Classic Rock Rory Feature

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby Flamenca » 12 Apr 2012, 14:22

Olav wrote:Rory was talking about female musician who broke his heart. Was Catherine a musician?


No - Johan Verminnen is a musician. I think Rory was misquoted.
I'm not convinced that Rory had his heart broken by a childhood sweetheart.
I think it was as Donal said, he focused on his career, saw too many bands fall out over women, and spent too much time touring to commit to a relationship in the 1970s and early to late 1980s.
Flamenca
 
Posts: 272
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 15:44

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby Sinner Girl » 12 Apr 2012, 14:36

Thank you Flemenca for post , very interesting to read :D
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
User avatar
Sinner Girl
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 15:24
Location: Heaven's Gate

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby Flamenca » 12 Apr 2012, 19:33

deuce wrote:nicely summed up Flamenca, thanks.

I am not convinced on point 7 though. From what I´ve read so far, Catherine Mattelaer pursued Rory for many years, even throughout her relationship with Roland van Campenhout – but without success. Both Gerry McAvoy and Dan Muise did mention or quote in their books that he rejected her. So why should she be one of the reasons why he was in a bad state ?


Hi Deuce

Thanks for that too!

To quote Joni Mitchell:
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone ... they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
Flamenca
 
Posts: 272
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 15:44

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby GRace » 12 Apr 2012, 21:51

Flamenca wrote:To quote Joni Mitchell:
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone ... they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"


Yep, "We never know the value of water till the well is dry".

But, I think not so much the fact of Catherine's marriage has influenced at Rory, but the fact that all (or almost all) around him were happy in their personal life. And so, the last hope was gone...

To Flamenca:
BTW, what about pretty lady, which put her hand in pocket of Rory's coat (and it just screams that they had a close relationship) in the end of 1984? Seems to me you wrote that she was a musician...

Interesting, where did she go?
Last edited by GRace on 13 Apr 2012, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
~Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music.
MUSIC IS THE BEST!!!~
User avatar
GRace
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 18:51
Location: A million miles away ...

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby GRace » 12 Apr 2012, 22:14

Catherine with husband Johan Verminnen in 1986.
An interesting fact is that he looks a bit like Gerry McAvoy :roll:
Image
~Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music.
MUSIC IS THE BEST!!!~
User avatar
GRace
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 18:51
Location: A million miles away ...

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby deuce » 12 Apr 2012, 22:23

Flamenca wrote:To quote Joni Mitchell:
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone ... they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

yeah, I see your point Flamenca and that crossed my mind too, but to me that particular quote read like a reproach and therefore I thought he couldn´t mean the woman he rejected for such a long time. Plus, there´s still that "musician friend" bit, hence my doubts, but anyway....

GRace wrote:An interesting fact is that he looks a bit like Gerry McAvoy :roll:

Right GRace, couldn´t agree more :D
Last edited by deuce on 13 Apr 2012, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
User avatar
deuce
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 22:04
Location: wrong side of time

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby Sinner Girl » 12 Apr 2012, 23:28

deuce wrote:yeah, I see your point Flamenca and that crossed my mind too, but to me that particular quote read like an allegation and therefore I thought he couldn´t mean the woman he rejected for such a long time. Plus, there´s still that "musician friend" bit, hence my doubts, but anyway....

GRace wrote:An interesting fact is that he looks a bit like Gerry McAvoy :roll:

Right GRace, couldn´t agree more :D

I'm you with gels,I'm agree too
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
User avatar
Sinner Girl
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 15:24
Location: Heaven's Gate

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby Olav » 13 Apr 2012, 09:11

I agree with you Flamenca exept Catherine. The reason he rejected her is that he he was already afraid of serious relationships because of that bad experience. He was in love but that girl didn't answer to his feelings. As far as we know Catherine loved him but it was him not to answer her feelings.
Olav
 
Posts: 112
Joined: 29 Mar 2012, 11:03

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby folkdeejay » 13 Apr 2012, 11:30

From answers.com :

There is not a lot of information on the Internet about Catherine Mattelaer as a model. The only type of recognition she is given on the sites where she is mentioned is as an actress in the movie Bibi, which came out in 1970.
User avatar
folkdeejay
 
Posts: 168
Joined: 19 Dec 2010, 12:32

Re: Classic Rock Rory Feature

Postby JimLED » 13 Apr 2012, 12:03

Wich one woman Gerry had mentioned in his RS book .. the moment when someone tried to knocking to Rory heart through the door at hotel and when Rory screamed loud "get out woman!" ?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
User avatar
JimLED
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 23:08
Location: UKRAINE

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron