How did you start listening to Rory?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: How did you start listening to Rory?

Postby blues blooded » 16 Oct 2011, 15:39

innuendo wrote:
blues blooded wrote:A friend of mine had a Rory album (can't remember which one) on cassette :shock: Yep, I'm that old. I liked it a lot, but I think I was listening to so much other rock and metal that I overlooked him.

Someone at work mentioned Rory and he was also cropping up on the Saxon forum. So I decide to check him out. I bought Photo Finish and Against The Grain.

That was it,I was overcome. Such class

i'm on saxon forum (same nick) and i mentioned rory there a few times. i'm thinking of opening rory thread on saxon forum. what's your nick there?

Lionessheart ! I was pretty sure you had to be one an the same!
blues blooded

Postby innuendo » 16 Oct 2011, 18:31

hey! yes that's me and i remember you very well, i should figured it out by your joan jett avatar. when i posted some rory youtube link you said: clapton eat your heart out. i remember it like it was yesterday and i even quoted you on this forum. i'm glad we meet here again and i'm happy i had at least a little to do that you became a fan.

here it is, i found a topic where i quoted you

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=529&hilit=my+little+contribution&start=30
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby blues blooded » 17 Oct 2011, 16:11

innuendo wrote:hey! yes that's me and i remember you very well, i should figured it out by your joan jett avatar. when i posted some rory youtube link you said: clapton eat your heart out. i remember it like it was yesterday and i even quoted you on this forum. i'm glad we meet here again and i'm happy i had at least a little to do that you became a fan.

Well, I've now got all of Rory's studio albums, plus Montreux, Irish 74, Live In Europe and Stage Struck and I have to say, it's mostly down to you - we will forever disagree on Iron Maiden, but other than that we've got pretty similar tastes -anyone who has Queen 2 for their avatar as to be OK!
blues blooded

Postby innuendo » 18 Oct 2011, 11:00

blues blooded wrote:
innuendo wrote:hey! yes that's me and i remember you very well, i should figured it out by your joan jett avatar. when i posted some rory youtube link you said: clapton eat your heart out. i remember it like it was yesterday and i even quoted you on this forum. i'm glad we meet here again and i'm happy i had at least a little to do that you became a fan.

Well, I've now got all of Rory's studio albums, plus Montreux, Irish 74, Live In Europe and Stage Struck and I have to say, it's mostly down to you - we will forever disagree on Iron Maiden, but other than that we've got pretty similar tastes -anyone who has Queen 2 for their avatar as to be OK!

hehe thanks. actually on saxon forum my avatar is not queen 2 picture, it's a photo from 1985 (11 years after queen 2 photo was taken) from one vision video, it's at beginning of that video and they are in same pose as on queen 2 but obviously older, love that photo! only brian looks pretty much the same. and also i can't tell you how happy i am that someone became a rory fan cos of me
innuendo

Postby blues blooded » 18 Oct 2011, 18:02

innuendo wrote:
blues blooded wrote:

hehe thanks. actually on saxon forum my avatar is not queen 2 picture, it's a photo from 1985 (11 years after queen 2 photo was taken) from one vision video, it's at beginning of that video and they are in same pose as on queen 2 but obviously older, love that photo! only brian looks pretty much the same. and also i can't tell you how happy i am that someone became a rory fan cos of me

Well I was almost there:oops: :oops:

Q2 is a great album though!!
blues blooded

Postby innuendo » 19 Oct 2011, 00:17

Q2 is a great album though!!

it certainly is! and it has one of the most iconic images in music as a cover. are you really a big fan of joan jett cos you have her avatar here and also on saxon forum?
innuendo

Postby deuce » 18 Nov 2011, 09:08

Simone67 wrote:..it was in 1997 when I became hooked to RORY.- A then -just-started-to-date-boyfriend of mine just could not believe that a Rock/Blues music Fan like me had not heard RORY !! (I had merely heard OF him among my friends of musicians ) ..so it was one weekend that he had just arrived at my appartement I lived at back then and had hardly been there for 5 minutes only to decide on the spot, to return to his home in Remscheid (about a 3 hour drive...) to return very late that evening with THE Rockpalast-video, Grugahalle,Essen !!....Well,what can I say...
:o :shock: :o :shock: ...I think that puts it plain ?!! The following Monday I went straight down to the local record shop and bought The Irish Tour that he had recommended to me to start with.
I listened to that over and over and over...then I fell into kind of a state of "mourning" over this tragic loss,only two years prior to my discovering him,that stuck heavily with me for some length of time,during which I could no longer listen,or even talk about Rory at all,without becoming really depressed!-
BUT ! I have overcome this dark cloud very fortunately,mostly due to an advice given to me by my brother who is a therapist.- He told me a lot about what he did with clients in a state of fear or trauma. To put it very short: Don`t hide away from it..FACE it !! Look it in the eye,and then get over it.
So I tried it with RORY...by hardcore-listening-remedy.. and thank God,it worked eventually,and now I listen to him ALL the time,and with such thrill and joy !! -The sadness still comes and goes on occasion,but I believe that is something all of us Rory fans must deal with from time to time. ;)

Hi there,

just wanted to thank for that comment, as it ´s quite a relief to know that other people went through the same as I do at the moment. I was worried a bit because of this strange mood, but as I see, it is quite common when it comes to Rory ;)
Got into that "Rory thing" quite recently, the day I was at his grave in September, to be precise. Before, surely I knew his name and one or two songs, but that was it...
I went to Ballincollig as mentioned before, just to accompany a friend. I really don´t know what has happened to me there but one thing ´s for sure, after that visit, nothing was the same anymore. I am anything but a spiritual person, but I had such a strong feeling of sadness there. That feeling lasted a couple of days, then I started digging through all his stuff, and got to know his life story.
It is exciting to discover his wonderful tunes but the same time it´s hard for me to deal with the fact that he´s gone. It´s like you´ve lost someone the minute you´ve discovered how precious he is... sounds pretty weird, I know....

Anyhow, sorry for bothering with that crazy stuff, but I just wanted to get this off my chest and I was so glad I´ve found a place like this, you people seem to be more or less the same crazy about that man as me, if I may say so ;)

Thanks again !
deuce

Postby Sid_Sidow » 18 Nov 2011, 23:57

richard wrote:I recalled having seen Rory playing his worn Stratocaster on ABC's "In Concert" in the mid 70's,

Like Richard, I found Rory on the "In Concert" series. I was still in high school and just started seriously listening to music (I was over my Herman's Hermits phase). At the time it was harder rock, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath. But then on TV I saw this guy with the flannel shirt and beat up guitar that just grabbed me!! His voice was so real, the guitar was marvelous! I think it was about this time that I started to part my hair in the middle and grow it longer. I never even realized that until just recently - 35 years on!

I immediately went out to buy Tattoo (still my favorite) and Irish Tour '74. My only regret was then I left for college, start a job, got married and started a family and I lost track of him and his music. Only when I heard he passed away did I start back in and bought up all the CDs.
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby mac » 20 Nov 2011, 11:07

deuce wrote:
Simone67 wrote:..it was in 1997 when I became hooked to RORY.- A then -just-started-to-date-boyfriend of mine just could not believe that a Rock/Blues music Fan like me had not heard RORY !! (I had merely heard OF him among my friends of musicians ) ..so it was one weekend that he had just arrived at my appartement I lived at back then and had hardly been there for 5 minutes only to decide on the spot, to return to his home in Remscheid (about a 3 hour drive...) to return very late that evening with THE Rockpalast-video, Grugahalle,Essen !!....Well,what can I say...
:o :shock: :o :shock: ...I think that puts it plain ?!! The following Monday I went straight down to the local record shop and bought The Irish Tour that he had recommended to me to start with.
I listened to that over and over and over...then I fell into kind of a state of "mourning" over this tragic loss,only two years prior to my discovering him,that stuck heavily with me for some length of time,during which I could no longer listen,or even talk about Rory at all,without becoming really depressed!-
BUT ! I have overcome this dark cloud very fortunately,mostly due to an advice given to me by my brother who is a therapist.- He told me a lot about what he did with clients in a state of fear or trauma. To put it very short: Don`t hide away from it..FACE it !! Look it in the eye,and then get over it.
So I tried it with RORY...by hardcore-listening-remedy.. and thank God,it worked eventually,and now I listen to him ALL the time,and with such thrill and joy !! -The sadness still comes and goes on occasion,but I believe that is something all of us Rory fans must deal with from time to time. ;)

Hi there,

just wanted to thank for that comment, as it ´s quite a relief to know that other people went through the same as I do at the moment. I was worried a bit because of this strange mood, but as I see, it is quite common when it comes to Rory ;)
Got into that "Rory thing" quite recently, the day I was at his grave in September, to be precise. Before, surely I knew his name and one or two songs, but that was it...
I went to Ballincollig as mentioned before, just to accompany a friend. I really don´t know what has happened to me there but one thing ´s for sure, after that visit, nothing was the same anymore. I am anything but a spiritual person, but I had such a strong feeling of sadness there. That feeling lasted a couple of days, then I started digging through all his stuff, and got to know his life story.
It is exciting to discover his wonderful tunes but the same time it´s hard for me to deal with the fact that he´s gone. It´s like you´ve lost someone the minute you´ve discovered how precious he is... sounds pretty weird, I know....

Anyhow, sorry for bothering with that crazy stuff, but I just wanted to get this off my chest and I was so glad I´ve found a place like this, you people seem to be more or less the same crazy about that man as me, if I may say so ;)

Thanks again !

Nice one Deuce and welcome to the forum.
I cant quite remember how I started listening to Rory,I think it was after my older brother went to see him in the national stadium and came home and told me about it.He was'nt a man for buying records, but I'd say thats what inspired me to buy my first Rory album.
mac

Postby Simone67 » 20 Nov 2011, 13:10

...Dear deuce...

:) ...you are NOT alone,as you have found out ! All the real Roryheads go through these phases and stages of sadness and thrill....I think it`s a lasting thing,too,with Rory-.But also the most rewarding !
Don`t feel bad,please, about feeling a need to share your emotions regarding Rory. We all understand. ;)
-Up and down like a rollercoaster the feelings go.You hear a special Rory song and it may excite you to the point of passing out almost,then another time,you hear or see him play something ...and it will just hit you like a ton of bricks and you just might feel like crying....all normal, I assure you,in Rory world !!!

best wishes and LLOOOAAADDDSS more Rory stuff for you to discover here !
Simone67

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome