Did Rory ever play with Albert (not Alvin) Lee?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Did Rory ever play with Albert (not Alvin) Lee?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Jul 2012, 18:59

Did Rory ever perform with Albert Lee? A lot of work done by Albert was erroneously attributed to Alvin and vice versa. Rory and Albert's styles would have been complementary to each other, but I haven't found anything yet where they actually played together. An internet search seems to always bring up the same mixed results, and I know Rory and Alvin Lee worked together. Anyone know?
RobertaSparrow

Re: Did Rory ever play with Albert (not Alvin) Lee?

Postby roryfan » 25 Jul 2012, 03:34

At least once on the Jerry Lee Lewis Sessions
see
http://www.roryon.com/blues.html

see http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/London+ ... 73/3265821 you can play the tracks both played on
john g
roryfan

Postby Strat59 » 25 Jul 2012, 05:29

Tried to upload a photo but having trouble.

Google - Jerry Lee Rory Gallagher The Session go down to London Sessions Kyle Esplin Link , a couple of nice shots in the Studio.

Now that would be a session you would love to have been witnessing ! Rory , Jerry Lee , Albert Lee , Peter Frampton , Kenny Jones , Klaus Voorman
Last edited by Strat59 on 25 Jul 2012, 05:45, edited 3 times in total.
Strat59

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Jul 2012, 05:32

Hi Roryfan,
Thanks, I'd read the story of Rory and Jerry and John, but never noticed the reference to Albert Lee.

I don't know why but I thought the Jerry Lee Lewis sessions were with Alvin Lee, interesting that both unrelated Lees were there. I'll give the tracks a listen. :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Jul 2012, 05:53

Strat59 wrote:Tried to upload a photo but having trouble.

Google - Jerry Lee Rory Gallagher The Session go down to London Sessions Kyle Esplin Link , a couple of nice shots in the Studio.

Now that would be a session you would love to have been witnessing ! Rory , Jerry Lee , Albert Lee , Peter Frampton , Kenny Jones , Klaus Voorman

Tell me someone got it on video? I saw Albert Lee play live once at UCLA- I was speechless. Oh, to see Rory and him play on the same stage...
RobertaSparrow

Postby Strat59 » 25 Jul 2012, 09:02

I saw another link that showed colour stills from the session so you would think someone might have shot footage of such a legendary session.
Talk about Raw Talent amongst those guys. :D

In some of the stills it showed Rory with his White Tele as well as the venerable Strat. A young Albert Lee and Peter Frampton would also have been something
to behold back then.

Don't know whether Mercury Records shot anything , they did have the photos taken for the album.

Donal might know if something was filmed.
Strat59

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Aug 2012, 11:54

RobertaSparrow wrote:

Tell me someone got it on video? I saw Albert Lee play live once at UCLA- I was speechless. Oh, to see Rory and him play on the same stage...

Here is the picture of them all ;)
Click on picture to make larger

Abert Lee & Rory with Jerry Lee.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Aug 2012, 15:08

Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:

Here is the picture of them all ;)
Click on picture to make larger

Abert Lee & Rory with Jerry Lee.jpg

Hmmmm . . . well, Rory and Jerry Lee are unmistakable- in fact it looks like this photo was a few frames from the one where Rory is showing Jerry Lee Lewis how to play Satisfaction . . . but the person on the far left? Are you sure that's Albert Lee? 'Cause that person looks taller, with darker, straighter hair, and a moustache . . . :?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Aug 2012, 15:51

RobertaSparrow wrote:Hmmmm . . . well, Rory and Jerry Lee are unmistakable- in fact it looks like this photo was a few frames from the one where Rory is showing Jerry Lee Lewis how to play Satisfaction . . . but the person on the far left? Are you sure that's Albert Lee? 'Cause that person looks taller, with darker, straighter hair, and a moustache . . .

Yes it's him alright .. he had a full set of whiskers / beard when he did the Jerry Lee Lewis Sessions 1972. Just looked in the sleeve of CD. There are quite a few color photo's of Albert Lee and Jerry Lee together.. Unfortunately I ain't got a scanner to put them up here.
You've probably got used to seeing him with silver hair this last decade or two?
Here are two tracks from those Jerry Lee Lewis ~ London Sessions 1972

Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Aug 2012, 17:39

I stand corrected- I've seen recent clips of Albert playing Julie's House, and he appears considerably older and with silver hair. I saw Albert Lee play live in 1990 at UCLA, his hair wasn't silver as it is now, but it was very light and curled, and he had no beard. Amazing how facial hair can change a man's appearance so. When I saw him appeared on stage with a number of guitarists playing different genres with very diverse styles- he followed a classical guitarist. Pretty much charged onto the stage playing Country Boy. When I saw him he looked and sounded very much like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... lkVA0iRi6M

That clip was from a series of instructional videos- can't get it to display properly. He's almost lost his English accent in that clip, but that's just temporary- surrounded by a different accent, people pick up the pronunciations of their surroundings without even realizing it. He seems very much like Rory personality-wise, very willing to explain his techniques and help new players to learn, and fast as lightening. IMHO Rory's playing was much more soulful, at least as fast but way more passionate. Still would have loved to see them both on the same stage.

Albert Lee is still going strong. Odd to think he's 5 years older than Rory would be if only . . .
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome