Fictional ~ Rory Gallagher Band

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Fictional ~ Rory Gallagher Band

Postby innuendo » 03 May 2010, 10:21

if Rory wasn't going solo in the 70's but forming a band who would you like to be in this band, my choice would be as follows:
paul rodgers (vocals)-he's the greatest blues rock singer ever and rory and paul combination would be fantastic!
cozy powell (drums)-imo one of the best drummers ever, very versatile, he played with jeff beck, rainbow, whitesnake, black sabbath and brian may to name a few
jack bruce (bass)-fantastic bass player (although i'm not big cream fan) who is very familiar with blues rock songs, very versatile player

what are your thoughts on ideal rory band?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: fictional Rory band

Postby Jay Jay » 03 May 2010, 11:19

Hi Innuendo,

Could not think of a much better fictional lineup than that, to compliment Rory :)
We must have the same great TASTE :D

Except maybe PHIL LYNOTT on bass and Brian Downey on drums ;)

Rockin' on for Rory
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 03 May 2010, 11:35

Jay Jay Joy wrote:Hi Innuendo,

Could not think of a much better fictional lineup than that, to compliment Rory :)
We must have the same great TASTE :D

Except maybe PHIL LYNOTT on bass and Brian Downey on drums ;)

Rockin' on for Rory

i'm glad we agree jay jay
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby JJW » 03 May 2010, 21:13

Since we're talking '70s here then Stevie Marriott would have been my choice on vocals (and feasible as he was still alive then) - although he's my 2nd favourite male vocalist of all time (Robert Plant being no 1, Paul Rogers no. 3), I think his voice would have been perfect with Rory's playing. On drums I'd choose Bonzo, still with Lou Martin on keyboards. And, yes, Jack Bruce on bass.
This is fun! :D

Jacqui
JJW

Postby roryfan » 04 May 2010, 02:17

Not a bad choice in the batch! Marriot and Rodgers would have been great and I LOVED Rory's work with Frankie Miller...that would have been something to see as well.

John Bonham...now that's a drummer that Rory would have loved. Gerry's book went to some length about how hard Rory pushed the drummers to play. That's one guy who wouldn't have needed to be pushed in that respect
john g
roryfan

Postby asdesas » 04 May 2010, 05:26

What a fun idea!

I'm thinkin' Cozy Powell on drums. But then it gets complicated...

I simply can't imagine a band where Rory isn't the front man, though Paul Rodgers as the singer is pretty tantalizing! Hmm...

I'm afraid that if Phil Lynott were in the band, between him and Rory there'd be so much onstage charisma that the audience might have a collective heart attack. Hmm...

Would love to see him with Jack Bruce on bass--that Politician clip on Youtube gives a great hint of how Jack and Rory could communicate as musicians. But would the Cream thing slant the perception of Rory? Hmm...

For bass I'm leaning towards Greg T. Walker of Blackfoot. I saw them a few times in the mid 70's before they were famous and he can hold it down like Gerry, jazz it up like Jack, and allow the front person to be the front person. Excellent musician.

And since Rory himself provides enough testosterone to last a lifetime, I'm gonna offer two awesome front "men" whose blues singing would really compliment Rory's passionate guitar: Maggie Bell and Janis Joplin.

You could imagine a million lineups.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby JJW » 04 May 2010, 12:03

[quote="asdesas"]

....... I'm gonna offer two awesome front "men" whose blues singing would really compliment Rory's passionate guitar: Maggie Bell and Janis Joplin.
quote]

Janis or Maggie, yes what an inspired idea. 2 of my 3 all-time favourite female vocalists (Maggie unfortunately being the only 1 of the 3 whom I managed to hear perform).
Nice one!
Jacqui
JJW

Postby TIM » 04 May 2010, 17:32

Hi,
I think Rory would soon have tired of Stevie Marriott and Phil lynott's egos, but on drums, I've always admired Simon Kirke, bass would be Jack Bruce, or Jim Dewar, who could fill in on vocals, or maybe Greg Ridley, very strong and precise.
HANG ON ! what about Gerry McAvoy and the brilliant Rod De'ath? That sounds good!
I know it's nice to speculate, but whats good enough for Rory, is O.K by me.
cheers
TIM
TIM

Postby asdesas » 05 May 2010, 01:19

Hahah I hear you Tim--Rory did know how to put together a band, didn't he? I love Rod's drumming--he was the master of rolls and fills.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Bearded Baby » 05 May 2010, 20:22

Rory,
Andy Fraser, bass
Paul Thompson, drums

Asle
Bearded Baby

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome