Playing Rorys Strat : Bernie Marsden Talks.

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Playing Rorys Strat : Bernie Marsden Talks.

Postby bc1968 » 01 Aug 2011, 09:58

Hey Everybody

Heres a link to to a short film on youtube that includes Bernie Marsden talking about the night Donal gave him the one and only oppertunity to play Rorys Strat. Its not long but well worth watching.

If you wanna cut to the chase forward to 6 minutes 15 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBswtPLeo1M
bc1968

Re: Playing Rorys Strat : Bernie Marsden Talks.

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Aug 2011, 10:40

Thanks BC for putting this YT clip about Bernie talking about playing Rory's Strat :)

Bernie & Rory.jpg

Cheers Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 01 Aug 2011, 12:36

Thanks!

But i'm still can't hear what does he saying about strings. He got a broke string when he moved out strat from the case? And what was next? What he did and who said "C'mon, do it"?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby bullfrogger » 01 Aug 2011, 14:06

JimLED wrote:Thanks!

But i'm still can't hear what does he saying about strings. He got a broke string when he moved out strat from the case? And what was next? What he did and who said "C'mon, do it"?

I Plugged The Guitar In, It Still has the same strings on.. as the day Rory Played It... and strings go off you know, especially when they are in a guitar case,

I plugged this thing in, and i had just re-strung my own guitar, this was more vibrant and happening than mine,

It was almost as if the guitar said "Come On - Do It!" It was a privilege
bullfrogger

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Aug 2011, 14:18

bullfrogger wrote: Plugged The Guitar In, It Still has the same strings on.. as the day Rory Played It... and strings go off you know, especially when they are in a guitar case,

I plugged this thing in, and i had just re-strung my own guitar, this was more vibrant and happening than mine,

It was almost as if the guitar said "Come On - Do It!" It was a privilege

As I said on Rory's Anniversary .. RORY GALLAGHER .. his spirit will go on FOREVER :)
Jay Jay

Postby bc1968 » 01 Aug 2011, 21:02

I don't doubt Bernie saying he was Rorys friend, but i've never heard of any connection between them before....has anyone else? However, for Donal to make this really special gesture then i guess they must have been friends.
Its amazing to think that it had the same strings on it as it did when Rory Passed.....i'm no guitarist but to the people who are ...i would ask you how remarkable it is that it still played??

Anyway...i mean no disrespect by this but i'm slightly sad that Rory is no longer the last person who played it.
Rory himself saw his guitars as no more than tools of the trade so i'm sure he wouldn't of had a problem with it...
Probably would wish someone was playing it on a regular basis now.
What does anyone else think??

BC
bc1968

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Aug 2011, 21:16

bc1968 wrote:Anyway...i mean no disrespect by this but i'm slightly sad that Rory is no longer the last person who played it.
Rory himself saw his guitars as no more than tools of the trade so i'm sure he wouldn't of had a problem with it...
Probably would wish someone was playing it on a regular basis now.
What does anyone else think??

BC

Hi BC,
Bernie isnt the only one to have played Rory's strat (only one at a gig maybe). I know Barry SINNERBOY Barnes has had a little go playing it..
Plus no doubt Daniel Gallagher Rory's nephew has also. As he's been a gutarist in a band and to exhibition with it,seen in picture here..
As you say Rory himself I'm sure would'nt mind this.

Daniel Gallagher & Strat.jpg

Cheers Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby bc1968 » 01 Aug 2011, 21:21

Hey JJ

Yeah..fair point, didn't realise about Barry Barnes. Man!...he must of been blown away.
bc1968

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Aug 2011, 21:27

bc1968 wrote:Hey JJ

Yeah..fair point, didn't realise about Barry Barnes. Man!...he must of been blown away.

Yes that's right. I remember Barry saying he was a bit in awe of "the strat" and didn't really hold it and have a go playing for long. I remember him also saying he thought the action was high. Compared to the action on the strats these days, making it a lot more difficult to master the stratocaster years ago ;)
Jay Jay

Postby bullfrogger » 02 Aug 2011, 08:14

Here's the clip of Bernie getting Rory's Strat from Donal and playing it, also the interview later where Bernie describes the experience..

bullfrogger

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome