How did you start listening to Rory?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

How did you start listening to Rory?

Postby richard » 25 Jun 2011, 05:25

I had bought a copy of Leo Kottke's album "Burnt Lips" -- the album sleeve had pictures of other Chrysalis artists, one of whom was Rory. I recalled having seen Rory playing his worn Stratocaster on ABC's "In Concert" in the mid 70's, so I made it a point to pick up a copy of Photo Finish on my next trip to the record store. When I dropped the needle on it -- well, let's just say that I knew I had found something great. Every track was outstanding. The mix of rock, blues, and Celtic flavor was something that I really connected with. The mandolin and dulcimer were nice touches, and Rory's guitar playing was amazing. It's like you can tell when someone was born to make music -- if that could be said of anyone, it would be Rory Gallagher.
richard

Re: How did you start listening to Rory?

Postby Jay Jay » 25 Jun 2011, 09:14

Nice Rory fans topic Richard ..

I first heard of Rory back in 1972. This guy at art college Pete said to me, you got to hear this guy Rory Gallagher. On which I said who the hell is he? Next day he bought in the album Deuce for me to listen to. Well when I took it home and played this album, I was absolutely blown away. I bought that album Deuce that same week, followed by the latest one out then Live In Europe. Then Rory was about to come and gig in a couple of months time "In Our Town" So I saw Rory for the first time live. Anybody who was lucky enough to see Rory in the 70's, would without fail be blown away, because he was so electrifying and like a hurricane on stage.
Jay Jay

Postby Mandyl » 25 Jun 2011, 15:44

Saw 'Irish Tour' film at the cinema when it was a trailer for either 'Star Dust' or 'That'll Be The day' in, I think, 1975. It seemed like it was the music I had been waiting for even though I was only 16. I saw Rory live once in 1979 and it was fantastic. His music still makes me feel the same today.
Mandyl

Postby bullfrogger » 25 Jun 2011, 18:25

I got dragged to a concert...... Rory hit the stage and blew me away... Been on his trail ever since.:D
bullfrogger

Postby Micky » 26 Jun 2011, 08:19

I picked up on Rory after i bought his DEFENDER album in 1987 & FRESH EVIDENCE in 1990.

Then went and bought the following albums-
TOP PRIORITY
JINX
IRISH TOUR ' 74
LIVE IN EUROPE/STAGE STRUCK

And that was about all that was available on Demon records in the UK in the late 1980s until after Rory's death and the re-issue of his other albums in 1998/99 apart from THE G-MEN SERIES Vol ONE in 1992 which i bought.
Micky

Postby Sinner Girl » 27 Jun 2011, 01:45

I first noticed Rory when i heard The Taste song Sinner Boy, i just blow me how good they sound and start buy albums i mean LP's First album was simple the Taste on LP , and fell in love in Rory music

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Doug » 27 Jun 2011, 04:07

In early 1973 I went to a concert to see Deep Purple headlining, backed by 2nd on the bill Fleetwood Mac and somebody as 3rd on the bill that I had never heard of, Rory Gallagher. Even though he only got about 40 minutes to do his thing, Rory completely blew both the other bands away, as well as a significant part of the audience. Well at least this audience member. I was hooked from that moment.
Doug

Postby Micky » 27 Jun 2011, 09:24

Doug wrote:In early 1973 I went to a concert to see Deep Purple headlining, backed by 2nd on the bill Fleetwood Mac and somebody as 3rd on the bill that I had never heard of, Rory Gallagher. Even though he only got about 40 minutes to do his thing, Rory completely blew both the other bands away, as well as a significant part of the audience. Well at least this audience member. I was hooked from that moment.

Reading your post Doug and being a DEEP PURPLE & RITCHIE BLACKMORE fan made we wonder if RORY ever jammed with RITCHIE?. I have NEVER heard of any such jam ever taking place between the two of them (in print anyway) but maybe they both did get together and have a 'blow' backstage cos Rory was on several DEEP PURPLE tours during the early 70s.
Last edited by Micky on 27 Jun 2011, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Micky

Postby innuendo » 27 Jun 2011, 09:30

i am to young to see rory live, i was 12 when he died. i got into him some 3 years back. i heard of him cos i'm into rock but i never really gave him a proper listen. i downloaded his best of (i think it was the essential) and something magical happened-after a few listenings i liked every song on that compilation so that was it for me. so no one dragged me to rory concert, i didn't hear him on the radio, no one gave me his album... it was just me and my curiosity that made me start listening to him
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Micky » 27 Jun 2011, 09:41

innuendo wrote:i am to young to see rory live, i was 12 when he died. i got into him some 3 years back. i heard of him cos i'm into rock but i never really gave him a proper listen. i downloaded his best of (i think it was the essential) and something magical happened-after a few listenings i liked every song on that compilation so that was it for me. so no one dragged me to rory concert, i didn't hear him on the radio, no one gave me his album... it was just me and my curiosity that made me start listening to him

I saw RORY play live on 3-occasions all at the TOWN & COUNTRY CLUB in KENTISH TOWN in NORTH LONDON.

1988 as part of the DEFENDER tour.
1992 the 'infamous gig' where Rory played against doctors orders!!.

Guy's that saw him either play in TASTE or during the 1970s probably saw him at his ABSOLUTE PEAK as a performer!!.
Micky

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome