Rory the prophet

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory the prophet

Postby tonetanner » 24 Apr 2012, 18:45

Look, I know he wasn't a god, but many things Rory did were way ahead of his time.
The strat / the tele / the triolian: If I had to buy three guitars now, I would buy those, or real similar.
The playing: No ridiculous noodling, and no ridiculous 'zoom' effects, just a great sounds always.
The songs: Aside from his own, most of those delta etc players he covered are household names now.
Miking acoustics: Most 'experts' agree that miking acoustics / reso's (e.g. with a SM57) is the way to go - don't bother with pick-ups.
The clothes: So grunge has been and gone, but he got there first. No glitter in sight either.
The moderator: He did more than Mo Mowlam, and that's saying something!
Any more?
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Re: Rory the prophet

Postby asdesas » 24 Apr 2012, 19:22

Well, he died way, way ahead of his time :cry:

Interesting post, TT! Here's another one, and I think it's very significant: As someone who was against corporate control of his music and image, Rory was a model for today's D.I.Y. musicians and bands. He wasn't the last of the independents, he was the FIRST of the independents. Interestingly, his legacy is being spread far and wide on that most independent of media, the Net.

I keep thinking about the fashion thing. Now that Courtney Love has said that Kurt was into Rory, you have to wonder, maybe that grunge look does indeed trace its lineage back to him and his fans. I read a comment by a younger fan on one of the zillions of RG vids on Youtube to the effect of, "Look at him with that flannel shirt and beat up guitar--all these years later, it turns out he was right!"

Regards,
Richard
P.S.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby shadowplay57 » 25 Apr 2012, 00:48

I was speaking to a mate who got to see Rory a few years before i did. He was telling me when he came on stage most of the crowd where pointing and laughing saying what ya going to do with that tiny amp and beat up guitar Rory ? and of course Rory showed them. He did'nt the glitz and nonsense to blow them away just raw talent and passion for what he was doing. Thats why we travled the lenth and width of the country to see him.
shadowplay57

Postby innuendo » 25 Apr 2012, 11:22

rory wasn't into glitter and dressing up for stage and that suits his music perfectly. his music was always emotionally drenched and energy pumped roller coaster ride for everyone to enjoy. i guess grunge was also about that with its honest down to earth "let's plug our guitars and play" attitude. funny thing is i don't like grunge, i prefer those glam metal bands over grunge and i'm sure rory didn't like them.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby deuce » 25 Apr 2012, 12:31

Hm, it never occurred to me that there are similarities between Rory´s whole attitude and the grunge movement but the more I think about it...you seem to be right.

I was always a grunge kid, Zack de la Rocha and Chris Cornell were my heroes (Cornell even more when he was with Audioslave) so that might be an explanation why I love Rory´s music so much now ;)
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby Chris OK » 01 Jul 2012, 18:01

I think its cool Rush opened for Rory on their first national tour, and brought him in in 82 to open for them, would love to hear the conversations that went on between the guys, and its the 1 time I saw Rory. He sure made you work if you let him open for you.
The big opener now is Alice Cooper opening for Iron Maiden. I heard he brought the house down at Jones Beach this past week andmaiden had to live up to and over that, tho doubt they could. And there newest guitaristis a big Rory fan Janick Gers. He sure influenced a lot of metal stars like Glen Tipton, and so many others who grew up on him in Europe from Taste days on.
Chris OK

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Jul 2012, 18:28

tonetanner wrote:Look, I know he wasn't a god, but many things Rory did were way ahead of his time. . .The clothes: So grunge has been and gone, but he got there first. No glitter in sight either.
[/quote]

deuce wrote: Hm, it never occurred to me that there are similarities between Rory´s whole attitude and the grunge movement but the more I think about it...you seem to be right. . . . I was always a grunge kid, Zack de la Rocha and Chris Cornell were my heroes (Cornell even more when he was with Audioslave) so that might be an explanation why I love Rory´s music so much now

asdesas wrote: I keep thinking about the fashion thing. Now that Courtney Love has said that Kurt was into Rory, you have to wonder, maybe that grunge look does indeed trace its lineage back to him and his fans. I read a comment by a younger fan on one of the zillions of RG vids on Youtube to the effect of, "Look at him with that flannel shirt and beat up guitar--all these years later, it turns out he was right!"

Rory was way ahead of his time. Especially his style, his interpretation of the blues, his sound.

But the clothes, I believe he was emulating the manner of dress that people here on the west coast have worn ever since I can remember- probably since before the Civil War. Cotton or flannel shirts, usually plaid, checked, or striped, and blue denim were what most people wore casually. I don't know if he was just taken with the way the old cowboys and working men over here dressed in the cowboy movies, or it was because they're some of the most comfortable clothes in the world, and I guess it was unconventional for Europe, especially back then, but if you look at old photos of the way people in the western U.S. dressed, that wasn't anything new. In fact for manner of dress he stood out more to us because he wasn't dressed in the manner that the hippies did in the late 60's, early 70's. He looked kinda conservative for a rocker.

If he were to walk down most any street in the western U.S. back then, even in the most conservative towns, he would have turned heads for his long hair, but they wouldn't have thought twice about how he was dressed. Were he to have gathered his hair up under a cowboy hat or baseball cap, I bet no one would think twice about him being "not from around here," at least until he spoke. I think his accent would definitely give him away at that point. :)

Mexican kids in Southern California in the 60's and 70's for the most part didn't know who Rory was, but those shirts were hugely popular there. They used to wear those plaid flannel shirts all the time. We called them Pendletons, after the workshirts that came out of the Pendleton Woollen Mills in Oregon. Pendleton Mills has been making those shirts since the late 1800s up to the present day.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kurt Colbain was a Rory fan. He wasn't in the same league as Rory, and I could see he would admire Rory for his gifted and unique playing style. But as far as the way Nirvana dressed, that is how the people here dress, before Rory, before Nirvana, and even now.

That doesn't make him any less original. And he was WAY ahead of his time.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Strat59 » 24 Jul 2012, 09:14

Rory was a product of his upbringing and environment as we all are. Life wasn't all beer and skittles back then . Mothers and Fathers worked hard to provide food and a house for the family. You had the ongoing conflict and a British presence on the streets. You saw your Heroes on TV or in magazines and you spent Saturday at the local Music Store dreaming of being able to afford that guitar hanging in the window or wall. You worked hard and saved paying things off on Layby or HP bit by bit. When you got that guitar you treasured it like nothing else. You listened to records and learnt how to get the sounds you heard. You had hand me down clothes from your older brother/s and mum mended sox , shirts , pants so they would last. You learnt the value of what it meant having nice things and to appreciate and look after them.
You met friends at school , shared musical influences , formed bands and rehersed in back rooms till you were good enough to get a small gig anywhere usually paying for the privelege.

Those that were good enough or had a lucky break made it. Success brought fame and money , for many this brought temptations that became their eventual downfall.

Rory Gallagher not only made it with Taste but was able to handle their problems at a his young age and continue his journey alone putting together the band that supported him to Worldwide fame. Unlike many though he stayed true to his upbringing and musical roots. He never saw the need to be Glam or change styles mid stream
as some do. Donal was the best person for the job and took care of the business allowing Rory to do what he did best with a contented mind knowing his brother only had his best interests at heart.

Rory is the personification of saying....... if you believe and love what you do , and stick at it , success will come. He remained true to his music , what his family had instilled in him , his respect and mutual loyalty to his fans and his ever lasting love of Ireland. In a business where so many achieve fame and fortune through Fashion, Image , Studio Trickery today , Rory was Old School , he did it with only his trusty Strat , honing his chops in every pub , club he could play to crowds where if they didn't like you...... you soon found out ! and a ton of talent. He was the REAL DEAL.
Strat59

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome