Any "Rory Fan" Guitar Players Out There?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Any "Rory Fan" Guitar Players Out There?

Postby lonesome » 31 Aug 2011, 20:48

Hi, fans and players!
I wrote in here, about a year ago, and asked the same question I'm asking today, hoping there are some new viewers, or ones that would be willing to help.
I'm a guy who's been [playing quite a few years, and Rory was a unique master at what he did. As much as I liked his elecrtic playing, it's his acoustic struff that really drives me wild- I recently found some downloads of some acoustic stuff, along with some TABS, I'd be willing to give to anyone who'd ask.
But my PROBLEM IS, I can't find the ONE SONG I LOVE THE MOST, THAT I REAALY WANT TO LEARN...Yes, I could butcher it, learn it half-baked, but I don't even know what TUNING, for sure, it was in...So, I will ask again, with respect to you all....PLEASE, if ANYONE CAN HELP?

The question Im asking you all is "Can anyone show me the tab, to "LONESOME HIGHWAY", even if it's not the whole thing, just the intro harmonics, and FIRST VERSE RIFF RIFF"?? ..It SOUNDS like a fingerpicked-with some open string riff, it repeats over and over, I don't even know what TUNING, so it's hard to figure out(for ME, anyway)

Again, I don't expect anyone would have the whole thing...I would be overjoyed, if anyone even knew the Intro harmonic stuff, but ESPECIALLY AFTER THE HARMONICS, the "FINGERPICKED INTRO AND FIRST VERSE RIFF", THAT REPEATS OVER AND OVER...

AS I said, i have some Rory slide tabs, and MANY, MANY OTHER TABS, of some great Classic rock, Blues, jazz, etc.

Please let me know!

Lonesome (luapsel58@yahoo.com)
lonesome

Re: Any "Rory Fan" Guitar Players Out There?

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 08 Sep 2011, 22:46

Hey there - I've got Lonesome Highway tabs from "The Essential Rory Gallagher Vol. 2" tab book by Wise. Lonesome Highway is in this book despite not being listed on the back cover (it's page 68). The tuning is listed as DADGAD rather than any regular open tuning (like Open G or E as is used in other Rory songs) so that may explain the difficulty you've been having. Using that tuning, the opening harmonics are from the fifth fret on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th string bending the whole thing one tone (or a full step) behind the nut. PM me for any other details.
bottleneckblues77

Postby onthetiles » 09 Sep 2011, 19:33

I'm sure it's in DADGAD. I'll have a look for you, I once worked out every one of Rorys acoustic songs, I love 'em.
onthetiles

Postby JimLED » 09 Sep 2011, 20:51

Folks, there's EBGDAE. I'll try to made a short video with explonation at weekend.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby onthetiles » 10 Sep 2011, 00:17

JimLED wrote:Folks, there's EBGDAE. I'll try to made a short video with explonation at weekend.

Hmmm... ain't that standard tuning backwards? :)
onthetiles

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome