"Famous Names" ~ That have spoken highly of RORY

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: "Famous Names" ~ That have spoken highly of RORY

Postby Simone67 » 08 Aug 2011, 19:50

Hey Richard ! You have new pm !! :)
Simone67

Postby Highway61 » 12 Aug 2011, 12:25

Hello Rory disciples,
is there a page where I can read all the quotes by them above mentioned. I haven't found, and I would like to add some words from Jimi Hendrix and Richie Blackmore, who seem to be not listed.
keep rockin'
Highway61

Postby chrissy d » 12 Aug 2011, 20:38

YIP some great names on that list!I have one from the world of sport for you!I have seen the former tennis player PAT CASH wearing RORY tshirts!He has been knowin to play in a rock band maybe still does!
STILL GOT THE BLUES !
chrissy d

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Aug 2011, 21:10

chrissy d wrote:YIP some great names on that list!I have one from the world of sport for you!I have seen the former tennis player PAT CASH wearing RORY tshirts!He has been knowin to play in a rock band maybe still does!
Highway61 wrote:Hello Rory disciples,
is there a page where I can read all the quotes by them above mentioned. I haven't found, and I would like to add some words from Jimi Hendrix and Richie Blackmore, who seem to be not listed.
keep rockin'

Chrissy d and Highway61..

That's what this topic is for.. To let us know exactly "what you know and what they say" these famous people about Rory ..
Go ahead please and tell the Rory fans what they said?

I'll add them to the list
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Tokeiihto » 13 Aug 2011, 14:35

Taken from a German blues tribute site, Ritchie Blackmore, virtuoso guitarist of Deep Purple and Rainbow - and for some time now professional minstrel of pseudo renaissance band Blackmore's Night - allegedly has been quoted saying (during the mid-seventies) that "Erst nach dem Tod von Jimi Hendrix und Rory Gallagher werde ich der beste Gitarrist der Welt sein", which translates into something like "Only after Jimi Hendrix and Rory Gallagher both are gone I can be considered the world's foremost guitarist."

It has to be said that there's no way whatsoever to proof its verisimilitude, and it strikes me as strange since Hendrix was dead for several years by that point, but I've seen that particular quote pop up occasionally (though strangely enough only in German texts, iirc). If true - and that's a big if, imho -, it could be considered quite a compliment, especially given Blackmore's dazzling technique back then, his infamous self-confidence and complacency* as well as his reported lack of respect for (some of) his peers.

*Though in all honesty, and to give the man his due, I've also read some citations where he comes off as rather modest, being frank about his deficits as a guitar player/band member and his general shortcomings as a human being socializing with the people around him.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby innuendo » 15 Aug 2011, 21:04

ritchie blackmore is one of the true guitar greats and i'm very happy that he spoke so highly of rory. even more because i watched an interview with ian gillan where he said that ritchie said that clapton can't play guitar and then gillan said something like:then i knew he's into world of his own. i found that very funny
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Tokeiihto » 16 Aug 2011, 01:46

Yeah, Ritchie seems to exhibit a ... well ... um ... volatile disposation, making no pretence about his thoughts and (dis)likes. Not to mention his infamous mood swings. The Man has given many people he has worked with throughout the years a rather rough time in the process. But there's no denying that he was (or is) a genius on the six-string. There are few guitarists who can shred as ferocious as Mr. Blackmore and one moment later lay down a beautiful emotional and heart-wrenching solo*. Too bad he turned his back on this kind of music. While I don't really dislike his current forays into renaissance pop/folk - after all he's been into neo-classical guitar playing his whole career - I wish he would pick up his white strat and really rock out on last time.

*Well, Rory obviously is one of them, though his guitar style was quite different from Ritchie's.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby bullfrogger » 16 Aug 2011, 08:18

Rory Gallagher played with some of the greatest musicians.

- "He was a great man in many ways. I never met him though. You know, some people don't become HUGE because they are too SMART! They hold back a little (like my brother Simon?) So they can remain true to themselves, Maybe Rory was like that? "
Pete Townshend (the Who)

- "Without a Shadow of a doubt, the person who inspired me to become a musician, and who I thought was unbelieveable and magical was Rory Gallagher"
Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)

- "Playing on stage with him in LA was one of the biggest thrills for me ever."
Slash (Guns 'n' Roses)

- "A beautiful man and an amazing guitar player."
The Edge (U2)

- "It was all about him playing the guitar, it got into your soul."
Cameron Crowe (Writer / Film Director)

- "Rory Gallagher he was a great player. I've seen him perform several times he just used to use a little Fender amp and that beat-up old Strat, but boy, he could make that guitar talk ... He was another guitar player who never got the credit he deserved, it's incredible . He either had a bad publicist, or I don't know. "
Ace Frehley (the Kiss)

- "In the 70s he built himself a reputation as a live performer of tremendous vitality ...
... He was even headhunted to join The Rolling Stones. "
Niall Stokes (Editor, Hot Press)

- "One of the things that was crucial for me I got from Rory Gallagher, which was the idea of, like, being a guitar player for life and living it."
Johnny Marr (The Smiths / Johnny Marr and the Healers)

- "So these couple of kids come up, who's me and my mate, and say 'How do you get your sound Mr. Gallagher? ' and he sits and tells us. So I owe Rory Gallagher my sound. "
Brian May (Queen)

- "Rory Gallagher always ploughed his own furrow, touring constantly and turning his back on commercial success to pursue his own music."
Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy)

- "An uncompromisingly serious musician"
The Times, 16th June 1995.

Sopurce - http://rhythmichorizons.blogspot.com/2011/06/rory-gallagher-legend-lives-on.html
bullfrogger

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Aug 2011, 13:22

VAN MORRISON
"Rory's death is a tragic loss of a great musician and a very good friend."

ROD STEWART
"Rory's dead? I'm shocked, so shocked. We used to have the same manager. We used to do tours together with Rory. He was a real good guy, a great player. That's taken me aback. I'm sorry. I can't believe it man."

JIMMY PAGE
"Rory's death really upset me. I heard about it just before we went on stage and it put a dampener on the evening. I can't say I knew him that well, but I remember meeting him in our offices once and we spent an hour talking. He was such a nice guy and a great player."

BONO
"One of the top ten guitar players of all time, but more importantly, one of the top ten good guys. Taste was my first experience of a real rock band."

THE EDGE (U2 guitarist)
"A beautiful man and an amazing guitar player. We'll miss him very much"

ADAM CLAYTON (U2)
"The first show I ever went to was Rory Gallagher at the Carlton in 1975. I'll always remember his Blues and acoustic playing. R.I.P."

MARTIN CARTHY (English Folk & Celtic performer)
"Words like fire, passion, friendliness, openness; these are all the words which apply. He was an open book. But one word and one word only can apply, it seems, to the person who makes life worthwhile by example. Who loves his trade and the people who also ply it and one who tells them so. Who makes his peers feel good by simple presence. Rory Gallagher graced music as he graced humanity. The word is grace."
Jay Jay

Postby nadinechevalier » 18 Aug 2011, 08:32

Eric Sardinas ,one of the younger blues musicians is a fan of Rory .
A quote of an interview Eric Sardinas gave 3 years ago ,

"NHOR : Also on this album you've recorded an incredible version of Tony Joe White's "As The Crow Flies". That song was made popular by the late great Rory Gallagher from Rory covering it on his live 'Irish Tour '74' album. Was that where you first heard the song, and if so, what influence did Rory have on your music ?

ES : That's how I heard it. I actually heard Rory....He was playing acoustic...man, he was playing that thing sideways. It was just such a romantic piece. If you actually open up 'Black Pearls', on the inside, where there's a backstage photo, there's a picture of Rory on the wall. I put that up there as a tribute to him. He was just such an incredible, one of a kind player, and everything he did was just so real. Again, like the Elvis thing, he contributed his way. I just saw the Resonator up there, and the words just spoke to me. It's a great energy. In my roots of Delta blues, it's all about one person and their connection with the instrument, of the song communicating and being magical. The performance on 'Irish Tour '74' was something which really shone a light on me, and I just fell in love with it instantly. I definitely made it my own but kept it in check with where it came from.

He was just one of those players where nobody else was like him. They broke the mold. He's as individual as anyone else...Roy Buchanan, Johnny Winter, Hendrix, Page, Beck, these guys...Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley...the reason that we know these people is the fact that there's no one like them. "
http://houseofrockinterviews.blogspot.c ... -eric.html

Nadine Chev.
nadinechevalier

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome