Was Rory Right with San Fran Recordings?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Was Rory Right with San Fran Recordings?

Postby Jay Jay » 25 Aug 2011, 13:36

Me thinks if NFSF had been included in this "3 Best Rory Studio Albums" in other section topic..
It would have probably been lowest % ?

RORY GALLAGHER ~ Vote for His 3 Best "Studio" Album

43 posts • Page 1 of 5 • 12345
Votes for Top 3 Rory Gallagher Best Studio Albums

1. Rory Gallagher ~ Rory Gallagher ------- 8 votes 11%
2. Rory Gallagher ~ Deuce ----------------- 8 votes 11%
3. Rory Gallagher ~ Tattoo ----------------- 9 votes 12%
4. Rory Gallagher ~ Blueprint - 1 vote 1%
5. Rory Gallagher ~ Against The Grain - 5 votes 7%
6. Rory Gallagher ~ Calling Card ----------- 11 votes 15%
7. Rory Gallagher ~ Photo Finish -------------13 votes 17%
8. Rory Gallagher ~ Top Priority ---------- 10 votes 13%
9. Rory Gallagher ~ Jinx ------- 3 votes 4%
10.Rory Gallagher ~ Defender ------------ 7 votes 9%

Total votes : 75

PS. Ask yourself the question guys & girls .. Is NFSF better than the Blueprint album?
PPS. Or compare NFSF with Photo Finish .. which one of these albums if you eliminated would you miss most?
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 25 Aug 2011, 21:56

i like nfsf more than fresh evidence but that's just me
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby lonelymile » 26 Aug 2011, 22:03

Bit late to the discussion, but these are my impressions...I think he was probably right to bin it. I feel that NFSF has a lot of energy but it also has a sort of aggressive heaviness to it, it doesn't have the subtlety of Rory's other records. It's just very surprising to realize this is the recording that followed Calling Card. Everything Rory did seemed to have a certain progession to it, his recordings all had different qualities but were representative of him and his musical identity. NFSF just doesn't sound somehow like it was representative of who Rory was as a performer, a musician who just about lived to hit the stage and didn't really like all that many special effects.

Looks like all of the better songs were re-recorded except for the heartbreaking Wheels within Wheels which Donal later released after Rory's passing. (I like "Persuasion" too but it wasn't re-recorded?). So far I haven't really taken to "Cut a Dash" very much, although I absolutely love Rory's playing on Out on the Tiles. Overnight Bag sounds pretty much identical to the one on the Crest of a Wave compilation, which was actually the first time I ever heard the song. I remember my reaction to it was that I loved the song but found something about its arrangement (I know this will sound weird) kind of Springsteen-like. I much prefer the version of Fuel to the Fire on Photo Finish.

It's often been mentioned that that Rory saw a Sex Pistols show while making this album and was struck by their raw energy, and this is why he decided to go back to the power trio format, but I wonder whether when he saw their reputedly shambolic show it also awakened a desire to return to his early happy days with Taste, a brilliantly talented power trio with an all too short lifespan. To my ears anyway, every time I hear a Taste song I'm struck by how fresh it sounds, even though it was probably pretty intense and heavy sounding blues rock back in the day. NFSF doesn't sound fresh to me...but I'm still glad I got to hear it.
lonelymile

Postby asdesas » 27 Aug 2011, 17:16

lonelymile wrote:every time I hear a Taste song I'm struck by how fresh it sounds, even though it was probably pretty intense and heavy sounding blues rock back in the day. NFSF doesn't sound fresh to me...but I'm still glad I got to hear it.

Agreed on all points. Rory liked it basic. On NFSF you have to work to hear some of the nuance that on his other records would be just dripping from the speakers.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome