1975 - Rolling Stones Audition.....

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

What do you think in which tracks Rory playing?

TRACK № 01
42%
TRACK № 02
No votes
TRACK № 03
25%
TRACK № 04
33%

Total votes : 12

Re: 1975 - Rolling Stones Audition.....

Postby JimLED » 13 Dec 2011, 14:40

You really think that this peak solo at 1:15 has been played by fingers?

Please, listen it carefully... the main riff from the start of the track must be played by other guitarist! Beck? And this riff still present at the solo! :)
Jammed Beck and Rory?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jinxedmoonchild » 13 Dec 2011, 21:45

That moment that you're pointing at is actually a trademark Jeff Beck phrase that squeezed out with the help of nails. You'd recognize it straight away if you listened to as much of JB as I had.
... dangerously twisted. And here I go again.
Born under the Earth Sign http://www.myspace.com/theearthsign
Jinxedmoonchild

Postby JimLED » 13 Dec 2011, 21:57

Nice to invite Keef or Jeff and ask.
- hey, Jeff, isn't you on track? :D

Maybe someone of you can run it in Jeff's FB group?
JimLED

Postby bullfrogger » 30 Dec 2011, 18:59

Still not clear with 2 votes each for tracks 1, 3 & 4, We can Rule out track 2 - no votes....
bullfrogger

Postby tonetanner » 31 Dec 2011, 12:07

If there's time, I'd like to have a go, but I can't find the links to the tracks.
Anyhow, if RG ever said he's no good at fingerpicking, thats RG being humble. He 'flatpicks' on the electric bits and pieces all the time - plenty of nails going on there, and he's real good at it too.
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby JimLED » 30 Oct 2012, 15:05

Let's hear the tracks again, folks! Wich one is Rory's one?
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Oct 2012, 19:20

Jinxedmoonchild wrote:Jeff Beck can play any_freakin'_thing, believe me.
I'm not comparing anyone to anyone. It is just clear that track 4 is played with FINGERS. Rory himself said that he is not very good with fingerpicking in IT'74.

Yes Rory did say that, because he was notoriously humble and self-effacing. But clearly he was pretty damn good at fingerpicking, as you can see as he does an impromptu demonstration while casually conversing with his interviewer. I haven't voted on which tracks may have been Rory or not, 'cause I'm going to have to listen to them a bunch of times to try to figure it out. But this man excelled at every style of playing that he put his mind to.

Edited-next day, I listened to all four, and I think #4 sounds the most like Rory, but this is all speculation since no one knows who played on which- who actually taped these? These samples sound like they were surreptitiously taped by a guest invited to listen in . . . In interviews Rory downplayed the whole thing, said he was invited to jam, wasn't really being considered at all. Donal wasn't invited to attend, so he can't really tell us. Mick also downplayed the whole thing, like it wasn't seriously an audition, they were just playing together. IMO I think it was an audition, but since Rory didn't join them everyone decided to downplay the whole thing to limit the speculation and possible hurt feelings. BTW, has anyone asked Donal or Daniel which sample they think may have Rory's playing? Especially Daniel since he has been working with a lot of Rory's material and is himself a player. Who would he vote for?

And to paraphrase Jinxedmoonchild, Rory Gallagher [could] play any freakin' thing. If he put his mind to it. And to me, track 4 sounds like Rory sounding like someone in The Stones. But I also voted for #1. He could have played on any of these, but IMHO 1&4 sound like the most likely suspects. But no one really knows except the people who were there at that moment in time.
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome