Start Me Up.. Again. (Rory's Riff?)

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Start Me Up.. Again. (Rory's Riff?)

Postby onthetiles » 14 Aug 2011, 20:11

Hi Rory brothers and sisters. I was just reading an item on Keef Richards and spotted this quote...

'' (Start Me Up) I was convinced that was a reggae song. We did 45 takes like that. But then on a break I just played that guitar riff, not even really thinking much about it; we did a take rocking away and then went back to work and did another 15 reggae takes. Five years later, Mick discovered that one rock take in the middle of the tape and realized how good it was. The fact that I missed “Start Me Up” for five years is one of my disappointments. It just went straight over my head. But you can’t catch everything. ''

Now who do we know that could have, possibly, showed them that riff.. roughly (we're talking Keef here) 5 years before it was recorded. Could it have been in Holland?
onthetiles

Re: Start Me Up.. Again. (Rory's Riff?)

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Aug 2011, 09:16

onthetiles wrote:Now who do we know that could have, possibly, showed them that riff.. roughly (we're talking Keef here) 5 years before it was recorded. Could it have been in Holland?

No doubt it was conceived in Holland possibly while Keef was comatose'd in bed. That's why he came a cross it on tapes years later ..
I've said this before.. does'nt anyone else think the riff to Road to Hell or Failsafe Day on Defender sound a little like Start Me Up??
Jay Jay

Postby bullfrogger » 15 Aug 2011, 09:50

Jay Jay wrote:
onthetiles wrote:Now who do we know that could have, possibly, showed them that riff.. roughly (we're talking Keef here) 5 years before it was recorded. Could it have been in Holland?

No doubt it was conceived in Holland possibly while Keef was comatose'd in bed. That's why he came a cross it on tapes years later ..
I've said this before.. does'nt anyone else think the riff to Road to Hell or Failsafe Day on Defender sound a little like Start Me Up??

Skip to 3:00mins and listen as Rory play's HIS Riff - Start Me Up! :)

bullfrogger

Postby JimLED » 15 Aug 2011, 10:25

Right, Steve!
He tried it twice. At 2.55 first take :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby onthetiles » 15 Aug 2011, 10:43

I always thought Keef had come up with the riff in the early 80's. To find out the tapes were from the mid 70's just convinces me more.
onthetiles

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Aug 2011, 11:28

I've just played Failsafe Day (Defender) and Start Me Up (Stones) simultaneously ..

As I thought they are so alike and it's uncanny the resemblance ;)

PS. Hey Jim, with your tech ability could you not do a mix of these two songs?
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 15 Aug 2011, 14:51

Jay Jay wrote:I've just played Failsafe Day (Defender) and Start Me Up (Stones) simultaneously ..

As I thought they are so alike and it's uncanny the resemblance ;)

PS. Hey Jim, with your tech ability could you not do a mix of these two songs?

I played them today too. I didn't find any similar tunes.
I'll do a mix, but later, Jay Jay. Have to finish and start a work day.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Aug 2011, 15:18

Are you tone deaf Jim :lol:
Start them up both simultaneously, listen to opening riff is almost the same.. slightly different tempo.. Start Me Up is just quicker ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZzlgJ-SfKYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DKTIhk0IYfrk
Jay Jay

Postby asdesas » 15 Aug 2011, 16:32

Who knows what spun out of Rory's fingers and lodged in the ears of his famous jam-mates, to be used later. I always thought the intro and verse to "Waiting on a Friend" was pure Rory, reminiscent of things like Overnight Bag.

Rolling regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Aug 2011, 16:44

onthetiles wrote:'' (Start Me Up) I was convinced that was a reggae song. We did 45 takes like that. But then on a break I just played that guitar riff, not even really thinking much about it; we did a take rocking away and then went back to work and did another 15 reggae takes. Five years later, Mick discovered that one rock take in the middle of the tape and realized how good it was. The fact that I missed “Start Me Up” for five years is one of my disappointments. It just went straight over my head. But you can’t catch everything. ''

This is another song Gerry McAvoy said that Rory told him he gave The Stones the riff..
You can hear the similar reggae style again in Hot Stuff ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnwhi381hnA
Jay Jay

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome