Brute Force and Ignorance - NfSF & sex Pistols timeline ??

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Brute Force and Ignorance - NfSF & sex Pistols timeline ??

Postby folkdeejay » 30 Jun 2011, 11:20

Hi All,

Reading the (excellent) sleeve notes I am reminded of something that puzzles me a bit.

The story goes that Brute Force & Ignorance, as recorded on PhotoFinish, is broadly about the Sex Pistols playing in SF - the lyrics suggest so, and it has been stated in many interviews, sleeve notes etc.

So - fair enough, Rory wrote the song inspired by the night the Sex Pistols "hit town, looking like survivors from the lost & found"

Brute Force & Ignorance is also on Notes from SF..... albeit in a different arrangement, so the song was part of the NfSF sessions.

But the same Sex Pistols gig is cited as rth reason Rory lost faith in a "full" band sound, and wanted to get back to a trio..... but if he had seen the gig before the sessions, with enough time to write and arrange Brute Force, then is this actually correct ?
folkdeejay

Re: Brute Force and Ignorance - NfSF & sex Pistols timeline

Postby Drumolator » 08 Jul 2011, 19:04

That is a great question; however, I do not know the answer. Peace and goodwill.
Mark Wellman ><>
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Drumolator

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Jul 2011, 19:47

Rory was always well clued up ..
He would have know way before he saw the Sex Pistols in SF the Punk movement mid late 70's. A year or more before to inspire him to write the song BFAI ;)
Jay Jay

Postby folkdeejay » 08 Jul 2011, 20:49

Jay Jay

maybe...but in several interviews, it is stated that seeing The Pistols inspired the song..... and yet the same gig is cited by Donal and Eiot Mazer as casuing a change of heart during the mixing..... and yet the song arrived "arranged and rehearsed" from Japan....so the timeline confuses me...

perhaps as you saye Rory wrote the song about the punk movement in general....but that is at odds with previously written info that Bf&I was written about the gig as well...which made sense when it first appeared on Photofinish, but not now it was part of the San Fransisco sessions.

B
folkdeejay

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Jul 2011, 21:37

Folksdeejay

You forget in time the Sex Pistols began in 1975. Rory probably heard about them early doors because they were formed around where his offices were in Chelsea, London. They even played at the Marquee Club where Rory had a residency once with Taste and and after the Rory Gallagher band.
Rory saw them in San Francisco just before they split in 1978 ..

On 14 January 1978, during the tour's final date at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, a disillusioned Rotten introduced the band's encore saying, "You'll get one number and one number only 'cause I'm a lazy bastard." That one number was a Stooges cover, "No Fun". At the end of the song, Rotten, kneeling on the stage, chanted an unambiguous declaration, "This is no fun. No fun. This is no fun—at all. No fun." As the final cymbal crash died away, Rotten addressed the audience directly—"Ah-ha-ha. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Good night"—before throwing down his microphone and walking offstage.He later observed, "I felt cheated, and I wasn't going on with it any longer; it was a ridiculous farce. Sid was completely out of his brains—just a waste of space. The whole thing was a joke at that point.... [Malcolm] wouldn't speak to me.... He would not discuss anything with me. But then he would turn around and tell Paul and Steve that the tension was all my fault because I wouldn't agree to anything."
On 17 January, the band split, making their ways separately to Los Angeles. McLaren, Cook and Jones prepared to fly to Rio de Janeiro for a working vacation. Vicious, in increasingly bad shape, was taken to Los Angeles by a friend, who then brought him to New York, where he was immediately hospitalized. Rotten later described his own situation: "The Sex Pistols left me, stranded in Los Angeles with no ticket, no hotel room, and a message to Warner Bros saying that if anyone phones up claiming to be Johnny Rotten, then they were lying. That's how I finished with Malcolm—but not with the rest of the band; I'll always like them."
Rotten flew to New York, where he announced the band's break-up in a newspaper interview on 18 January.
Jay Jay

Postby Micky » 08 Jul 2011, 21:42

I thought that i read that SHADOW PLAY was also inspired but Punk which was something i could never really see?.
Micky

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome