New Rory Songs

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: New Rory Songs

Postby jimmcc » 19 Apr 2010, 14:24

Do you have a copy Jay jay?
jimmcc

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Apr 2010, 14:27

Unfortunately not Monty ...

Dino might have? One of the acts were the Fenton Brothers if I remember correctly.
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Apr 2010, 14:38

http://www.paulfenton.com/discog.htm

Scroll down this link here, there is a mention of the The Rory Gallagher Tribute cassette done in 1995.

http://www.paulfenton.com/bio.htm

Scroll down here also you will see a picture of Rory and Paul :)
Jay Jay

Postby RoryButler » 19 Apr 2010, 20:09

64351 wrote:hate me for this but i really enjoy john mayer's guitar playing...i know many people
don't like him but he's a great player ..and hugely popular... but he often sucks at singing :?

Sorry that this is a bit off topic!
But I feel John Mayer is a great singer! Some of his stuff doesn't really appeal to many (His pop stuff is hated in the blues crowd, blues stuff hated in the pop crowd! :P) but I feel he is a great musician in every aspect!
However, he wouldn't suit a Rory sound at all, don't get me wrong, he can do some of the more upbeat bluesy stuff within reason (Vultures, Wait Until Tomorrow, etc) and his slower blues stuff (Out of my Mind especially) is great, but definately not Rory. Well aside from his hand-reliced guitar which has clear Rory influence :lol: But this isn't a John Mayer forum so I'm sorry about the digression!

On the idea of someone recording Rory written songs (in the case of unreleased ones at least), call me stubborn, but I wouldn't like that at all. I'm sure anyone who would be approached to do it would do a fantastic job (considering names like Gary Moore are being thrown around in this thread) but...it just wouldn't be right :?
I can't find the right words to explain my feelings on this subject properly, but I just couldn't see it working in terms of a Rory project.
Especially as many of the people who would be willing (the big names at least) would have too much of a distinct style to their playing for it to be anything but their own work.

However, I do like the idea of a collaboration of tribute acts recording a CD. Pity it's a bit of an ambitious project!
With studio costs, geographical location, etc it'd be very difficult, and of course there would be an uproar when an individual's favourite/local Roryband didn't appear on it!
With so many great Rory tribute acts it'd be very hard to limit it to maybe 10-15 of them depending on how many tracks were on it.
RoryButler

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome