NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby vasdis » 23 Sep 2012, 09:32

I dont know if this the right place,but it is to a degree Rory related.Recently saw Nine Below Zero in concert at our local music venue The Assembly in Royal
Leamington Spa.A really raw down to earth set featuring many blues standards and classics,What interested me more than anything else was the fact that the
band featured no less than 3 former Rory's band members:-Gerry McAvoy -bass,Brendan O'Neil ,drums/percussion and Mark Feltham lead vocals /Harp.
Also recently saw another formerly Irish band there ,i.e. Thin Lizzy, who whilst being excellent ,unfortunately featured only 2 original members.
vasdis
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re:NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Sep 2012, 13:27

vasdis wrote:I dont know if this the right place,but it is to a degree Rory related.Recently saw Nine Below Zero in concert at our local music venue The Assembly in Royal
Leamington Spa.A really raw down to earth set featuring many blues standards and classics,What interested me more than anything else was the fact that the
band featured no less than 3 former Rory's band members:-Gerry McAvoy -bass,Brendan O'Neil ,drums/percussion and Mark Feltham lead vocals /Harp.


Hi Vasdis,
You could not have seen NBZ "recently" surely with that lineup, because this happened almost a year ago now??
Click here to see old topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1941
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby vasdis » 23 Sep 2012, 14:10

Jay Jay wrote:
vasdis wrote:I dont know if this the right place,but it is to a degree Rory related.Recently saw Nine Below Zero in concert at our local music venue The Assembly in Royal
Leamington Spa.A really raw down to earth set featuring many blues standards and classics,What interested me more than anything else was the fact that the
band featured no less than 3 former Rory's band members:-Gerry McAvoy -bass,Brendan O'Neil ,drums/percussion and Mark Feltham lead vocals /Harp.


Hi Vasdis,
You could not have seen NBZ "recently" surely with that lineup, because this happened almost a year ago now??
Click here to see old topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1941

Apologies you are quite right ,doesnt time fly ?The gig was actually on 25th November 2011,they were supporting Dr Feelgood,who's guitarist Steve Wallwin
hails from our town and is a protege of the guitarist in the band i used to roadie for.It must have been Thin Lizzy who we have seen more recently.
vasdis
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Sep 2012, 14:18

Jay Jay wrote:Apologies you are quite right ,doesnt time fly ?The gig was actually on 25th November 2011,they were supporting Dr Feelgood,who's guitarist Steve Wallwin
hails from our town and is a protege of the guitarist in the band i used to roadie for.It must have been Thin Lizzy who we have seen more recently.


No problem Vasdis, time does fly. Can't believe how fast this years going.
Dr Feelgood played at the International Rory Gallagher festival this year btw
http://www.facebook.com/RoryGallagherIn ... teFestival :)
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby vasdis » 23 Sep 2012, 14:28

Jay Jay wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:Apologies you are quite right ,doesnt time fly ?The gig was actually on 25th November 2011,they were supporting Dr Feelgood,who's guitarist Steve Wallwin
hails from our town and is a protege of the guitarist in the band i used to roadie for.It must have been Thin Lizzy who we have seen more recently.


No problem Vasdis, time does fly. Can't believe how fast this years going.
Dr Feelgood played at the International Rory Gallagher festival this year btw
http://www.facebook.com/RoryGallagherIn ... teFestival :)

I know Steve is a very big Rory fan,as were all the members of Big Bertha being influenced by and performing several numbers of Rorys in fact i am certain
they cut 2 7" singles at a studio local to us and the absolute Rory classic Tattoo'd Lady was on one of them.
vasdis
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby fenderbass » 23 Sep 2012, 22:34

Steve is a big Rory fan. His first band was called HANDS OFF. Here's some info from internet:

'After his first band Hands Off, Steve joined professional rock band Chevy, then played with R&B band The DT's in the early 1980s. The DTs became backing band for the late Steve Marriott in 1987. He joined Rhythm and Blues band Dr Feelgood in 1989 and travels Europe playing over 200 gigs a year'.

I am going to see Dr Feelgood this Friday in Glasgow. I will try and get a word with Steve and ask him about HANDS OFF and if they played any Rory songs etc.
fenderbass
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 21 Mar 2010, 00:37

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby fenderbass » 27 Sep 2012, 13:31

Hi vasdis
I sent you a message about Steve Walwyn.
(click on 'new messages' tab at top page to open your messages).
Neil
fenderbass
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 21 Mar 2010, 00:37

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby vasdis » 27 Sep 2012, 15:03

fenderbass wrote:Hi vasdis
I sent you a message about Steve Walwyn.
(click on 'new messages' tab at top page to open your messages).

Neil

thanks have sent you a reply see PM.
vasdis
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby vasdis » 27 Sep 2012, 15:20

vasdis wrote:
fenderbass wrote:Hi vasdis
I sent you a message about Steve Walwyn.
(click on 'new messages' tab at top page to open your messages).

Neil

thanks have sent you a reply see PM.

Sorry looks like the BB website has gone it is listed on Google but comes up as a blank screen.
vasdis
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: NBZ ~ Hands Off ~ Dr Feelgood

Postby fenderbass » 01 Oct 2012, 21:55

A quick update on Steve Walwyn, guitarist with Dr Feelgood. I spoke to him after their gig at King Tuts in Glasgow last Friday, 28th September.
Steve says Rory was a huge influence. He first heard Rory on the radio early 70's, when Steve was about 15 years old.
He went out and bought Live In Europe which is still his favourite Rory album.
Steve learned most of the songs on LIE. He still plays them when home in Leamington Spa. Even an electric guitar version of Going To My Hometown.
He is self taught guitarist but learned a lot from guitarist Colin Giles who played in local band Big Bertha. He is still good friends with Colin and knows their roadie, who is a recent member here, vasdis.
Steve's first band was called HANDS OFF, which I assumed was from the Rory song, but Steve says they got the name from a sticker which their drummer had stuck on the front of his bass drum. It read 'Hands Off Golden Nuggets' and was a free sticker with a box of breakfast cereals called Golden Nuggets. Hard to believe but Steve says that's true enough.
They did play the song Hands Off but no other Rory songs.
Steve joined Dr Feelgood in 1989 and during this time he met Rory twice, both at festivals in Germany. He remembers, backstage, how Rory came over and introduced himself by saying 'hello I'm Rory'. Steve said that obviously everyone knew who he was and needed no introduction but that was Rory's personality, on the shy side not wanting to be the centre of attention.
On their second meeting Steve, Rory and Gerry had a late night session in their hotel after the festival. Steve remembers it was a great night and one he'll never forget, drinking, chatting with his hero.
fenderbass
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 21 Mar 2010, 00:37

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests