"Get Donal and Gerry to make-up !!!"

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: "Get Donal and Gerry to make-up !!!"

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Jul 2012, 10:13

nickskelson wrote:No way Jay Jay. It's not my place to be contacting Gerry or anyone about such personal issues.
We can talk here about our hopes and wishes -- but there is no way I would invade the privacy of anybody, sticking my nose in and asking personal questions.
Absolutely no way.
Who am I? - I'm just someone who has copied Gerry since I was 17 the best I can.
I would never even talk to Gerry unless he approached me - sometimes when you look up to someone it is better to leave them up there.

I understand Nick, that's just what I thought about it when I got the mistakenly sent email. If the other way around, if Gerry does contact me though, I'll answer the email as truthfully and best I can. Which I did with Marcel from BOF's.
You never know now though, Gerry or Marcel maybe reading this and Gerry may contact you Nick and mediate somehow that way hopefully.

See you soon with the Sinnerboys

PS: Deuce, you wanted Sinnerboy and The band of friends next year @ The Rory Fest 2013.. Isn't this the best way in this Shadow Play ;)
Jay Jay

Postby Strat59 » 19 Jul 2012, 17:45

I haven't read Gerry's book so can't comment in that regard. But as to the comments that Rory could have done without a Bass Player , maybe. But in my opinion the combination of Rory & Gerry was a match made in heaven. They seemed to feed off each other and had a psychic connection on stage when playing together. I've
seen Rory with other Bass players but it was never as good as when playing with Gerry .

Whatever has been written I hope good sense and appologies can be forthcoming in the Memory of Rory. Who would have known Noel Redding if not for Jimi Hendrix.
As good as Gerry is , playing alongside Rory made his name. That's the bottom line.
Strat59

Postby Flamenca » 19 Jul 2012, 18:42

Strat59 wrote: As good as Gerry is , playing alongside Rory made his name. That's the bottom line.

Yes I have to agree. I remember my boyfriend Brian buying Gerry's first solo album. It must have been in about 1972. Bri didn't like it but I did. I remember playing it for a few weeks on my little Dansette record player made from chipboard and coated in a blue kind of plastic laminate! There were a few good tracks but I suspect it didn't get the promotional spend required to launch Gerry as a solo artist. As far as I know, Brian still has all of his vinyl collection so there's probably still a copy in an attic somewhere in St. Helens!
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Jul 2012, 00:27

Strat59 » 19 Jul 2012, 09:45
I haven't read Gerry's book so can't comment in that regard. But as to the comments that Rory could have done without a Bass Player , maybe. But in my opinion the combination of Rory & Gerry was a match made in heaven. They seemed to feed off each other and had a psychic connection on stage when playing together. I've seen Rory with other Bass players but it was never as good as when playing with Gerry .
Whatever has been written I hope good sense and appologies can be forthcoming in the Memory of Rory. Who would have known Noel Redding if not for Jimi Hendrix.
As good as Gerry is , playing alongside Rory made his name. That's the bottom line.

Agree to disagree- IMHO this is a match made in heaven:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/VMb_ax9le1o[/youtube] http://youtu.be/VMb_ax9le1o Politician

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Sw3QK8pMg9c[/youtube] http://youtu.be/Sw3QK8pMg9c Born Under a Bad Sign

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Yv2pBYiS-04[/youtube] http://youtu.be/Yv2pBYiS-04 I'm Ready

Rory Gallagher and Jack Bruce- Just watch them in Politician- In my opinion it couldn't get any better- Jack Bruce's withering hot bass playing, and Rory is right back at him, they each met their match and they are having a blast. No goofy posturing or splaying- just blistering hot blues. Now that's a match made in heaven.

And this is one of those later performances, Rory's health is declining but while he's playing he's so happy. Well worth the viewing.

Gerry owes Rory for whatever fame and fortune he now has. He ought to approach Donal with that in mind.
Last edited by RobertaSparrow on 25 Jul 2012, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Simone67 » 20 Jul 2012, 16:39

Hi all,

I´ve been giving all this a lot of thought and I can well understand everyone`s viewpoint on this admittedly more than delicate matter/dilemma....while I am in full realization of part of the difficulty, (as far as first steps toward any reconciliation attempts from either part are concerned..) I still can`t help but feel that if it was possible for even the Queen of England ! to visit Ireland only recently (..and return safely to Britain with her head still on her shoulders...), there has got to be some way that these two men,whom we all in one form or another greatly admire and appreciate,of meeting each other half way and settle all these painful mistakes/misunderstandings...outside of a solicitors office !!?
Much has been said and written as to why Donal is so hurt and deeply disappointed,and I fully comprehend ! -Yet has there ever been any statement or Interview from Gerry`s side,to explain/rectify anything ? This I have been wondering about the whole time...
I truly wish that some day the Band of friends will ( be allowed to..) play the music that has connected so many souls for so many years,under the same banner,in Ballyshannon, as all their fellow musicians.-Sure there is a time for hurt and misunderstanding-in everyone`s lives,perhaps especially among friends and members of our family,because these are the people who can hurt our feelings the most,because we care about them !-But there must be room allowed also,for old wounds to heal,and taking the opportunity to forgive !
Foundations for this in my opinion could be,first and foremost ,the willingness to let go of old grudge in order to open the door to any improvement, an open enough mind and heart, to really see where the other is coming from.
But how to go about this,yes,how to go about it !?-
For love and peace`s- and Rory`s sake, I have never been too afraid to have enough "balls" to step forward and speak my truth. So I ,cap in hand,will say that I honestly believe,that Donal would most probably be willing to forgive and reconcile with Gerry,provided..(now this is where it gets real tricky)...that Gerry apologizes to him about the things that have so deeply hurt his feelings.-This of course would first imply that Gerry,(should he even be aware/insightful to this)would come forward ( in whatever way) and show some kind of readiness for a clearing conversation,and- possibly- an apology.Apologizing is probably the hardest thing to do for most people,as most people would consider this to be a sign of weakness,or of some kind of confession that they have lost,or something of that nature. But I firmly believe it to be a sign of great strength and tallness !!
Not doing so,in the long run,is always the higher price to be paid ! No matter which way one choses to look at it.
I certainly hope that both these influential men,whom we have so much to thank for,will realize this,and for heaven`s sake ! Meet in some pub or whatever,have a few pints together,and talk to each other ! It will work,I am fully convinced,if both will make a specific attempt to try to see it from the other`s point of view,with both of them having reconciliational intents in their hearts,no fingers pointed !

Love and peace and RORY to all !!!!
Simone67

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Jul 2012, 18:25

Simone67 » 20 Jul 2012, 08:39
. . . there has got to be some way that these two men,whom we all in one form or another greatly admire and appreciate,of meeting each other half way and settle all these painful mistakes/misunderstandings...outside of a solicitors office !!?
Much has been said and written as to why Donal is so hurt and deeply disappointed,and I fully comprehend ! -Yet has there ever been any statement or Interview from Gerry`s side,to explain/rectify anything ? This I have been wondering about the whole time... there must be room allowed also,for old wounds to heal,and taking the opportunity to forgive ! ...Foundations for this in my opinion could be,first and foremost ,the willingness to let go of old grudge in order to open the door to any improvement, an open enough mind and heart, to really see where the other is coming from. . . . But how to go about this,yes,how to go about it !?-
For love and peace`s- and Rory`s sake, I have never been too afraid to have enough "balls" to step forward and speak my truth. So I ,cap in hand,will say that I honestly believe,that Donal would most probably be willing to forgive and reconcile with Gerry,provided..(now this is where it gets real tricky)...that Gerry apologizes to him about the things that have so deeply hurt his feelings.-This of course would first imply that Gerry,(should he even be aware/insightful to this)would come forward ( in whatever way) and show some kind of readiness for a clearing conversation,and- possibly- an apology.Apologizing is probably the hardest thing to do for most people,as most people would consider this to be a sign of weakness,or of some kind of confession that they have lost,or something of that nature. But I firmly believe it to be a sign of great strength and tallness !! . . . Not doing so,in the long run,is always the higher price to be paid ! No matter which way one choses to look at it.
I certainly hope that both these influential men,whom we have so much to thank for,will realize this,and for heaven`s sake ! Meet in some pub or whatever,have a few pints together,and talk to each other ! It will work,I am fully convinced,if both will make a specific attempt to try to see it from the other`s point of view,with both of them having reconciliational intents in their hearts,no fingers pointed !

Hello Simone67,
I don't disagree with what you have said, and were it not for this topic thread and the way it has unfolded, it is really between the parties involved. It isn't any of my business, and I know that. But for the sake of discussion, in getting "Donal and Gerry to make up," the moving party- the one who IMHO needs to make the first move, is Gerry.

It seems to me that Donal has tried to do what he thought was best and most fair after his brother's death. Was it not at Donal's request that Gerry participated in Rory's funeral? And on the commentary track on IT74, there are only two people- Donal and Gerry- narrating in the background. That had to be by invitation. In fact, in all the interviews and articles that I have heard and read Donal has been very gracious in his comments in regard to Gerry's friendship and working relationship with Rory. Donal seems very much like Rory in that respect. If you go back and read interviews with Rory, he never publicly said a harsh word or criticized former band members or management even though everyone knew he would have every right to. Rory would always spare the other person's feelings even when they didn't deserve it. Donal seems to be much the same way. He lost his only brother in a very tragic way, and has since worked tirelessly to keep Rory's legacy alive. It wasn't till after that stupid book came out that this rift started.

For love and peace`s- and Rory`s sake, I have never been too afraid to have enough "balls" to step forward and speak my truth. So I ,cap in hand,will say that I honestly believe,that Donal would most probably be willing to forgive and reconcile with Gerry,provided..(now this is where it gets real tricky)...that Gerry apologizes to him about the things that have so deeply hurt his feelings.

It sounds simple enough. And I think you're quite right. As a Catholic I know that if someone has wronged you, once they have come to you and admitted it and asked for forgiveness, you really haven't much choice but to let go of that anger and forgive the person, at least that's the rule over here. I'm pretty sure the same rule applies there. :)

Rory has probably already forgiven Gerry, but Donal and the rest of Rory's family have been hurt, and they are owed an apology and a retraction.
RobertaSparrow

Postby photofinish » 20 Jul 2012, 22:12

I see Gerry is still getting slated......of course most people on here...as usual know what went on........strange that.....thought it was Gerry that spent 20 years with Rory.......
photofinish

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Jul 2012, 22:17

photofinish wrote:I see Gerry is still getting slated......of course most people on here...as usual know what went on........strange that.....thought it was Gerry that spent 20 years with Rory.......

Sorry Mark, can't see this?
Gerry is not getting slated as far as I can see? If he was it is against the forum rules and would be taken off here? Please point out the offensive sentence about Gerry and I will review this?

All that I've ever said is, I admire Gerry's contributions to Rory's fantastic music & performances greatly . Other folk have said they see Jack Bruce as a better bass player not knocking Gerry at all just their opinion. Others have only expressed that Gerry would have been an unknown, if it was not for Rory. Not slating him at all?

So what is the problem? Please show me?

From Strat59 did you miss this on topic .. They seemed to feed off each other and had a psychic connection on stage when playing together. I've seen Rory with other Bass players but it was never as good as when playing with Gerry .
Jay Jay

Postby nickskelson » 21 Jul 2012, 02:04

Here is a really interesting thought for everyone. Highly cynical of me to point this out, but yes, I am a cynic.
Riding Shotgun was released on 03.06.2005. Is that right Jay Jay?
Mrs. Monica Gallagher died on 14.08.2005. Is that right Jay Jay?
Rory, I think I am right in saying? Left all his worldly belongings to his mother? Including business rights? Am I right Jay Jay?
When Mrs. Gallagher died she then left all her worldly belongings to Donal Gallagher Esq. Am I right Jay Jay?
It would appear to me that the commercial enterprise of Rory Gallagher, based on the Experience Hendrix model started shortly after these dates, is that right Jay Jay?
Cynical person I am. Wonder how long this stays on Jay Jay?
I am not making any statements here - just asking questions, and asking Jay Jay for some answers.
Just wondering if Gerrys book upset Donal for business or personal reasons?
Just asking questions? What do people think?
nickskelson

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Jul 2012, 03:12

nickskelson:Here is a really interesting thought for everyone. Highly cynical of me to point this out, but yes, I am a cynic.
Riding Shotgun was released on 03.06.2005. Is that right Jay Jay?
Mrs. Monica Gallagher died on 14.08.2005. Is that right Jay Jay?
Rory, I think I am right in saying? Left all his worldly belongings to his mother? Including business rights? Am I right Jay Jay?
When Mrs. Gallagher died she then left all her worldly belongings to Donal Gallagher Esq. Am I right Jay Jay?
It would appear to me that the commercial enterprise of Rory Gallagher, based on the Experience Hendrix model started shortly after these dates, is that right Jay Jay?
Cynical person I am. Wonder how long this stays on Jay Jay?
I am not making any statements here - just asking questions, and asking Jay Jay for some answers.
Just wondering if Gerrys book upset Donal for business or personal reasons?
Just asking questions? What do people think?

Not quite sure how this will "Get Donal and Gerry to make-up !!!" But I'll play. Gerry McAvoy's book was published June 3, 2005, Rory's mother passed away 2 months and 5 days later, in America a person's last will and testament are public record after it enters into probate, our laws are roughly based on British law, so a will is probably public record through the courts, and if you are referring to the September 24, 2004 court case involving Hendrix's estate, that was fought over between his blood relatives because Jimi died intestate so are governed by the rules of intestate succession, and that's why Jimi's father inherited. And the Mayan calendar also states the world is going to end on 12/21/12 or 21/12/12 depending on where you live. And none of this has anything to do with the price of tea in China.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome