Rory's voice

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory's voice

Postby loulamb » 18 Sep 2012, 19:14

Hello all,One thing i have been thinking about , would love to hear your opinions! is that Rory sang so much over so many years, even when he was in the showband days in which he was screaming and shouting singing in Taste the same, Robert Plant was losing his voice around 1977, Rory must have had difficulty and his voice really felt the strain. Because singers unless they have help and even if they have help often lose their voice if they sing constantly. Rory is not always noted for his excellent voice but if you listen to the Taste records and 'slow down ' showband days. His voice in utterly incredible. I think his later solo days werent a true representation of how incredible his voice is just as Robert Plant lost his voice Rory worked his voice as much as Robert Plant did. As a singer I know how your voice can be affected even one day of singing Rory's stuff would affect my voice for a week and he sang night sometimes 2 gigs a night on the trot!

I think his voice particularly in the early days is unbelievable and up there with the best. Someone wrote on the forum about Rory's lyrics not being the best or something. I think Rory's lyrics are beautiful , an incredible singer could sing the alphabet and make it sound brilliant. I think maybe when people didnt feel his lyrics so much was when you could hear strain in his voice in later years. Because thoughout the years by god did he work his voice but we dont think about it because always focus on the guitar. These are two examples where I am utterly mesmerized by the passion, range and height of expression expression in his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwAeM5ZBVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8FS2LxdmVc
loulamb

Re: Rory's voice

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Sep 2012, 22:25

Hi there- that first one, for Slow Down, if that was from 1964 he was only 16? He was just a kid, his voice sounds so much different, and he still had some growing to do. Amazing, just 5 years later with Taste in 1969 his voice sounds so much more mature, his voice sounds much more mature than his years. That's the sound I remember best from when I'd see him play in the '70's. He still sounded great toward the end of this life, although you could hear the strain in his voice, as he was ill and his body failing:
1994-

He was an amazing artist.
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 19 Sep 2012, 00:32

I adore his singing probably because I sing I listen out for it. Its just how he delivered passionate performances night after night on guitar AND vocally .Most singers even recently develop nodules i.e. Adele, Julie andrews I think its natural after time Robert Plant couldnt sing like he used to same with Bob Dylan . His older voice does have that character and soul much like Muddy and thanks for the vid, its a treat.
loulamb

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 11:32

Hello Loulamb,

it's wonderful you have mentioned this aspect of Rory's musicianship!

Couldn't agree more with you. Rory's voice is one of those voices you couldn't confuse with anybody else's. There's so much warmth in it and I would say, there is kindness which is just abundant. Hope, you understand what I mean.
And depending on a song the sound of his voice is different. The tone colour of Rory's voice is absolutely fabulous!

And as for the lyrics.. Yes, you are so right, they are beautiful. In his lyrics Rory is as genuine as in his playing or singing.
Inna

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 11:51

RobertaSparrow wrote:He still sounded great toward the end of this life, although you could hear the strain in his voice, as he was ill and his body failing:
1994-

He was an amazing artist.

RobertaSparrow, thank you for the video! Breathtaking! Even in his later years Rory Gallagher was so powerful!
Last edited by Inna on 21 Sep 2012, 05:51, edited 2 times in total.
Inna

Postby Sinner Girl » 20 Sep 2012, 14:43

I love Rory's voice, even many people under rated him as singer to me has a warm powerful and kind a bluesy voice . Hm I must say that very appreciated Jimi Hendrix as guitar player but to me is not a great singer

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby JimLED » 20 Sep 2012, 16:49

Milka, welcome!
Great Rory start! :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Sinner Girl » 20 Sep 2012, 17:09

JimLED wrote:Milka, welcome!
Great Rory start! :)

;) ;) ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Simone67 » 21 Sep 2012, 15:31

...I always love Rory`s voice !
I could listen to it all day and all night. I love his singing as well as his speaking voice. When he speaks,there is something very soothing in the voice,on top of the very interesting things he would talk about.-That is why I regularly listen to Rory interviews on the net,even repeatedly....,when I´m not listening to his music ! :D
Simone67

Postby loulamb » 21 Sep 2012, 19:41

Yes! speaking voice is very musical its lovely in the interviews wish there were more interviews! The performance in the marquee his voice is very suited to the blues it seems because of that real human genuine 'down home' voice as opposed to autotuned computer voice -why does that even exist?!! . I think Gerry McAvoy said he thought Rory's voice sounded like a guitar, not sure about that one but it ceeeertainly complements his playing.

I'm loving this with the harp

loulamb

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome