Start Me Up.. Again. (Rory's Riff?)

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Start Me Up.. Again. (Rory's Riff?)

Postby innuendo » 15 Aug 2011, 20:35

bullfrogger wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:
onthetiles wrote:Now who do we know that could have, possibly, showed them that riff.. roughly (we're talking Keef here) 5 years before it was recorded. Could it have been in Holland?

No doubt it was conceived in Holland possibly while Keef was comatose'd in bed. That's why he came a cross it on tapes years later ..
I've said this before.. does'nt anyone else think the riff to Road to Hell or Failsafe Day on Defender sound a little like Start Me Up??

Skip to 3:00mins and listen as Rory play's HIS Riff - Start Me Up! :)

it sure sounds similar to start me up. do you maybe have that concert on dvd?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby onthetiles » 16 Aug 2011, 00:19

that is from the same era aswell (hot stuff) that uptempo live version.. I'm thinkling that the Rory jam was taped and Keef listened to it when he sobered up/ drugs wore off. Typical of them they decided to rip the licks off the tape. I say typical because Ry Cooder reckons he was asked to play on Honky tonk women, he did so, and Keef played over his licks with his own guitar and claimed it for his own. Wyman and Taylor left because their riffs kept getting used and not credited. Bobby womack was asked to sing vocals only for Jagger to imitate over the top. Alls fair in love etc... but I reckon RG was wise to stay away from that lot.
onthetiles

Postby Tokeiihto » 16 Aug 2011, 01:13

onthetiles wrote:that is from the same era aswell (hot stuff) that uptempo live version.. I'm thinkling that the Rory jam was taped and Keef listened to it when he sobered up/ drugs wore off. Typical of them they decided to rip the licks off the tape. I say typical because Ry Cooder reckons he was asked to play on Honky tonk women, he did so, and Keef played over his licks with his own guitar and claimed it for his own. Wyman and Taylor left because their riffs kept getting used and not credited. Bobby womack was asked to sing vocals only for Jagger to imitate over the top. Alls fair in love etc... but I reckon RG was wise to stay away from that lot.

In the early seventies the Stones probably were running out of old blues artists they could shamelessly rip off, so they changed over to contemporary musicians. :roll:
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby onthetiles » 16 Aug 2011, 22:25

ha ha yes very true. A Mr. J Page also comes to mind.
onthetiles

Postby bullfrogger » 30 Sep 2011, 20:02

Rory Play's HIS "Start Me Up" Riff again on this one, right at the beginning!

bullfrogger

Postby blues blooded » 14 Oct 2011, 12:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4DPIBO5OU Start Me Uo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMb6_cC4 ... re=related Fallsafe Day

A really interesting point. Tattoo You is essentially an album of outakes as Mick and Keef had one of their falling outs. It's a cracking album as well. I don't know whether Keith was influenced , but there are strong similarities

The intro in the Stones Angie and Eagles Hotel California are very similar too
blues blooded

Postby Tokeiihto » 15 Oct 2011, 13:51

And the chord progression of "Hotel California" bears strong resemblance to Jethro Tull's "We Used to Know" although the Eagles deny to this day any deliberate borrowing. This claim is not helped by the fact that both bands used to tour together though. :roll:
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome