Should be a book re: Donal and Rory from the beginning

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Should be a book re: Donal and Rory from the beginning

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Jul 2012, 21:28

It occurs to me that the unique fraternal bond of undying love and dedication between Donal and Rory would be a very illuminating subject for a book. Just from the interviews I've read and seen about the two of them, they grew up together and worked together their whole lives. Rory was such an extraordinary person, and I never tire of reading or hearing about him. But the role his brother Donal played in his life and the enduring bond between the two brothers is a subject that isn't really covered enough. From early childhood it seems their paths were forever linked, more than most siblings. Rory focused on his calling- his love of music and artistic expression. But Donal's calling was to tirelessly support Rory- working behind the scenes to clear the path for him and try to insure that his older brother's dreams would be attained.

Some of the anecdotes that are already out there are fascinating enough to fill some chapters: Rory enlisting his younger brother's support in ditching school to help him to surreptitiously purchase his famous sunburst strat. Or risking his brother's wrath when Donal reported Rory's infected leg injury to their mother after being beaten by the teachers at his school. He knew Rory needed medical attention, so he decided to do what he thought was right even if Rory didn't agree. Or the accounts of Donal wanting to defend his brother when Rory was being insulted for wearing his hair long when that was considered unacceptable in the early days. Or the numerous accounts of Donal working behind the scenes during Rory's touring days, and being his older brother's constant advocate and champion. And in Rory's final years, again risking his brother's anger to try and help him when he needed it most but couldn't admit it.

And even now, he still carries the torch and looks after his beloved brother's affairs as best he can. Rory was a beautiful human being and a brilliantly gifted musician and artist, and we won't ever forget that, but it would be a shame if Donal's supporting role in Rory's life was glossed over. You could say that Donal was the wind beneath Rory's wings.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Should be a book re: Donal and Rory from the beginning

Postby Olav » 10 Jul 2012, 10:00

I totally agree with you Roberta. Thank you for your post.
Olav

Postby Sinner Girl » 10 Jul 2012, 11:23

Olav wrote:I totally agree with you Roberta. Thank you for your post.

Also I fully agree, Thank you for lovely post, RobertaSparrow
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Jul 2012, 15:24

I agree! Donal is such a lovely man. He was and still is Rory's guardian angel. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RoryRocksOn » 16 Oct 2014, 00:26

Belated reply (and hopefully a bump for this thread!) - what a great idea! The brothers do seem to have had a remarkable and wonderful relationship. I myself have never come across any siblings quite like them. And Donal SO deserves some page space too, for the reasons that Roberta so rightly said.
RoryRocksOn

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome