Marina Hotel, Rhyl, 1994 / Rory's Health issues?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Marina Hotel, Rhyl, 1994 / Rory's Health issues?

Postby Flamenca » 11 Jul 2012, 16:44

Bit busy at the moment so I will have to be brief.

Donal was caught between a rock and a hard place ... leave Rory at home to sink even deeper, have him certified under the Mental Health Act (not as easy to do as it might seem because Rory wasn't consciously suicidal as far as I know) or get Rory back on the road to engage with an audience and people to pull him out of himself. Rightly or wrongly, he chose the lesser of the three evils.

Rory had been in and out of rehab for years, but kept going back to his old ways. A change of environment sometimes helps addicts to recover so early in 1993 Donal got Rory a permanent suite at the Conrad Hotel, but Rory still didn't change his ways. I don't think that Rory's duplex was an emotionally healthy place to live either. It was too secluded. He didn't see real life go by because he was so high up and on an inner city main road above a restaurant. Maybe he wanted that so as not to annoy anyone with his loud music late at night, but it wasn't good for him in my opinion because it isolated him from interacting with the neighbours, most of whom were transient tenants in that development anyway, because the other duplexes were rentals. Not good emotionally for anyone. In my honest opinion, what Rory really needed was a family of his own but he wasn't ready to settle down until he reached forty years old. By then, unfortunately his poor health had affected his appearance and confidence. I regret judging him harshly back then, but I'll just have to live with that now.

Donal couldn't do right for wrong and don't forget, Rory could be a right little stinker at times to his younger brother ... he wasn't all sweetness and light all of the time ...
Flamenca

Re: Marina Hotel, Rhyl, 1994

Postby photofinish » 11 Jul 2012, 22:28

RobertaSparrow wrote:IN RE:

and At the risk of being banned from the site:

nickskelson wrote:Yes boys, I was there, wish I hadn't been there though.
Firstly I was in a bad state of mind, coz how could Rory have replaced the great Gerry McAvoy with an unknown, ...I had seen Rory at least 10 times before this gig, and each time Jen and me had some of the best times of our lives. ... None of these friends had ever seen Rory in his prime however - I had. Rory wasn't much better than the band. He just stood there going through the motions, bumbled about, and it was so bloody sad to see the man I loved in such a state.... I am not going to publicly vilify people here (coz I don't want to get banned from the site, or sued by u no who), but I have very strong opinions about this state of affairs. At the end of the day, Rory was a grown man - he was his own man.... Rory himself was not really there. It was just some overblown bumbling guy who I didn't recognise. ... I wish we never went near Rhyl that night. I would much prefer my last memory of the great man to be at The Powerhouse Club in Birmingham 1988 - where he was still the greatest performer of hard-rocking blues ever. ...Instead the last time I saw him was in this state. A sorry old man who was a shell of the great performer he had been. ... This is a true and honest account of the last time I saw my primary musical influence. Those of you who see Rory as a "God like person" just don't know the truth. I was forced to see it with my own eyes and ears.[color=#BF00BF][/color]

Some of those statements make my blood boil, and maybe I shouldn't post this, but hey, I was never one to worry too much about offending someone else if I have something to say. I read the entire post earlier, and I want to amend my earlier post because I just can't let it go, and I still have more to say. " how could Rory have replaced the great Gerry McAvoy with an unknown" The "great" Gerry McAvoy, by his own admission, left Rory.

Perhaps Rory was off his game that night BECAUSE HE WAS ILL. Dying, in fact. And, as far as the quality of the backing musicians, based purely on a certain book I read, whose author purported to have intimate knowledge of Rory's health issues, and was admittedly in a position to intervene to help on several occasions but had instead turned his back on the one he called his friend. Rory could have used a little help and support. In fact, purely based on the words in the book, the author in effect tossed an anchor to a drowning man, then went on his merry way.

Few who survived through the last few decades- especially the 60's and 70.s- have been lucky enough to have escaped without seeing at least one friend or relative succumb to excess of drugs (legal or otherwise) and/or alcohol. We all deal with it in the usual ways. We look the other way and hope the person will get better on their own, or pretend it's not really a problem and decide to "party on" and either invite or encourage the person to indulge and not think about it, or try to show someone that maybe there is another way to coexist in a world where drugs and alcohol are seen as a way to cope. I've done my share of alcohol and drugs, (particularly marijuana as my drug of choice back then), and was always able to walk away when enough was enough. But not everyone can, and when a friend is in trouble and you think it is alcohol and/or pills or whatever you don't make it worse. The last thing you do is say, "forget it, let's go to the pub."

Would it really have been that difficult to refrain from drinking or whatever in front of someone who is so obviously struggling? Maybe lead by example? Maybe try to change a few patterns or routines to help someone cope with their fears and stresses?

Would it not have been better to grow some cojones and try to tell the man what was in his mind while Rory was alive, when it might have made a difference instead of saying them in a book after he's gone? When Rory can no longer defend himself or offer a reply? I don't personally know anyone on this site. But I do know from firsthand knowledge that not everything in that book was accurate. However, even a broken clock is true at least twice a day, and I trust that the author's own opinions are at least true to what he believed at the time. And if there is a kernel of truth in any of it, it was that Rory needed help, that certain people who could have helped were instead what in modern day terms would be called enablers, and that the author of the book may feel guilty for what he did and did not do. I sure as hell would.

And I surely don't mean to imply that Donal wasn't trying his best to help his brother. I'm saying that he did the best he could, but he couldn't do it alone. And I think that the author of that book was one of maybe a handful of people close enough to the situation who could have helped Donal reach Rory. He could have at least tried.

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but a blind person who has seen Rory's later performances could see he was ill. Yeah, he was probably drunk, and I don't know how much of it was really his fault- his body was failing him at that point, so who can say how much was alcohol and how much was damage already done. But think about it- especially those who saw him in the early days, something more was going on there.

There is an interview with Rory from 1976, and the interviewer asks him a really off-the-wall question (see clip at 6:18). It catches him off guard, and his eyes betray his feelings.

http://youtu.be/171igFdk3pE

And in a later interview, beginning at 1:55 in this clip, you can clearly see the pain there.

http://youtu.be/HfAc8QbafAk

Whatever was troubling him was there for a while, and over time I think it got to a point where he sought help from his doctors. I believe their advice is what set him on the path that killed him. Maybe someone could have intervened but what's done is done. And God has His reasons.

"He just stood there going through the motions, bumbled about, and it was so bloody sad to see the man I loved in such a state ... Rory himself was not really there. It was just some overblown bumbling guy who I didn't recognise. ... I wish we never went near Rhyl that night. I would much prefer my last memory of the great man to be at The Powerhouse Club in Birmingham 1988 - where he was still the greatest performer of hard-rocking blues ever. ...Instead the last time I saw him was in this state. A sorry old man who was a shell of the great performer he had been. ... This is a true and honest account of the last time I saw my primary musical influence. Those of you who see Rory as a "God like person" just don't know the truth. I was forced to see it with my own eyes and ears."

I'm sorry, but that is just a crock of horse shit. Take a look at the clip from 1994- He was ill, he needed help. But he was very much alive. He wasn't the 22-year-old on the stage at the Isle of Wight anymore- he was a mature man who maybe couldn't carry on like he could when he was a kid, but can any of us? He wasn't old. He was 2 years younger than actor Johnny Depp is now (and I think if they make a movie about Rory, Johnny Depp would be a good choice to play him, but that's just my opinion). And he certainly hadn't lost his gift for music- again, just watch the clip.

I think Rory was troubled by many things- Consider this- He was a child prodigy really. He began playing guitar as a child and by the time he was a teenager he was in a working band. He was a rock star at an age when most kids are trying to decide what they're going to do after high school. He was an international star touring Europe at an age where kids here aren't even old enough to legally drink. He was barely an adult and he had the world at his feet- a talent for the guitar- for music- that no one could touch, and he was absolutely gorgeous besides. He had a stage presence that was indescribable. Anyone who ever saw him in his prime will know what I mean. If you were privileged enough to be in the presence of his screaming guitar, and feel the electricity in the air at one of his performances- it was almost like he had a psychic connection with his audience- better than any drug I ever had. He was joyful in his playing and he radiated it out to everyone around him.

People who saw him in his prime should have been able to understand and appreciate him even in his last days. He wasn't a "God like person," he was a mere mortal who was trying to carry on with the thing he loved most- his music, his art. I would much rather have seen him play on his worst day than to see a dozen or more tribute bands on their best day.

No wonder he was troubled. He had the record companies to contend with, and he was also in competition with the young man he once was- and with fair-weather fans like the ones on this thread, I can see why he was ill-at-ease. Some fans apparently came to his shows expecting him to crank it out like he did in '72, to walk on water metaphorically speaking.

I really don't mean to offend, but what the hell? Is there no sense of compassion or understanding for the man as he was? Could you really not see the younger man still within the mature one? Yeah, I saw him when he was young and hot. Where I live I didn't see him in his last years, not till the internet became so accessible. And I can certainly understand the tears for the suffering that Rory endured toward the end. But I cannot understand the cold, indifferent, condescending depiction of another human being (the man I loved ... my primary musical influence) who so obviously needed help and a little understanding, as "A sorry old man who was a shell of the great performer he had been".

Is it only me that sees the irony here? "None of these friends had ever seen Rory in his prime however - I had" Newer fans, those not "enlightened" enough to have seen Rory in his prime, were able to see the artist who was still there. Newer fans. So does that mean the older fans, the ones who saw him in his prime, were too shallow, too self-absorbed to see beyond their own memories? No one stays perpetually young, and to expect that of a loved and respected artist is a disservice and an insult to the man he was. I don't agree. And I can't understand how someone can call him their primary influence yet slam him for not living up to their preconceived expectations like some kind of wind up doll.

So if some fans were put out because his performances were not up to par, maybe they need to step back and see the bigger picture.

Without wanting to start world war three....i know the BIGGER PICTURE MY FRIEND......know one loved Rory more than me....and yeah was lucky to meet Rory lots of times...in fact i got to know him reasonably well......please dont condecend to me or Nick ,were all entitled to our opinion,as you are as well.........i just say what i see....and that night in Leeds Rory wasnt on top form at all....for obvious reasons that came to light.....a i got that from Donal in Belfast a few years back along with a few other folks.....but that remains private........i have told my Rory story's on here lots of times......fantastic memory's.......just this topic came up and i thought i would add my opinion....but as per usual.....say something that might upset a few people....and you get castigated.......but i expected it.....
photofinish

Postby Sinner Girl » 11 Jul 2012, 23:16

I never met Rory in real life or seen him perform sadly.But I watch many concert DVDs from 1970's-1994 and read a lost of story's of people who know the man quite well ( personally).But as all you know that Rory perform in my Country 01/15/1985 Zagreb( Ex -Yugoslavian tour) I heard different stories of people who were in this concert, some say that Rory was excellent, and some say that Rory has not done his best. When I watch concerts from the 1980's, Rory was in my opinion totally changed his attitude and performance on stage (a different stage perfomance) than in the 1970's the best example to show that somehow afraid of'' Rory Gallagher, Ulster Hall, Belfast 84 'crowds of fans,watching some concert I see some fear in Rory's but may be a I mistaken. . Honestly I fell hardest gig in 1994 when it sees that Rory's medical condition worsened and he was no longer so young and has no severity that was in my twenties. I love Rory is that he has 20 or 40 years, but for me it is almost hard to watch concerts from 1994, I just regret it. Honestly I do not know what I I write any more I, because the lady before me, written and I agree with them in the of most stuff.
Last edited by Sinner Girl on 11 Jul 2012, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby SUBY1974 » 11 Jul 2012, 23:49

I love Rory and his playing at any age, but I wish he was not ill. There was some great performances in the 90's but some of it I can't watch as its too painful. You can't reach him to stop his pain. I saw Brian May last year at the age of 64 and he was amazing, healthy and happy. I know Donal did his best. It tough. Donal had his own life too with a wife and four kids, running an office and looking after Rory. I did not want to reveal this here but my younger brother is going through depression and as family its tough for us at present. I don't want to pity or mourn Rory. I have wept openly as to what happened to him in the end and some people let him down. I want to celebrate his life, his music and achievement. That is what matters the most now in my opinion.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Jul 2012, 13:12

I just wanted to add as you get older in life you are enriched with knowledge and experience and if Rory was still here there is so much I would have love to learn from him as my elder. He was a very intelligent and knowledgeble man. I hope at a superconscious level me and Susie are learning from him. I remember even at 17 when I did community work at an old age home I loved talking to residents there. They knew so much and also Rory would have matured as a guitar player and as Donal said if Rory was here the best was yet to come. I believe one day it will! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Jul 2012, 13:15

SUBY1974 wrote:I have wept openly as to what happened to him in the end and some people let him down. I want to celebrate his life, his music and achievement. That is what matters the most now in my opinion.
RobertaSparrow wrote:Some of those statements make my blood boil, and maybe I shouldn't post this, but hey, I was never one to worry too much about offending someone else if I have something to say. I read the entire post earlier, and I want to amend my earlier post because I just can't let it go, and I still have more to say. " how could Rory have replaced the great Gerry McAvoy with an unknown" The "great" Gerry McAvoy, by his own admission, left Rory.

Perhaps Rory was off his game that night BECAUSE HE WAS ILL. Dying, in fact. And, as far as the quality of the backing musicians, based purely on a certain book I read, whose author purported to have intimate knowledge of Rory's health issues, and was admittedly in a position to intervene to help on several occasions but had instead turned his back on the one he called his friend. Rory could have used a little help and support. In fact, purely based on the words in the book, the author in effect tossed an anchor to a drowning man, then went on his merry way.

" The other thing with Rory I know is he probably felt let down by people and preferred to be alone a lot ".

" A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED "

If you listen to The Rory Gallagher Story last night or before. You would have heard how Gary Moore visited Rory in his lonely hotel room at The Conrad in London. In his later years. Rory I know would have really appreciated this. This would have helped with his mental pain. There was also Mark Feltham I heard that he used to go talk or play his harmonica for Rory when he was in hospital.

But where were all the other so called "band of friends" in our beloved Rory's darkest hours?

This is one of the reasons why recently I turned down an offer of two free tickets to go see Gerry McAvoy's Band of Friends at The Robin 2.

Hey Suby..
I'll admit you're gone Rory .. but I'll admit also to weeping openly this year at The Rory fest. With tears of joy running down my face. Just seeing all the Rory fans coming together from all the four corners of this planet. Ask Helen Ellis from Canada if you don't believe a word.
Fans and " Friends " putting themselves out to respect and pay tribute to their beloved Rory :)

Rock (Hospital) On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. Nick the only one mistake I can see in your post. Is that you made the classic mistake that lots of folk make nowadays..
by over-using the word "great" for someone too easily.
PPS. Also buddy you asked for a response from the Rory lady fans /members on these boards and by golly you got a good one ;)
Jay Jay

Postby maapji » 12 Jul 2012, 14:57

RobertaSparrow wrote:I've done my share of alcohol and drugs, (particularly marijuana as my drug of choice back then), and was always able to walk away when enough was enough. But not everyone can, and when a friend is in trouble and you think it is alcohol and/or pills or whatever you don't make it worse. The last thing you do is say, "forget it, let's go to the pub."

Would it really have been that difficult to refrain from drinking or whatever in front of someone who is so obviously struggling? Maybe lead by example? Maybe try to change a few patterns or routines to help someone cope with their fears and stresses?

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read *the* book. I assume that it was more convenient to play down Rory's problems, otherwise they would have had to face their own addictions.

To call Rory a "sorry old man" is a harsh thing to say. Roberta put it in a nutshell: he was dying. So what kind of performance do you expect? I for one would have jumped at the opportunity to see Rory in 1994. Too bad I didn't know him back then.
maapji

Postby nickskelson » 12 Jul 2012, 15:46

Well, well, well. Jay Jay, when you ask a lady for her opinion you get what you ask for my friend.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion - however, Miss Sparrow, a crock of horse-shit only shows your blinding loyalty to your own hero. I was there, I saw the performance - the friend who was a bouncer at the club, swore that the truth was that Rory was on his 2nd bottle spirits and refused to go on.
Roberta, the difference between the sexes, is that a male can see someone for how they really are, and not for what they were. Dont insult my integrity towards Rory Gallagher when I saw the truth = I was there, I witnessed it. What I said was I would have preferred my last memory of Rory to be anything else than what I witnessed. That was heartfelt. I didnt want to see him in that state.
Cold - yes, but only as in the cold light of day. The truth.
Dont for a moment be stupid enough to judge from afar when someone who saw the truth, merely relays that truth.
I know that Rory was obviously having good days and nights as well bad. Yes, of course he was ill, physically and mentally.
Roberta, do you think that I wanted to see my main man like this? It is not a crock of horse shit, it is the truth, the absolute truth. I was there, I saw it.
Gerry McAvoy did not kill Rory, nor did Donal. They fact that these old men cannot face each other is a disgrace.
It is a fact Roberta, that Rory Gallagher was an alcoholic, and that is what killed him. Prescription drugs brought the end much sooner, and MRSA was the final destruction. It was alcoholism that put him where he was however - you have to face the truth Roberta. It might be "cold" but alcoholics, when they are drunk, "stumble and bumble" about - where do you think the term "paraletic" comes from.
My eyes and ears were opened that night. I had absolutely no advance knowledge at all that there was anything wrong with Rory. when I last saw him in 88 he was still steaming. However - when you are confronted with the truth, you have to accept the truth. You cannot insult somebody who actually saw the truth, when you were nowhere near. Your loyalty is commendable Roberta, but you have to accept the "cold" truth.
By the way, I'm not offended at all Roberta - we are all entitled to out own opinions - I think crock of horse shit, is exceptionally funny to be honest - especially when it comes from one of the fairer sex.
I did not want to upset anybody, and my "coldness" was in fact greatly tempered down to be honest. I, just like you Miss Sparrow have very strong views on Rory's decline, I just cant view them on this forum for legal reasons. Lets just say that there were people there who didnt do what they could have done? This forum seems to be the Gerry McAvoy Killing Field and that is a totally false representation of how things were.
You do need to look at the bigger picture Roberta. Even the totally loyal Jay Jay, has started threads here about his pain at seeing rory perform in his later years. You need to open your eyes and ears and see/hear things for what they truely were. Misplaced loyalty remember is a criminal offence in certain situations (lying for someone you love). The truth is what the truth is in the "cold" light of day.
Rock on Rory lovers, lets make sure his music never dies.
nickskelson

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Jul 2012, 16:49

nickskelson wrote:Gerry McAvoy did not kill Rory, nor did Donal. They fact that these old men cannot face each other is a disgrace.

Point 1.Yes of course Nick we know that's not the case but there is no doubt IMHO that ..
Rory's decline and deterioration of health did certainly increase after Gerry left the Rory Gallagher band and went his merry way as Roberta said.

Point 2. Plus adding to my previous post " A friend in need " ... from Donal's point of view who needs friends like that. I can totally understand why he does not want to see Gerry nowadays, or have him play at the Rory fest. As I've said on here time after time " Without a sincere apology from Gerry, for all the MISTAKES & UNTRUTHS in his RS book" That is never going to happen.

This friendship is no more unfortunately because of that book ..
and my impression talking to Donal is this Gerry's Band of Friends thing is now rubbing more salt into the old wounds :(

Donal & Jay Jay.jpg

Above: Donal telling Jay Jay

Btw, this is not the Killing Fields for Gerry McAvoy. As a musician I admire him. But this is RORY GALLAGHER'S FORUM!
I'd rather pay good money to see you and Sinnerboy (RORY GALLAGHER TRIBUTE BAND) any day of the week though. Than have those free tickets to see the GM Band of friends. As your partner Barry told me the other week in Leicester. Apparently he's heard that the GM band of friends do not want to be classed as an RG tribute band. Playing all Rory Gallagher tunes at their shows is no tribute to Rory???

Did I miss something in the last 40 years as a Rory fan, that Gerry was the composer after all, for those "great" Rory Gallagher songs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Jul 2012, 18:48

Hello Nick

One last sentiment, and as I said in the PM I sent to you both, it was not my intention to anger or insult anyone, as it was not my intention to post anything additional to this particular thread. I apologized if I hurt anyone's feelings, especially you. However, it seems that the last post was floating in my direction, not off the board so please let me clarify-

Dont for a moment be stupid enough to judge from afar when someone who saw the truth, merely relays that truth.

:lol: I found that to be somewhat amusing- because judging by the tone of your response, I don't think that you think I'm stupid. That is what is so interesting about this medium as a tool for communication. I believe you can tell by my writing that I am not a stranger to the written word. I am also a writer.

"Roberta, do you think that I wanted to see my main man like this? It is not a crock of horse shit, it is the truth, the absolute truth. I was there, I saw it. Gerry McAvoy did not kill Rory, nor did Donal. They fact that these old men cannot face each other is a disgrace. It is a fact Roberta, that Rory Gallagher was an alcoholic, and that is what killed him. Prescription drugs brought the end much sooner, and MRSA was the final destruction. It was alcoholism that put him where he was however - you have to face the truth Roberta. It might be "cold" but alcoholics, when they are drunk, "stumble and bumble" about - where do you think the term "paraletic" comes from.

No, I don't think you or anyone on this board wanted to see Rory like that. The one thing that everyone on this board seems to have in common is a desire to keep Rory's music alive and to remember the good things.

And yes, I concede that perhaps "crock of horse shit" was a tad harsh and indelicate. And I won't ask you to concede the same- that some of your depictions were a little needlessly cruel, because I can see there is emotion behind them as well. But there are things said about Rory that I would not say even about someone I detested.

I don't think Gerry McAvoy killed anyone. But he put his name to the things that were written in that book, and so at least in his mind that is how it happened. He didn't kill Rory- didn't pour whiskey down his throat. But by his own admission, he knew Rory was struggling. I don't want to go through that thing line by line, especially here on this board. But it seems all too apparent to me that he knew he could help and he chose not to. Rory needed help, and having the person that he had worked with for the longest time quit him, deliver such a sucker punch, metaphorically speaking, could only have hurt him more. That Rory came back to him to ask if there was anything else, well, that was one of several missed opportunities that he wrote about. No, he didn't kill Rory. Didn't do much to help him either. That isn't speculation- that is out of his own book. He signed his name to it for all to read.

And one of the differences between men and women that I would like to point out, is that men will clam up and let their emotions churn and fester until something has to give before they will speak their minds, if they ever do, where a woman will know that something is amiss, know that there is something wrong, something that has to be said or done. But just try to drag it out of a man. It's usually easier to get blood from a rock. Men turn their pain and anger inward till it begins to cause damage that can't be repaired.

As far as whatever rift between Donal and him- that is for them to work out. But I will say- Donal and Rory were together their entire lives, and he lost his only brother in a horrible, tragic way. I don't know the order of events after Rory's death but apparently they were on good enough terms for Donal to ask Gerry to help with the commentary on the re-release of the DVD, so obviously he hadn't read the book yet. But I found some of that stuff in the book to be disturbing, and he wasn't even my brother.

I know about alcoholics. My Uncle Everett was an alcoholic. He was so blind drunk one evening he tried to hop a freight train, slipped and fell under the tracks. He had his left arm severed by the steel wheels right above the elbow. The wheels crushed the bones and flesh so he didn't bleed out though, and was able to stagger away to a passerby for help. Didn't die, though. He was so drunk he didn't remember much, except he remembered hearing the train whizzing past his ear. And he remembered the bones in his arm making a crunching sound. Lived the rest of his life with a hook, and kept on drinking. He was a mean drunk, too. And he was a lot meaner with the hook. He was a dangerous person to meet in a bar after that.

My ex is a functional alcoholic. He works every day. But he has to have at least a six pack a day or he gets to feeling sick. His best friend Brian died of alcoholism. Whenever Brian was around I would always hide the beer, whiskey, etc. I couldn't keep him from drinking, but I could keep him from drinking in my house. I know about alcoholics. And other drugs. I would include nicotine and caffeine also. Probably the most harmless of the bunch is marijuana.

And as I said in the private post, I see alcoholism as an illness. A damn hard one to beat. But it is still an illness, and I've never seen anyone get better without help.

Lastly, even toward the end of his life, Rory was still a person worthy of respect, still entitled to the kindness and compassion of the people around him. I find it particularly ironic in that you call your band Sinnerboy. Have you ever read the lyrics?
Last edited by RobertaSparrow on 15 Jul 2012, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome