Rory and Gilbert O'Sullivan

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory and Gilbert O'Sullivan

Postby Flamenca » 12 Jun 2012, 14:21

Wonder if anyone knows what Rory thought of Gilbert's (Ray's) music?
Did they ever meet? Does anyone know?
Both were Irish and of a similar age - Gilbert (Ray) was from Waterford, and both were at their most successful in the 1970s.
Although Ray was a 'Top of The Pops' man I think some of his song lyrics were thought provoking and clearly much deeper than the average pop songs. He also expressed himself in a whimsical, accessible way that ordinary people could relate to and understand. I suspect Rory would have respected him as an artist even though his music was probably not to his taste. It would be interesting to know if Rory ever expressed an opinion on this.
Ray also, was totally ripped off by his first manager and had to sue to get his rightful share of royalties.
I like Ray's music although its easy listening, and am glad that he also has a legacy re-release that is doing well for him.
Flamenca

Re: Rory and Gilbert O'Sullivan

Postby nickskelson » 13 Jun 2012, 01:47

Hey Flamenca - what in interesting topic!
I got into Rory at about 17 years old.....but a couple of years before that I have to admit it was Gilbert O'Sullivan that first got me listening to the lyrical aspect of music.
I can definitely hear Rory doing a stonking version of Get Down, and a real bluesy version of Alone Again.......they are not A Million Miles Away from each other in the actual songwriting department. Alone Again and Easy Come Easy Go are very similar feels to them for instance. Gilbert obviously went for the full blown TOTP treatment and everything that went with it, and that crucified him as a respected songwriter in the long run. It could have been so different?
I have no recollection of any connections either way at any time. Totally agree that Raymond was a great lyricist, in the same league as Rory in fact - the Irish story teller was definitely part of both their make-up.
I've always thought that Rory's biggest mistake after Gerry and Brendan left was forming another band with total unknowns. He should have collaborated with other greats in his field.
How about Rory, guitar/vocals, Jack Bruce, bass/vocals, Gilbert, piano/vocals, Ian Paice, drums, John Lord, Hammond......can you imagine that band doing a tour? He was big mates with Jack, and knew John and Ian well through touring with Purple. It wouldn't have taken much to do it in the early 90's......if only, if only?
nickskelson

Postby innuendo » 13 Jun 2012, 15:47

but paice and lord were in the deep purple then, paicey still is to this day, he's the only member that never left deep purple or should i say he was in every DP line up
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Flamenca » 05 Jul 2012, 11:50

Slightly off topic here, but great sadness at the passing of comic genius Eric Sykes yesterday.
Here's a pop tune with Gilbert and Eric having fun. Note the saw coming up through the floor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTfz8dscgA

And an abbreviated verson featuring Reg Varney of Eric's film - 'The Plank' ... ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcD85kICBmQ

I don't usually like slap stick, but these made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flamenca

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome