Rory and Paul Rodgers collaboration-why it never happened?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory and Paul Rodgers collaboration-why it never happened?

Postby innuendo » 21 Sep 2011, 11:45

this topic is on my mind for some time now but i never had a time or remembered it to open it before. in 1993 paul released Muddy Water Blues: A Tribute to Muddy Waters album which featured some great guitar players, tracklist as follows

"Muddy Water Blues" (Acoustic Version) (w/ Buddy Guy)
"Louisiana Blues" (w/ Trevor Rabin)
"I Can't Be Satisfied" (w/ Brian Setzer)
"Rollin' Stone" (w/ Jeff Beck)
"Good Morning Little School Girl (Part 1)" (w/ Jeff Beck)
"(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" (w/ Steve Miller)
"She's Alright" (w/ Trevor Rabin)
"Standing Around Crying" (w/ David Gilmour)
"The Hunter" (w/ Slash)
"She Moves Me" (w/ Gary Moore)
"I'm Ready" (w/ Brian May)
"I Just Want To Make Love To You" (w/ Jeff Beck)
"Born Under a Bad Sign" (w/ Neal Schon)
"Good Morning Little School Girl (Part 2)" (w/ Richie Sambora)
"Muddy Water Blues" (Electric Version) (w/ Neal Schon)

i don't know why he didn't ask rory to work with him, that project really was rory's cup of tea. he was more famous for blues songs than slash, brian may, neal schon... they are not blues players at all although i think they did a good job on the album. but rory would be perfect for that album, for all tracks actually. does anybody know did rory and paul meet each other? and how cool would it be to have rory as a guest on new paul's dvd and cd live at montreux '94

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Montreux-199 ... 885&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Montreux-199 ... 885&sr=1-2
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: Rory and Paul Rodgers collaboration-why it never happene

Postby Rick K » 21 Sep 2011, 12:25

I don`t think I`ve ever seen Rory comment on Paul............
Or Paul comment on Rory..............
Would have made a strong pairing though !

I got to see Paul play that music live in Johnstown Pa. I didn`t know who any of his band was. We stood right in front of Paul for most of his set. It was 1 of only 2 U.S. shows that he played in support of said album. He opened up for Blue Oyster Cult. It was a biker rally they played at. The arena was full of bikers for Blue Oyster Cult, but only about 300 to 400 came in to hear Paul. He was none to happy about that either. As much as I like Paul........I`ve still never heard that entire album.

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rosemarie » 21 Sep 2011, 12:32

Paul Rodgers was considered, during the 70's, to have the best voice in rock. He does indeed have a very good voice and was one of my favourites from that era. I believe Paul made the comment he would like to have had Rory in his band. It would have been a good collaboration if they had done a few tracks together.
Last edited by Rosemarie on 21 Sep 2011, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.
Rosemarie

Postby Rosemarie » 21 Sep 2011, 12:39

Yes, just found the quotes from Paul Rodgers

"I heard the news last night sitting in a bar in Edmonton and I have to say it completely took the wind out of my sails. We played together, what, six months ago in a place called Vistolia in Italy.

"There's a 16th century square there where they have gigs and he was terrific. The sound he got out of his guitar was totally unique.

"The first time we'd have been on the same bill would have been in the early '70's at the Marquee. I was with Free and I remember thinking to myself, "God, what I wouldn't do to have that guy in this band!"
Rosemarie

Postby Sinner Girl » 21 Sep 2011, 14:29

Great topic innuendo, great collaboration Muddy Waters and Rory, but Paul Rogers is great blues rock vocalist . For me it would be very interesting collaboration that occurred, but
unfortunately never happened.
Last edited by Sinner Girl on 21 Sep 2011, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Sep 2011, 15:24

Rick K wrote:I don`t think I`ve ever seen Rory comment on Paul............
Or Paul comment on Rory..............
Would have made a strong pairing though !

Rosemarie wrote: PAUL RODGERS "I heard the news last night sitting in a bar in Edmonton and I have to say it completely took the wind out of my sails. We played together, what, six months ago in a place called Vistolia in Italy.
"There's a 16th century square there where they have gigs and he was terrific. The sound Rory got out of his guitar was totally unique.
"The first time we'd have been on the same bill would have been in the early '70's at the Marquee.
I was with FREE and I remember thinking to myself, "GOD, WHAT I WOULD'NT DO TO HAVE THAT GUY IN THIS BAND!"

Rosemarie you stole my thunder :) I heard this Paul Rodgers quote not long after Rory's passing.
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 21 Sep 2011, 16:09

i read that quote too somewhere. rory's guitar + paul voice equals perfect blues rock combination although i prefer rory's voice over paul's but that's cos i'm such a huge rory fan as we all are. but paul has great voice (he had it back in the 70's and he still has it, i saw him 3 times with queen) that aged very well. just compare him to gillan or plant (or any other hero from that era) and you'll see he has much better voice now then them
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby asdesas » 22 Sep 2011, 14:00

Rory and Paul could have been a magic combination. But since Rory was the ultimate frontman IMO (I should say, ultimate singer/guitarist-style frontman) --plus, his voice and his guitar seem to be so mated to each other--in general I have a hard time imagining him with another singer.

For sure Paul's voice has held up well; I think he has one of those "blues" voices that has gotten better with age.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby mike6262 » 28 Sep 2011, 16:20

Obviously Paul has a tremendous voice, but I don't think he and Rory's guitar tone would work. Paul has has mostly worked with Les Paul players, Kossoff, Ralphs, Jimmy Page. Ralphs used the Telecaster quite a bit as well but was getting the humbucker tone just the same. I don't think Pauls voice would work well with Rory's abrasive single coil tone. Just my opinion. I actually prefer Rory's voice over Paul's. Paul's fantastic though!
But I certainly would be the first in line to listen and buy such a collabaration!
mike6262

Postby asdesas » 28 Sep 2011, 21:51

mike6262 wrote:Obviously Paul has a tremendous voice, but I don't think he and Rory's guitar tone would work.

Interesting point, mike! Maybe Rory had single coil vocal chords! I was just talking with a friend about how some musicians' guitar tones don't mate well with their voices; Eric Johnson comes to mind, IMO his voice is so much thinner than his guitar tones that it waters down the goods.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome