Understanding Rory Gallagher's Lyrics

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Understanding Rory Gallagher's Lyrics

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Sep 2012, 18:23

folkdeejay wrote:I think Rory sings " Then I read the leaves" .... but, as in many songs, the lyrics are sung to a tune, and the "I-rea" bit of the lyric is, for want of a better word, "stretched out" to fit the phrasing.

Wow- I think you're right- I listened to the live one again, and he does do that. He's just making it fit. He sings, "Then I read the leaves and put my cup away." A perfect song for first thing in the morning!

If I may ask one, on Cruise On Out- I love this one- especially when he did this one live- But what does he mean by "cat clothes" anyway? . . .

RobertaSparrow

Postby Sinnerboy » 19 Sep 2012, 09:02

He Borrowed the line 'cat clothes' from the Carl Perkins song 'Put your Cat Clothes on' it means getting dressed up in your best gear - the stuff you look really hot in so you can get down and boogie!

They took my blue suede shoes, down to ol' Mobile
Got to rockin' with the rhythm, run 'em over at the hill
Put you catclothes on
'Cause tonight we're gonna really rock it right
Yeah Kitty, put your catclothes on
'Cause tonight we're gonna really bop it right
Well I slicked up myself till I-I looked like a dilly
I run down town to get my female Billy
Put you cat clothes on
Rock it!

Well my ol' gal's slow and easy, but all the hepcats know
When she gets that rockin' beat
She knocks the polish off her toes
Put you catclothes on
Slap cat!

Well now come on cat get with it
Keep your hands off that fruitjar
Do some be-boppin' rhythm, pick your toenails up tomorrow
Put you catclothes on
Sinnerboy

Postby Sinnerboy » 19 Sep 2012, 09:12

Inna I guess we'll have to establish who exactly Rory is talking about in 'Loose Talk' - maybe some aspect of the music business that he didn't like, when we have that then we could possibly pin the lyrics down a bit more.

This is a great topic - as a Rory performer I have often learned lyrics parrot fashion without really knowing what they mean - it's gonna change!!

Barry
Sinnerboy

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 10:10

Sinnerboy wrote:Inna I guess we'll have to establish who exactly Rory is talking about in 'Loose Talk' - maybe some aspect of the music business that he didn't like, when we have that then we could possibly pin the lyrics down a bit more.

This is a great topic - as a Rory performer I have often learned lyrics parrot fashion without really knowing what they mean - it's gonna change!!

Barry

Hello Barry,

thank you so much for your support and approval of the topic! I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like to really get it right.
Yes, your point about "Loose Talk" is very interesting. I didn't think about it this way.

I too love to sing along (though I'm not a performer) and it's just great when you fully understand what you are singing about. Besides Rory's lyrics are very special compared to other artists' lyrics. Though I'm not trying to diminish other truly talented artists' work. Rory's lyrics just stand apart to my mind. Take for example his heartfelt love songs...
The words of his songs are clever and not trivial. And there is so much feeling and emotion which is so sincere. Each his song is a whole world both musically and lyrically.
Last edited by Inna on 19 Sep 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Inna

Postby Inna » 19 Sep 2012, 10:32

Sinnerboy wrote:He Borrowed the line 'cat clothes' from the Carl Perkins song 'Put your Cat Clothes on' it means getting dressed up in your best gear - the stuff you look really hot in so you can get down and boogie!

How it is amazing to learn that this is a reference to the other great musician's song!
Inna

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Sep 2012, 20:03

Sinnerboy wrote:He Borrowed the line 'cat clothes' from the Carl Perkins song 'Put your Cat Clothes on' it means getting dressed up in your best gear - the stuff you look really hot in so you can get down and boogie!

Thank you Barry,
I couldn't figure that one out, and I shoulda. My parents were teenagers when I was born, and that was in '53. I grew up hearing Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, etc., and should have known that!

:lol: Cynthia
RobertaSparrow

Postby Sinnerboy » 20 Sep 2012, 12:09

Well I was born in '52 Cynthia but I only knew about the Beatles and Stones until I was 16, when Perkins and Elvis etc. were in full swing I was much too young to take notice.
Sinnerboy

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Sep 2012, 19:46

Sinnerboy wrote:Well I was born in '52 Cynthia but I only knew about the Beatles and Stones until I was 16, when Perkins and Elvis etc. were in full swing I was much too young to take notice.

Well, that stuff that Rory used to listen to when he was growing up, that's the same kind of music that my parents and aunts and uncles were listening to over here in the American Southwest. Rory was often quoted as being influenced by music he used to hear on U.S. Armed Forces Radio- stuff the soldiers used to listen to overseas when they were homesick. My dad was a soldier stationed in Germany around that time, and it's the kind of music the young adults over here listened to- when I was a toddler I remember my mom singing to the radio, stuff like Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Larry Williams, Johnny Cash, Hank Snow, Patsy Cline. I didn't care much for any of it, but that's 'cause it's what the "grown-ups" listened to. I remember hearing Hank Snow singing I'm Moving On, and hating it- it seemed like old people music to me- There were a few exceptions- Buddy Holly stood out, as did Chuck Berry, and my mom had a 45 of Elvis singing One Night that I listened to 'till they took the record away from me. But most of it was too "grown-up."

When I was in Jr. High School the Beatles arrived in a big way, and that was the beginning. And then years later in High School, I heard Taste- Rory singing I'm Moving On, but it was new, fresh, magical, and most importantly, not like anything my parents would ever listen to. I recognized it right away, the same song! But Rory's interpretation- it was a revelation to me!

I think that's what really made the "British Invasion" such a success- The Beatles, the Yardbirds, the Stones, and of course Rory, took that music, made it new, made it theirs, and gave it back to us. Who could resist?
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome