Thoughts On The Blues

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Thoughts On The Blues

Postby Micky » 16 Jun 2011, 14:42

Blues is a matter of taste (to use a pun) you either like blues or you don't like blues or you couldn't careless either way?. Personally speaking i prefer blues/rock played in either a mid or fast tempo over 'straight blues' played SLOW although an exception to that would be JIMI HENDRIX own composition called HEAR MY TRAIN A COMIN' (slow electric country blues) even Jimi's other main 'slow blues' number RED HOUSE as good as it is/was could drag slightly over the course of 10-15 minutes during a 'live performance' but JIMI just about kept it interesting by playing hundreds of notes and also using the guitars 'whammy bar' and gently 'tapping' the back of the guitar neck to create subtle use of 'feedback' blowing through his Marshall stacks in between his non-playing passages in the song.
Micky

Postby eno » 17 Jun 2011, 00:03

A vehicle for a story to be told, happy or sad, it has a character, it is the blues. I didn't really 'get it' til I got older, divorce & alcohol helped. I love the simple framework, always remember it's about the song as a whole rather than the guitar chops. Not something to be over analysed just played.
Diana wrote:
"very sensitive, passionate, single-minded and somewhat down. If people were assigned keys at birth, the blues person would be given a 'low-key' - they might look at the world in a slightly more morose or dark way, but the childlike passion they also have counters that. The combination can result in great blues"
That's good, maybe not typical of all who picked up a guitar.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby diana » 17 Jun 2011, 08:55

Micky, I agree that Should've Learned My Lesson is not a very good song. Quite a few songs Rory wrote, especially later, I don't like. But Hoodoo Man is killer!! Especially the 1972 Beat Club Sessions version, and the one on the Live In Europe cd. I also listen to What In The World quite a bit. One of the slowest blues songs I love is Cold Weather Blues by Muddy Waters. It's dark, sparse and brilliant.

The humour - yes, I agree there is humour in the blues, for sure. Some of the lines in Rag Mama kill me, they're crazy! Barley & Grape rag too. All those songs about getting wasted, arrested or fighting can be hilarious. When I perform Nothin' But The Devil I sometimes crack up - what a great song. But humour is often the flipside of depression - think of all the best comedians you know, a lot of them are depressed. When things are shit, all you can do is 'laugh to keep from cryin''.
Music is the best.
diana

Postby Leedelta » 17 Jun 2011, 09:18

To me blues is about "carrying on" in its various guises. wheter its getting drunk,frisky or marching forward through a rough batch of life.

It was in the beginning and will remain to be "party/feelgood" music.

Granted the "sorrowful" Blues songs tend to pop up a lot in setlists but also chances are most Blues Band play a few Jimmy Reed covers as well.

I am not one for the histronics of a lot of the "newer" Blues players with 10 min solos and whatnot. Give me Peter Green/Larry Carlton over Joe Bonamassa anyday.

"I want to be a Bapist preacher, so I don't have to work" is a favorite blues line or one of the best blues songs in the last 25 years is "Right next door, because of me" by Robert Cray which mixs Blues and Soul.

As for why certain people love the Blues..I will paraphrase Rory "it gets into your blood as a beacon"
Leedelta

Postby Micky » 17 Jun 2011, 09:23

diana wrote:Micky, I agree that Should've Learned My Lesson is not a very good song. Quite a few songs Rory wrote, especially later, I don't like. But Hoodoo Man is killer!! Especially the 1972 Beat Club Sessions version, and the one on the Live In Europe cd.

Hiya diana, maybe i was a bit harsh saying that i didn't think that Rory's three 'slow blues' numbers weren't that good. What i should have said was that Rory's three slow blues numbers didn't do much for me instead i prefer my blues 'rocked up' a bit rather then played to slow.

1. WHAT IN THE WORLD for my tastes is played way to slow.

2. SHOULD' VE LEARNT MY LESSON i haven't heard for a long time but Rory's lyrics are good from what i can recall?.

3. HOODOO MAN (BLUES) i don't think this is an original Gallagher song but a 'traditional blues' song although Rory may have added some of his his own lyrics?. Again this number is played way to slow for my liking.
Micky

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jun 2011, 11:00

Rory changed " The Blues " he did Blues Rock, Blues Jazz, Blues Celtic and this song with great bloozzy lyrics with a funky / shuffle rhythm :) ..

I’M WALKIN’ WOUNDED
GOT MY HEART IN A SLING
I’VE BEEN INJECTED
TILL I DON’T FEEL A THING
YOU GOT ME HURTING
WHERE IT GETS ME MOST
IF I HAD SOME SENSE
I’D MOVE BACK TO THE SOUTHERN COAST
I’M TRULY WOUNDED
LIKE A FOX IN A SNARE
I FEEL INSPECTED
‘CAUSE I’M CAUGHT IN YOUR GLARE
YOU’VE DONE YOUR DAMAGE,
ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU’RE THROUGH?
DON’T CROSS ME NO MORE
I’VE HAD A ENOUGH OF YOU
LIKE SLEEP WALKIN’,
LIKE AN UNLIT FUSE,
I’M BREAKING OUT, BABY,
GOT NO TIME TO LOSE
I FEEL SUSPENDED
GOT NO LUST FOR LIFE
YOU DREW MY PICTURE,
AS SHARP AS A KNIFE
TIME IS A WASTING
BUT THE MESSAGE GOT THROUGH
DON’T CROSS ME NO MORE
I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU
I’M WALKIN’ WOUNDED
GOT MY HEART IN A SLING
I’VE BEEN INJECTED
TILL I DON’T FEEL A THING
YOU GOT ME HURTING
WHERE IT GETS ME MOST
IF I HAD SOME SENSE
I’D MOVE BACK TO THE SOUTHERN COAST

Btw, I disagree I think "Should 've Learnt My Lesson" to be a fine bloozzy Rory composition :D
Jay Jay

Postby Micky » 17 Jun 2011, 12:04

Mention of WALKING WOUND above reminds me?.

The strange thing is when FRESH EVIDENCE was first released back around April 1990 i bought it on vinyl & tape cassette but i didn't really like it BUT in recent years i think it has become MY FAVOURITE album of his, every track on FRESH EVIDENCE is pure GOLD although DEUCE is probably my 2nd favourite followed by the 2-TASTE studio albums.
Micky

Postby brian_brady » 18 Jun 2011, 02:37

I honestly don't know where to begin, I don't want to be disrespectful or cruel to people on this message board, but come on, what are you guys talking about.
RORY GALLAGHER was a BLUES MAN !!!!! He was an IRISHMAN, he was a singer, a songwriter, a guitarist, hell, a multi-instramentalist. Rory Gallagher was one
of the most talented Blues Musicians in the history of recorded music !!! 'The Blues' doesn't have to be slow, sad songs sung to a lone acoustic guitar (even though
Rory did that better than anyone in the world between the years 1970 - 1994). Just because a song is sung and played at the top volume of amps on an electric guitar
doesn't mean it stops being'the blues' and is automatically called ROCK or Blues-Rock. T-Bone Walker and Muddy Waters were playing electric blues loud and fast for decades. Rory Gallagher, George Thorogood and God save us, the great Stevie Ray Vaughan played electric blues. Loud and fast and loose and dirty. Whether its got a blues shuffle, or a boogie beat or churning, burning, rockin and rollin back beat that is easy to dance to or make love to, it's the BLUES. Yes, Rory was so goddamned talented he could take a Celtic folk song or a country song or a rock song and make it his own, because he was a great Bluesman. He also grew up in Irish Showbands and that taught him alot about what an audience expects and should get from an honest musician. Rory exceeded those expectations every night. I can respect the fact that you may not like Rory's slow songs, or 'Out on the Western Plain' because it acoustic, or played slide on a National Steel guitar, and I've said on this very message board that 'Stagestruck' is my favorite Rory album. The loudest, fast Rory album there is (maybe until now, CD2 of NFSF is 9.5 out of 10) and it's my favorite electric blues album. I've been listening to Rory non-stop since 6/14/11 , I hope you know why, and songs like 'A Million Miles Away' and 'Should've Learned My Lesson' still stop me in my tracks and bring a tear to my eyes. 'The Blues is just a good man (or woman ) feeling bad.' 'Blues music is made for you to dance away your troubles' quotes possibly attributed to John Lee Hooker. If you ever had your heart broken, your car breaks down 3 days before payday, got fired from a job for no good reason, actually, these sound like Hank William's songs, maybe Hank was a blues man too...no, right emotion, wrong tone. Rory sang songs and played guitar in the tone of the blues. period.Okay, rant over.
brian_brady

Postby Micky » 18 Jun 2011, 06:13

I agree with what you say brian.

Rory ONLY ever played in a blues style i.e. songs, blues scales, blues structures, slide blues or bottleneck blues, blues/rock, Celtic blues etc etc...

ALL of what Rory ever played was 'blues' even any rock & roll numbers that he performed on stage like Chuck Berry's NADINE he played it in a blues/rock style, i don't recall him ever playing in a 'pure rock style' and i think i've heard most of his stuff even on bootlegs.

Take an album like TOP PRIORITY i've heard a few rock fan's (not on this forum) in the past describe that album as Heavy Metal?. It isn't it's a blues/rock album, ok it has several 'heavy' tracks on it but Rory plays the whole album in a blues/rock style NOT HEAVY METAL.
Micky

Postby Sinner Girl » 19 Jun 2011, 01:28

Micky wrote:I agree with what you say brian.

Rory ONLY ever played in a blues style i.e. songs, blues scales, blues structures, slide blues or bottleneck blues, blues/rock, Celtic blues etc etc...

ALL of what Rory ever played was 'blues' even any rock & roll numbers that he performed on stage like Chuck Berry's NADINE he played it in a blues/rock style, i don't recall him ever playing in a 'pure rock style' and i think i've heard most of his stuff even on bootlegs.

I listen blues over 4 years know, I must say that that Eric Burdon acquainted with the magic of the blues.I think that blues is a very complex concept, and those people who do not listen to blues impossible to understand, honestly every musician who plays the blues it must be understood, to feel the pain of blues, but I say why I like Eric as a musician, because all the emotions expressed by the voice, and Rory so masterfully performed with a guitar, especially when performed live songs with that hole energy what he give in concerts that is just fantastic. Most fascinating to me Rory is in its own way sang Leadbelly song ''Out On The Western Plain'', and ,Blind Boy Fuller (''Rag, Mama, Rag'' , ''Pistol Slapper Blues''), and especially love it ''Messin' With the Kid" (Junior Wells) in Rory interpretation, and lost of more, Rory for me is blues musician. I think that he passion on blues is most noticed in song '' WHAT IN THE WORLD''from BBC session so soulful , touching, pailful, sorrow, love i feel when I listen that song just pure magic.

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome