Rory's albums on youtube - good thing?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's albums on youtube - good thing?

Postby cornishmusic » 30 Sep 2012, 11:05

I've just found (and I'm sure many of you have too), a complete page of all rory's albums - all complete including NFSF - to stream free of charge.

here's the question - does anybody actually buy rory's music anymore? - or do we just listen to the stuff we've not already bought, for free on youtube? or illegal download?

Does it matter now that rory has gone? or should we be contributing to rory's estate by buying product, so that new releases and dvd's can be financed in the future?

on a wider note, and as a musician, does anybody make huge returns on recorded music anymore?

perhaps the emphasis has returned to live performance - which certainly would have suited Rory!

Comments please!
"heavily influenced by Rory Gallagher, Status Quo and early 70's bluesy hard rock"
cornishmusic

Re: Rory's albums on youtube - good thing?

Postby Flamenca » 30 Sep 2012, 12:23

Hi Cornishmusic

Mixed feelings about this one. The owner of the content does receive some income from Youtube clicks, albeit, a share of advertising revenue from the clicks generated. I doubt if this compares to the royalties they would receive from say a download via i-tunes, however Youtube has democratised the media, enabling a global audience to hear Rory, which given the current state of playlists, they probably wouldn't have otherwise had the chance to hear him on radio or T.V.

Whether the audience then goes on to purchase the music for their own personal ownership is debateable. I suspect if Youtube limited the number of times you could access the music, many people would just move onto something else that was free, if the music didn't grab them enough to compel them to buy. It's a bit like listening to the radio. The audience is quite happy to listen even though they don't choose the playlist. Whether they buy the music for their own personal owneship depends upon how much they like it and if they can afford it.

You can produce the best music in the world but if no-one has ever heard of it, then who will know to buy it?
Flamenca

Postby folkdeejay » 30 Sep 2012, 13:13

I listen to a fair bit on-line, but then I just bought the new CD's ( got the old ones & the LP's too)

Interesting points here by a successful, touring musician.

http://www.philbeer.co.uk/index.php?opt ... y&Itemid=1

His band, http://www.showofhands.co.uk/ often comment live that they are in favour of fans copying their CD's and passing them onto others - as they really earn a living gigging.
folkdeejay

Postby cornishmusic » 30 Sep 2012, 15:16

I think Phil Beers comments are spot on - thanks for the link.

Seems to me that youtube is an invaluable tool for undiscovered bands and musicians, but a curse for those major label artists who already have a large fanbase, and need to recoup costs on an expensive new album - just depends what side of the fence you are on.

i'm already seeing ZZ Top tracks from la futura cropping up on youtube......

i'd like to think rory would have encouraged the posting of his music, enabling more people to discover the beauty of his performances - live and in the studio.

I hope Donal feels the same.
"heavily influenced by Rory Gallagher, Status Quo and early 70's bluesy hard rock"
cornishmusic

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Oct 2012, 06:16

I for one am grateful for the amount of material available on YouTube- and for all the fans that recorded these things off the TV or radio when they were available. In Rory's case, he toured mostly in Europe and so I would never have seen any of his later performances or interviews if someone hadn't saved them and, when the technology was available, uploaded them on the net. So many of Rory's performances would have been forever lost if someone hadn't saved them. However,-when quality material becomes commercially available I buy it because most importantly it supports the artist and/or his estate, and it's usually a much better quality copy than one that would be copied from the PC.

Some of the early Taste recordings that are not otherwise available I have converted to mp3 from YouTube, but they aren't very clean copies, but better than nothing. As soon as a video of Taste's Isle of Wight becomes available commercially I'm getting it, as I already have with IT74 and the rest of Rory's commercially available catalog.

Rory's situation is unique in that he didn't release singles, and after he developed an aversion to flying, he didn't tour here often, and although non-commercial radio stations like NPR still play his music, there is no commercial incentive for them to play him, and I haven't seen him on commercial TV here in decades. Aside from my memories of seeing him in the 70's, without Youtube, LastFM, Netflix or other internet resources I would be clueless.

Rory is no longer here, not in this dimension anyway (physically dead, but spiritually he's not gone) and I think more than anything he wanted people to hear his music. As for Donal, I would bet that his top priority is to keep his brother's legacy and memory alive, and to that end, I hope he's ok with it.

If Rory was still alive it would be a different matter. I suspect that if Rory were still here he would see it as a way around the corporate interference that he encountered in the music-business world, and it wouldn't have taken him long to get up to speed on the technology (probably with his nephew's help) and he would have finally gotten the recognition he worked so hard to achieve.

So, it's excellent to use as a tool to discover (or rediscover) some of those gems from the past, and if it's worth hearing repeatedly, then it's worth buying.

That's what I think anyway-
RobertaSparrow

Postby jenniferj » 01 Oct 2012, 12:22

Well I noted a comment on one of Rory's YouTube videos which said "I've never heard of this guy, but he is xxxxxxx fantastic!" So, people will discover Rory this way. I don't think Rory would like it if he was here to see it, but under the circumstances I think it is another way to bring Rory's music to the world.
Jennifer
jenniferj

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Oct 2012, 20:09

I agree Rory is not gone and there are other dimensions. After 2012 I think it will be proven 8-) Its no coincidence I like writing about the supernatural. Anyway btw I was saying . As a writer the internet is amazing for any independent artist. Fantastic vehicle where we can compete with the top guns in the writing industry. I discovered Rory in 2007 thanks to my pal Susie, just because the mainstream media hardly ever mentioned him. You tube is invaluable because it is getting Rory's music to younger fans. Just check out the THE SUNDAY TIMES article I scanned for fans and you can see that to be true. I for one do listen to music on the radio, you tube etc but I like to own a CD in my CD collection ( oops I was going to say record collection) and then I can show it to people I know. I will always buy all of Rory's music from shops etc and help keep his legacy alive. Internet first came out in 1995 when I first heard about it at University. My God how it has changed our lives but I feel so happy that it is getting RG's music out there and I truly believe Rory would be very happy. Subrata. x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 01 Oct 2012, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby JimLED » 01 Oct 2012, 20:10

Music and at Youtube has an audio quality like a simple mp3 (44.1 192 kb/sec). This is too low for me. I prefer to put the disk onto the player. This is much better interesting that to view the bluered video or to hear poor audio.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Oct 2012, 20:14

I agree having proper CDs and DVDs of Rorys music is better because of quality. Remember I was too young to see Rory and by the time I could it was too late. However good quality CDs and DVDs can help me hear his beautiful guitar playing as it was. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Steve86 » 02 Oct 2012, 16:15

I don't think Rory's music should be free on Youtube. It devalues it.
Steve86

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome