How did you start listening to Rory?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: How did you start listening to Rory?

Postby nickskelson » 28 Jan 2012, 16:00

No mate, they are no more. I have even heard that Steve White, the guitarist has died recently. Not sure if this is 100% right though.
Raw Gallagher were great, Steve White was the best Rory "copycat" guitarist, he had some of the solo's near 100%. He didn't have a good voice though, and had no personality as a front man. He was the nearest to Rory in a copycat way. Barry Barnes and Chris Stuckey are the two foremost guys in my opinion. They both have different aspects covered, Marcel from Wolfpin and Band Of Friends is also very, very good. Gwyn Ashton is also very, very influenced by Rory and was great in Band Of Friends circa 2004.
The best surprise of 2011 was the Scottish guys Against The Grain, who were great at the Cavern Nov 2011. There is a guy up in Yorskshire Jed Thomas, who is also really worth a mention.
Keep on rocking to Rory boys and girls.
nickskelson

Postby shadowplay57 » 28 Jan 2012, 16:53

Thank you very much for info Nick. That is sad news about Raw Gallagher if the guitarist has passed away sounds like i missed out. I shall certainly look out for Ted Thomas. Last gig i went to was bill wyman's rhythm kings well over a year ago and i only went to that to see garaint watkins. I must get my ass back out there.
shadowplay57

Postby shadowplay57 » 28 Jan 2012, 16:56

shadowplay57 wrote:Thank you very much for info Nick. That is sad news about Raw Gallagher if the guitarist has passed away sounds like i missed out. I shall certainly look out for Ted Thomas. Last gig i went to was bill wyman's rhythm kings well over a year ago and i only went to that to see garaint watkins. I must get my ass back out there.

Sorry i meant Jed thomas
shadowplay57

Postby nickskelson » 28 Jan 2012, 17:06

Hey Shadowplay57 - 3rd May, New Roscoe, Leeds -- Sinnerboy are gonna Just Hit Town. Put it in the diary, and we can have a pint and swap stories mate.
I will be coming up to Harrogate with Steve (Bullfrogger on here) to watch and jam with Jed Thomas one weekend, so I'll let you know when mate.
nickskelson

Postby shadowplay57 » 28 Jan 2012, 17:23

nickskelson wrote:Hey Shadowplay57 - 3rd May, New Roscoe, Leeds -- Sinnerboy are gonna Just Hit Town. Put it in the diary, and we can have a pint and swap stories mate.
I will be coming up to Harrogate with Steve (Bullfrogger on here) to watch and jam with Jed Thomas one weekend, so I'll let you know when mate.

That would be great Nick. Leeds is only a short hop on the train from me. Thanks for letting me know i look forward to it. Glad i found this site with people that are as passionate about Rory as i am. Names John by the way
shadowplay57

Postby Laundromaticator » 30 Jan 2012, 12:20

Saw Rory on BBC TV music program 'Disco 2' playing 'Sinner Boy' and was immediately hooked. It's what got me interested in playing slide. Interesting that Richard got interested after seeing Photo Finish advertised on the inner sleeve of a Leo Kottke album. Leo and John Fahey are my two acoustic guitar heroes.
Laundromaticator

Postby innuendo » 31 Jan 2012, 00:32

Laundromaticator wrote:Saw Rory on BBC TV music program 'Disco 2' playing 'Sinner Boy' and was immediately hooked. It's what got me interested in playing slide. Interesting that Richard got interested after seeing Photo Finish advertised on the inner sleeve of a Leo Kottke album. Leo and John Fahey are my two acoustic guitar heroes.

which concert was that? maybe that's some lost footage that we yet have to discover
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby silentreborn » 06 Feb 2012, 17:58

My guitar teacher got me hooked on him along with a friend of him.
We were talking about great guitar legends such as Jimi Hendrix and Stevie ray Vaughan, battered guitars and phenomenal stage performances when all of the sudden his friend said to my teacher:

"Well so you remember Rory Gallagher. That Irish guy with his totally worn-out strat?"
Guitar teacher: "Yeah sure! How could I forget that one? Rember his performance on Rockpalast 1977? That was pure magic! Just think about Bullfrog Blues!"

And all of the sudden I found myself hanging onto their lips listening to every word of wisdom they spread about that mysterious Irish guitarist, his name already very permanent in my brain.
The only thing my guitar teacher said to me after the talk was:" You should check him out. You'll definetly like that guy."

And he was so very right :D Went of to listen to him on youtube, heard and saw 'Bullfrog Blues' and was blown away! The next day I went to the recordstore to purchase his album "Tattoo"...and that was the beginnig
of many endless other purchases and listening sessions.
silentreborn

Postby Lowrocker » 29 Apr 2012, 17:25

My dad told me about him :D
Lowrocker

Postby Al chop » 05 May 2012, 09:03

Saw Live In Europe at Gemco dept. store in Long Beach, CA. Bought it on cover photo only. I was a 12 y.o. First year guitar player. Only other album I purchased that way, T. Rex Electric Warrior at a garage sale for ten cents...You can guess which one I was able to learn first, and which one I still haven't!
Al chop

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome