Lou Martin R.I.P

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Lou Martin R.I.P

Postby Dwana Horner » 23 Aug 2012, 16:27

Jennifer Nicholes sent me a couple of photos of Lou as he looked before he passed..totally different and i wouldn't have
recognized his face..if she hadn't told me she was sending me a couple of shots of him. I've lost a lot of my family to
various types of cancers and it strips your body of every reconizable feature..all this still hurts to know he's gone..that
way. :( :( :(
(I'm not posting those photos anywhere..not even on my facebook page..those are private and personal)
Dwana
Dwana Horner

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Aug 2012, 01:13

Jennifer Nicholes sent me a couple of photos of Lou as he looked before he passed..totally different and i wouldn't have
recognized his face..if she hadn't told me she was sending me a couple of shots of him. I've lost a lot of my family to
various types of cancers and it strips your body of every reconizable feature..all this still hurts to know he's gone..that
way. :( :( :(

R.I.P. Lou Martin.
So sorry to hear. Cancer is such a cruel disease. We're all "renters" in this plane of existence, we will all meet our own fates eventually, after we've learned or completed whatever we are here to do. But it is so hard to understand why God allows so much suffering and pain as he had to go through. But there is no pain or sadness on the other side, and I believe Lou had friends and family waiting there to help him cross. I've no doubt that Rory was there for him. I've no doubt that he is at peace now.
RobertaSparrow

Postby roryfan » 24 Aug 2012, 01:52

Gallagher pianist’s death mourned on Leeside
From The Cork News
http://thecorknews.ie/articles/gallaghe ... eside-7009

Lou Martin, the pianist and organist who made a key contribution to the definitive phase of Rory Gallagher’s recorded career in the mid 1970s, passed away in England last Friday, aged 63.

Ger Kenneally, organiser of the annual Cork Rocks for Rory festival, said the death of Belfast-born Lou Martin was “very sad news” for fans of Rory Gallagher.

“Lou Martin was primarily a session musician, rather than a bandleader, but he was an absolutely amazing keyboard player, and for me, the line-up of Rory’s band that he was a member of in the 1970s was the best Rory Gallagher band ever,” Ger said.

Martin first joined Gallagher, bass player Gerry McAvoy and drummer Rod deAth for the 1973 albums Blueprint and Tattoo, and also played on Against the Grain (1975), Calling Card (1976) and Photo Finish (1978).
He also added a fiery edge to the band’s live sound, his probing, exploratory keyboards often prompting the guitarist to inspired improvisational flights on such classic tunes as Walk on Hot Coals, best heard on the Irish Tour ’74 live album.

“Lou Martin was as unique as Rory in his own right. If you wanted to hear him play anything the same way twice, you’d have to listen to the studio recording. When he and Rory were on the same stage, there was no knowing what direction any song would take,” Ger said.

Ger added: “I thought Rod deAth was an amazing drummer, and McEvoy a superb bassist too, and the four of them together were just incredible. My favourite performance of theirs is I’ll Take What I Want from a 1977 Rockpalast gig in Germany. It always blows me away.”

Martin was as much committed to improvisation as his bandleader, and when in mid-solo, hunched over the keyboards with his long hair covering his face, he would often require reminding that he was playing at a gig.
“Because he had that style, and went so far into the music, Rory would often have to wander over to him and tap his keyboard to bring him back to earth,” Ger said.

Martin left the band in 1978, but also collaborated on tracks on the guitarist’s final two albums, Defender (1987) and Fresh Evidence (1990).
Having endured a period of illness in recent years, including a battle with cancer and a number of strokes, Martin died peacefully in Bournemouth, Dorset.

john g
roryfan

Postby Geo » 24 Aug 2012, 14:08

R.I.P. Lou, you were an amazing player!
Geo

Postby Fast Eddie Nelson » 25 Aug 2012, 04:47

Rest in Peace Lou...

More than just a player. Amazing imagination, even playing on the masters songs....

Will be missed .... Dearly...
Fast Eddie Nelson

Postby leprechaun1 » 29 Aug 2012, 22:52

i have listened to Rory's band for years and to lose Rory was a hit i won't soon get past and to lose Lou was another. i enjoyed his playing and his work with Rory. oviously i never knew either of them but to hear their music always makes my day. the world is a darker place without them in it. may god love and keep them forever and ever.
leprechaun1

Postby roryfan » 30 Aug 2012, 02:05

nice to see old band members, including Rod, paying their respects
roryfan

Postby Jay Jay » 30 Aug 2012, 11:13

roryfan wrote:nice to see old band members, including Rod, paying their respects

Yes Lou, you certainly got all the old Rory band mates together again

Lou Martin R.I.P Gathering.jpg

3 Rory Drummers.jpg

Ted McKenna ..

We gathered today at St. Thomas More, Kidlington to say farewell to Lou Martin who died recently after a long illness. This sombre occasion was balanced, for those who knew him, with fond memories of the good times they shared with Lou over the years.
As the photos show, we headed back to Lou's favourite local watering hole, The Red Lion and drank a few in his honour. It seems like a long time since so many of us who knew or worked with Rory and Lou, were all together in the same place. Rory's brother Donal Gallagher, Gerry McAvoy, Tom O'Driscoll, Phil McDonnell, Dave Edwards and others. Please forgive me for not remembering all of the names. Of course the company included drummers Rod De'Ath and Brendan O'Neill, who along with myself, "whacked the skins" with Rory, years 1972 to, I think, 1992?
Near the end of the service, something surprising and unexpected happened. As the priest conducting the commendation and farewell, one of the more senior altar boys stood a bit too close to one of six tall candles that surrounded the coffin and the back of his cassock went on fire. Thankfully, there was no injury or damage except for the cassock when it had to be slapped and stamped on to get the flames out. I am assured by those who knew Lou's sense of humour and love of slapstick, that he would have found it very funny.
It was a grand farewell Lou! Thanks for bringing us all together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 30 Aug 2012, 14:08

Lou playing at Rory's funeral in Cork in 1995 and tribute to Lou too :cry:

Rory Gallagher & Lou Martin R.I.P
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Aug 2012, 22:33

Jay Jay wrote:Lou playing at Rory's funeral in Cork in 1995 and tribute to Lou too :cry:

Rory Gallagher & Lou Martin R.I.P

Very nice photo of them all together again. Also nice to see Donal and Gerry standing together again.

Were both songs in the recording from Rory's funeral/wake? Or just A Million Miles Away?
:cry: :cry: :cry:
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome