Hiya! from R. Mullen

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Hiya! from R. Mullen

Postby MullenR » 18 Sep 2011, 01:11

Hi folks!

Thank you for posting so much awesome stuff! I'm very happy that this group is here and will contribute to the fun as often as I can!

All through my teens, I was intimidated by Rory. He played near my hometown a LOT, so to me he was a guitar god...But, I was a black girl playing electric guitar at a time when it just. wasnt. done. Plus, I was a bit too goody-goody...err...young to sneak out to see him play the Agora in Cleveland. Thin Lizzy and AC/DC were then "the business," so when my guitar teacher kept telling me about Rory, I kept ignoring him. He was over 30 after all...and worse, played a massive Gretsch! Soooo, many chances missed to see Rory play in the perfect small club setting! Probably still have a clipping from when he played on a bill with Kiss though, must have a look!

Anyway, my Ex who was also exBelfast, grew up with them in his ear and so over our time together, I was on a steady diet of Rory, Thin Lizzy and Gary Moore. They were all on my mind as I spent 2 months in Ireland this past spring. I always loved visiting Ireland, but wanted to see if I could live there now on my own (or, rather for how much of the year I could do it), since it had changed a great deal since my last visit.

Diversity is a huge challenge for Ireland and it's a very exciting time to be there. Many black folks in the US have distant relatives in Ireland, but I'm not the least bit interested to look up every Kelly for glimpses of an "uncanny resemblance," sorry! The other family links are well-known, so nothing to do there! This is part of what fascinates me with Phil Lynott, who spent the last few years of his life trying to come to grips with his mixed heritage. Today, he wouldn't need to have gone through so much pain. But, Rory was a different story. He was an ambassador for roots (aka "black") blues music in Ireland, just by being himself. He wasn't carrying a banner, just playing from the heart, so to me, he's even more special. His brilliance came from his soul, an Irish soul, one that connected with black music organically and honestly.

So, in 2 mos I not only fell back in love with the place ("local welcomes" aside), but discovered a deep, deep love for Rory and Phil's music, and gratitude for the passion that people in Ireland celebrate every year that keeps their music and memories alive. Not quite sure how punk mellows into the blues, but in my case, the transition seems to be moving smoothly. No middle-age crisis,--just a life-long romance with the guitar and with music.

Long story short, got back to New York with Phil and Rory on the brain. What to do, what to do about it? Can't just leave it go, so, here's my idea:

I'm now fleshing out what will be called the "Prime Mover Project." First, it's an award program in Rory's honor for blues guitar purists out of Ireland. We'll grow the program and expand to other countries later. The prizes will start small and growth will be crowd-sourced. The goal is to support the current Rorys who play blues from the heart, firmly rooted in tradition and who aren't so concerned with fame or fortune.

Second, its a historical project, which traces what someone suggested be called the "blues diaspora" from the US to the rest of the world. Rory and Gary Moore actually were my backdoor to the Blues, so I'm grateful to them for introducing me to my own culture! Van Morrison is fine as a soul singer, but Rory is really my muse because he's so brilliant on the guitar.

This is a labor of love, so please be kind, but criticize away, because we're all family and the project needs to be Rory-worthy! I'm on the Facebook Rory groups and saving up for the party in London, so if you see me, please say hello!
MullenR

Re: Hiya! from R. Mullen

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Sep 2011, 11:28

MullenR wrote:His brilliance came from his soul, an Irish soul, one that connected with black music organically and honestly.

Hi Regina, a very warm welcome to Rory's forum.

That has got to be one of the best introductions I've known to this forum :)
Although we have exchanged a few facebook message previously, I feel I know you much better now after your introduction here.

May I wish you all the best with this Prime Mover Project. If you look back on the main homepage News & Events Q&A to Donal and Daniel.
I myself did pose a question to them about a "Rory Gallagher School of Music" and if they were willing to back one. Check it out.
Scoll down on this link a little Q19 http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/201 ... _gallagher .

Best of luck with this project.
Keep posting on "Loose Talk" to let us know just how you're getting on ;)

Phil & Rory 4.jpg
Philo & Rory 2.jpg
Philo & Rory = Irelands Finest.jpg

Regards Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby asdesas » 18 Sep 2011, 18:08

As Rory would say, "A very warm welcome!"

Glad to meet you here, what a thoughtful and thought provoking introduction. Looking forward to journeying through Roryland with you.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby jenniferj » 19 Sep 2011, 03:31

Wow, what an introduction, and a seriously thought-out plan in the Prime Mover Project. I too will be interested in your progress with this, keep us posted, and good luck.
Rory would be very supportive of such an idea I think.
Jennifer.
jenniferj

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 19 Sep 2011, 04:51

Nice to meet you! I like the Prime Mover Project idea and capitalizing on the burgeoning crowdsourcing (for both funding and ideas) movements taking place across the 'net currently. I'll definitely follow progress and contribute where/when I can.

-ian
bottleneckblues77

Postby Sinner Girl » 19 Sep 2011, 09:45

welcome on forum MullenR , and lovely introduction
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby innuendo » 19 Sep 2011, 14:30

welcome ON THE BOARDS, great introduction
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby roryfan » 20 Sep 2011, 02:01