cassette, 8 track and vinyl, as well as the early days of ( crap sounding) CD.

So "the way it was meant to be heard" is hard to pin down - arguably live....but that is no longer an option.
folkdeejay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Oct 2012, 18:18

folkdeejay wrote:
Steve86 wrote:People should listen to Rory's music the way it was meant to heard and that is on record.

But Rory released music on cassette, 8 track and vinyl, as well as the early days of ( crap sounding) CD.

So "the way it was meant to be heard" is hard to pin down - arguably live....but that is no longer an option.

Well for that matter they were also probably on 4&8 track cartridges, but . . .
I have some of the original LPs from the 70's, but they're pretty worn out. I prefer to listen to the CDs and set the player to random 'cause I hate knowing which track is next before it starts. And the sound isn't that great on You tube, but I can watch him play on the TV in the living room, so that's good too.
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome