Rory Gallagher : New DVD's?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Rory Gallagher : New DVD's?

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Mar 2010, 22:09

With all these tablature books to try and play Rory Gallagher & Taste songs...

Why isn't there a new DVD to go along with them. With a guitar player showing how Rory would play certain section of songs?

ANSWER : THEY CAN'T FIND ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO TRY AND EMULATE THE GREAT MAN :mrgreen:

I've just watched Rory Gallagher Live "Rock Goes to College" Rory opens with a storming Shinkicker. Then a guy from the BBC comes on stage to introduce Rory ...

" NO ONE CAN QUITE PLAY GUITAR LIKE THIS MAN, Ladies and Gentleman " THE LEGENDARY RORY GALLAGHER" :)

They thought he was a legend back in 1979, so what status now then?

Rock on for Rory
Jay Jay

Postby mac » 19 Mar 2010, 01:06

Your right JJ no one can play like Rory,but go to http://www.licklibrary.comand in the lessons section put in Rorys name,you'll get to see the free samples of lessons on moochild and do you read me.this guy gets the sound(even though he starts do you read me in a different position)
When Im learning a Rory tune I do it in three steps;
1....get all the notes in my head from the tab books, or figure them out

2...get the phrasing right ........which can take...days...weeks.....months!

3...feel like giving up, when I watch Rory ad lib an even better version of the song Im learning :lol:
mac

Postby JimLED » 19 Mar 2010, 02:12

That's cool to download online lessons with Do you read me and other Rory songs, but to hold the book in your hands, to feel (taste) smell of ink of new book is not the same! :)

I'm already have many of Rory tabs in any formats, for example for Guitar Pro, but...the book is much better :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Mar 2010, 12:13

Thanks for those comments Mac & Jim ...

I know a lot of guitar players learn to play by ear not at all reading music or tabs included in that our hero Rory :)

CAN I ASK ALL YOU LEAD GUITARISTS, Especially those in or have been in a Rory Gallagher Tribute band ...

Do you watch or did you watch video's or DVD's of Rory, especially these days with the very good slow mo facilities?

Barry (Sinnerboy), Dave (Aftertaste), Phil, (Defender), Peter (Remember Rory) , Chris (Shinkicker), Mark (Moonchild), Barry (Double Vision),
Steve (Raw Gallagher), Volkhard (The Loop), Robert (Slumming Angels), Danny (Laundromat), Brian (Stagestruck), Liam (JackKnife Beat),
Joe (Calling Card), Tony (Secret Agent), Markus (Brute Force & Ignorance), Declan (Taste Of Rory) and more ...

We would appreciate a comment from one or two of you guys or any others in a Rory tribute band that play Rory songs :)
Jay Jay

Postby battered_strat » 19 Mar 2010, 12:51

Hi Jay Jay,

When i was learning Rory songs for Jack-Knife Beat, i used to learn them all by ear, id be totally lost if someone through the music notes in front of me! :?: Watching Irish Tour '74 & Rockpalast dvds helped me alot as well. The new Rory Hawk Treble Booster really helps me feel the vibe too! love that pedal!
battered_strat

Postby JimLED » 19 Mar 2010, 13:15

I can't read notes. All I've got was by ear. Rory music I prefer to in into myself then I wish to out it thru myself with addition of my own style and fellings.
I have a lot of friend they'd screamin on me ' Hey Jim you should watch and 'copy' many of guitar video schools..' I think they're all wrong.
Bluesman have to feel the blues, to mix his own influences with his mood and fellings. I'm not sure Rory or other great bluesmans sat at home and copied blues material by notes.

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Mar 2010, 15:19

Hi Jim, that's what most musicians do and always did including Rory I guess ...

Hi Liam, Like myself surely, watching Irish Tour for the first time DVD or VHS. You must have got frustrated as a guitarist. Tony Palmers filming / direction in this is great in parts, but....
Unlike the Rockpalast and Montreux DVD's later releases...
There is not enough close ups of Rory's fingers especially on the fret board in Irish Tour '74 :(

Interesting comments though, keep em comin'

Cheers, Jay Jay.
Jay Jay

Postby battered_strat » 19 Mar 2010, 15:54

true, the filming is all over the place, but once i find the key of one his songs, i can usually work out all the guitar solos by ear, one thing i did learn from the Irish Tour DVD back in the day was the little harmonic bend he does on a million miles away, that made my day when i first learnt that trick!
battered_strat

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Mar 2010, 12:08

Hi Liam, did you ever ...
Ask Barry O'Neill if your band Jack-Knife Beat could play at the Rory fest?

Hi Taste,
I bet you wished Donal would hurry up and put out the full length DVD "Taste Live at The Isle of Wight "

Dont'cha :)

Rock on for Rory
Jay Jay

Postby RoryButler » 20 Mar 2010, 12:15

Jay Jay Joy wrote:CAN I ASK ALL YOU LEAD GUITARISTS, Especially those in or have been in a Rory Gallagher Tribute band ...

Do you watch or did you watch video's or DVD's of Rory, especially these days with the very good slow mo facilities?

I'm not in a Rory tribute band (well, not yet, I'm still searching for musicians!).
But for a lot of the stuff of Rory's I've learnt has been from watching the videos, never used a slow mo feature, just made sure to watch carefully and keep focusing on a part I can't quite get til I can tell where he's at on the fretboard! Youtube is a godsend for this stuff!

But otherwise I try to figure stuff out by ear (Learnt Signals and Easy Come, Easy Go, Taste's "Leavin' Blues" and a couple of other songs by ear but I'm not great at going just by ear).
I have been known to use tab, but I feel that's the easy way out. :D
RoryButler

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome