Classic Rock Rory Feature

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby deuce » 13 Apr 2012, 14:44

yeah right Jim, if my memory serves me correctly, that Catherine was the woman in the hotel scene which Gerry McAvoy described in his book.
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby Olav » 13 Apr 2012, 17:28

And they knew each other more than 10 years before 1986, Rory rejected her all the time and all of a sudden his heart was broken when she married? Sounds like stupid "romantic" novels for women.
Olav

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Apr 2012, 22:05

Olav wrote:And they knew each other more than 10 years before 1986, Rory rejected her all the time and all of a sudden his heart was broken when she married? Sounds like stupid "romantic" novels for women.

Yes I agree. Doesn't make any sense. I have to say she is really pretty and they would have made a nice couple! I think they were very. close. Subrata.
SUBY1974

Postby Flamenca » 15 Apr 2012, 10:53

Hmm ... I see what you mean ... but ... I'd like to read the lyrics Rory wrote for the 'Torch' album that he made and scrapped in 1987 before Defender ... you know the one he gave himself 'a good ticking off' for :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wonder if it was about someone carrying a torch for him for years, and then the bitter irony of him carrying a torch for her ... I guess we'll never know until we hear it ;)
Flamenca

Postby JimLED » 15 Apr 2012, 16:54

Catherine at facebook even haven't Rory as favorite musician... doesn't strange? ;)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby deuce » 15 Apr 2012, 20:37

I´ve checked the books again for the particular quotes I´ve mentioned. In Dan Muise´s book Rory is quoted as follows:
"A certain lady, who I had a great thing for, right, went off and married this guy. Then she went off and had his child. And she introduced me to the husband who showed me pictures of the child right in front of my face. And I couldn´t take it. I really couldn´t take it. The only reason I didn´t move was she was a musician friend of mine. She must have no feelings. I mean how do you do that ? He´s a nice guy; I´m not sayin´. But I spent two years in a terrible state over that."

As I understand it , the quotes in that book are written in chronological order, so that must have been made long before, or at least it seems to refer to the period prior 1986.

In the same book Ted McKenna is quoted as follows:
"Rory had a girlfriend at some point before I was involved in the band and she broke his heart and I think that just...that was it. He just would never let it happen again. And it´s like some of the lyrics in the songs that we did. I´m sure it tends to be a reflection on that period. "

And there is a bit on that topic also in Gerry McAvoy´s book:
"There was some talk that Rory had been in love with a girl when he was a teenager, but that she had left him for another man whom she´d eventually married and left Rory heartbroken. I don´t really know what happened so I can´t comment, but if it´s true, it must have been pretty bad to have made him so wary of relationships throughout the rest of his life. But then that was fairly typical of Rory. He took the saying 'once bitten, twice shy' to its ultimate limits."

Although the statements of his bandmates seem quite vague or not from firsthand source and rather speculative, I tend to to believe their versions because to me they sound more like a Rory-kind of dealing with such issues ;)
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby maapji » 15 Apr 2012, 21:12

Thanks for posting the quotes, deuce! Quite interesting indeed. If we believe Rory's bandmates we can infer that the woman concerned was NOT Catherine.
maapji

Postby Olav » 16 Apr 2012, 09:36

As for the 'Torch" album - now it is 'Notes from San Francisco'. It was recorded in 1977 not in 1987.
Olav

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Apr 2012, 10:23

Olav wrote:As for the 'Torch" album - now it is 'Notes from San Francisco'. It was recorded in 1977 not in 1987.

No Olav, Torch was a project after NFSF and before Defender in the mid 80's. Not as such an album that Rory binned put a project..
Some of the songs written / composed by Rory on the Defender album, were from this Torch project ;)

PS. There is an interview with Rory somewhere on youtube about this in the 80's
Jay Jay

Postby Olav » 16 Apr 2012, 11:22

Thank you Jay Jay.
Olav

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome