The Taste of Cream may have been so Sweet

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

The Taste of Cream may have been so Sweet

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Sep 2012, 12:05

Listening to Donal in this recent interview..
Makes you think that Rory could have made the wrong decision on not taking up the offer to join Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker with Cream in 1969. After all Taste split up a year later. With Rory having then to go out and find & hire for himself a new bass player and drummer.

Tasty Cream indeed, they definitely would have been. Three of the best guys ever in the business for improvisation in their field of music at that moment in time. You can see in later years when Jack Bruce played a few songs with Rory in Cologne Germany in 1990. A glimpse of what might have been, with their great playing off each other and improvisation then and not even in their prime state and practice.

I think Rory made the right decision not joining the Rolling Stones and Deep Purple. 'Cause he would have just been a part player with them.
This Cream offer though was a missed opportunity and would have been a step up in his musical career IMHO. To be playing up front still and showing / sharing his skills with maybe better musicians onstage. How huge might they have been hey?

What are your thoughts Rory Fans ?
Jay Jay

Re: The Taste of Cream may have been so sweet

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Sep 2012, 12:21

I'd forgotten Rory and Jack Bruce with Charlie Watts (Stones) were together playing also before in 1984

Jay Jay

Re: The Taste of Cream may have been so sweet

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 12:38

Jay Jay wrote:Listening to Donal in this recent interview..
Makes you think that Rory could have made the wrong decision on not taking up the offer to join Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker with Cream in 1969. After all Taste split up a year later. With Rory having then to go out and find & hire for himself a new bass player and drummer.

Tasty Cream indeed, they definitely would have been. Three of the best guys ever in the business for improvisation in their field of music at that moment in time. You can see in later years when Jack Bruce played a few songs with Rory in Cologne Germany in 1990. A glimpse of what might have been, with their great playing off each other and improvisation then and not even in their prime state and practice.

I think Rory made the right decision not joining the Rolling Stones and Deep Purple. 'Cause he would have just been a part player with them.
This Cream offer though was a missed opportunity and would have been a step up in his musical career IMHO. To be playing up front still and showing / sharing his skills with maybe better musicians also.

It's an interesting thing to think over, Jay Jay. I have read about the Rolling Stones and Deep Purple as possible groups for Rory to join.
And while listening to this BBC interview I actually thought it was good nothing of it happened.
Rory was so marvellous on his own. (Of course, with other musicians of the group by his side). And his style and manner were so different. Maybe I just can't imagine how it could be. It is really hard to speak about Rory in terms of him joining a group. It seems more natural to speak of him forming a group which he did.
But yes, that performance with Jack Bruce was great. When I first saw it I thought: "Oh, how could it be! They played together! And how good they are together!" But it is all very well for a short time. In my opinion such artists are shining too brightly with their own musical ideas overflowing to keep proper relationship balance in a group if I may say so.
And I should say that Eric Clapton was the very guitarist for Cream. He is a good teamworker by the way. At least I got such an impression after seeing him collaborating with so many musicians. :)
Last edited by Inna on 19 Sep 2012, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.
Inna

Re: The Taste of Cream may have been so Sweet

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 13:23

What I meant to say is that Rory Gallagher as a songwriter was so brilliant and outstanding and at the same time he was a powerful singer not to mention his perfection as a guitar player. And as we know Jack Bruce is also an eager and powerful singer. Perhaps that too could be one of the reasons why Cream split as Eric Clapton perhaps wanted to have more leading vocal parts as well. I don't know the history of Cream particularly well, just some bits of information. So I apologise if I sound too careless speaking about this great group.
Inna

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Sep 2012, 13:34

Inna wrote:What I meant to say is that Rory Gallagher as a songwriter was so brilliant and outstanding and at the same time he was a powerful singer not to mention his perfection as a guitar player. And as we know Jack Bruce is also an eager and powerful singer. Perhaps that too could be one of the reasons why Cream split as Eric Clapton perhaps wanted to have more leading vocal parts as well. I don't know the history of Cream particularly well, just some bits of information. So I apologise if I sound too careless speaking about this great group.

Hi Inna, I understand what you are saying and agree in a way that this is what happens in most bands.

But take also the example of Lennon and McCartney songwriting. To me Rory and Jack could have added or complimented each other in more ways than one. Plus both singing and helping write songs would have taken some of the load and worry off Rory. Let's face it, all that Rory took on did probably age him prematurely and was not good for his health IMO, in his later years.

A comment I put on FB .. Not many bands last for long. It would have been nice to have seen Cream with Rory for as long as it lasted with Taste maybe. We still would have had the Rory Gallagher band for 20 years or more :)
Jay Jay

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 16:28

Jay Jay wrote:
Hi Inna, I understand what you are saying and agree in a way that this is what happens in most bands.

But take also the example of Lennon and McCartney songwriting. To me Rory and Jack could have added or complimented each other in more ways than one. Plus both singing and helping write songs would have taken some of the load and worry off Rory. Let's face it, all that Rory took on did probably age him prematurely and was not good for his health IMO, in his later years.

Hello Jay Jay, I'm glad you have mentioned Lennon/McCartney partnership! The thought of them occurred to me as well. :) (And I can talk of them for ages as I grew up on the Beatles' music, their music being an enormous part of my life.)

I rather agree that a good, supporting co-writer could have probably eased for Rory the burden of having to keep the pace. It is very important to have someone to rely on.

Jay Jay wrote:A comment I put on FB .. Not many bands last for long.

Yes, that's true. And I suppose it is in most of the cases only natural.

Jay Jay wrote:It would have been nice to have seen Cream with Rory for as long as it lasted with Taste maybe. We still would have had the Rory Gallagher band for 20 years or more :)

For a short period of time Cream with Rory would have been something incredible! It surely would!!

Oh, by the way another remarkable example came to my mind when super-musicians got together, formed a group and recorded two great albums! It's Traveling Wilburys! Though they never performed live.
Inna

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Sep 2012, 19:21

Jay Jay wrote:Listening to Donal in this recent interview..
This Cream offer though was a missed opportunity and would have been a step up in his musical career IMHO. To be playing up front still and showing / sharing his skills with maybe better musicians onstage. How huge might they have been hey?

Ever since I saw the clips of Jack Bruce and Rory playing together in 1990 I've thought the same thing. Especially watching them play Politician and Born Under a Bad Sign- . . . if only . . .

Rory and Jack interacting while playing Politician, I never get tired of watching that. Rory would sometimes play off the bass player in his own band and that was okay, but when he and Jack did it it was more like a musical conversation. Jack would challenge Rory and he would answer him and challenge him right back- sort of like seeing his bet and raising him one more, and Jack would do it . . . And if you watch Rory's facial expressions when he and Jack are trading off each other, he looks so happy, so does Jack, but in addition to Rory's uncanny knack with the guitar, seeing him that happy while engaging with another musician, that's how I remember him best. The clip of them doing I'm Ready- Rory's singing and playing is always great, but Rory has that sparkle in his eyes again. And I would have given everything I have to hear Rory and Bruce harmonize on some vocals.

Imagine how great Rory and Jack would have sounded right after Taste broke up? Rory could sing and play circles around Eric Clapton even then:

(Rory was 20 when he did that with Taste? And BTW does anyone know who did the shamrock drawing? That would have looked good on the bass drum.)

I'm not so sure about Ginger Baker though. That might have felt more to Rory like two against one- like the second formation of Taste. But maybe Rory's drummer Wilgar Campbell would have been a good fit, if Wilgar had come into it at the beginning, so would be new to Rory and Jack.

Yeah, that would have been great. But the band dynamics would have been a little different- I never met Rory, I was lucky enough to see him play a few times, but from what I've read he did take on an awful burden of responsibility. Maybe it would have helped to be able to have an equally brilliant musician to shoulder some of the burden. He seemed very independent, but that doesn't mean he couldn't partner up for some of his writing, and Jack would have been great for that, as long as Rory still had music that was his own as well.

Maybe it was more of an attitude back then- seems like bands that formed back then were bound together more like marriages- Perhaps if Rory and Jack had formed a partnership to work together with an understanding that they were free to write independently of each other or partner with other musicians.

A good example would be Jack White- another musician that has to keep busy playing and performing to be happy. When Jack White was working with his ex-wife Meg in the White Stripes he formed two other bands- the Dead Weather and the Raconteurs. Meg wasn't that keen on live performances (stage fright), so these other collaborations kept him busy and sane.

Yes I agree- Rory and Jack Bruce and a dynamite drummer would have been the ultimate. And maybe some of the burden on Rory would have been lightened.

But it's just another, Oh, if only . . .
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 19 Sep 2012, 20:48

Good question and topic, Jay Jay!

Rory would be never met Gerry if he'd decided to join to Cream, I think. But if he'd did.... it might be some other kind of music...
But we can't travel back to time yet as to get fresh evidences :))
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Sep 2012, 21:20

JimLED wrote:Good question and topic, Jay Jay!

Rory would be never met Gerry if he'd decided to join to Cream, I think. But if he'd did.... it might be some other kind of music...
But we can't travel back to time yet as to get fresh evidences :))

Gerry had already met Rory while he was watching Taste in Belfast, before he joined the Rory Gallagher band in 1971 ;)

I'm just saying as Roberta is saying the same I think. That Jack & Rory together would have added more idea's and color for the Cream band.
Rory was a lot more animated and electrifying on stage than EC so IMHO..

Rory would have been the cherry on top of the Cream ;)
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 19 Sep 2012, 21:45

Yes, but Rory always wished and wanted to have his own band... I can't imagine how it to be a frontman of Cream for Rory. Probably, he didn't want to have any crossed ways with EC.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome