Thoughts On The Blues

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Thoughts On The Blues

Postby Micky » 19 Jun 2011, 13:16

ERIC BURDON?. I like those 3 or 4 late 1960s albums that Eric done with the NEW ANIMALS with numbers like SAN FRANCISCO NIGHTS & MONTEREY as well as other numbers from those albums also the first two WAR albums he did with the all black group WAR. ERIC BURDON DECLARES WAR & THE BLACK MAN'S BURDON both from 1970 they had a 'hit' with the single SPILL THE WINE.
Micky

Postby Sinner Girl » 19 Jun 2011, 18:33

Micky wrote:ERIC BURDON?. I like those 3 or 4 late 1960s albums that Eric done with the NEW ANIMALS with numbers like SAN FRANCISCO NIGHTS & MONTEREY as well as other numbers from those albums also the first two WAR albums he did with the all black group WAR. ERIC BURDON DECLARES WAR & THE BLACK MAN'S BURDON both from 1970 they had a 'hit' with the single SPILL THE WINE.

Yes Eric Burdon introduced me to the roots of blues. Eric's have many songs featuring blues greats such as John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Willy Dixon, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, and many more . The most famous collaboration is original The Animals with Sonny Boy Williamson with album('The Animals with Sonny Boy Williamson'. A live recording from 1963 ) album contains 18 songs, and my fave album with great blues legend Jimmy Witherspoon "Guilty" (later released as "Black & White Blues"). Eric played ofter broke up with New Animals with great funk band The War, and great album with influenced with blues of course is"Eric Burdon Declares War" from 1970's. Rory and Eric have a lot of common blues greats who influenced on their music.

Here are examples of songs:
Eric Burdon with Jimmy Witherspoon 1971

The Animals with Sonny Boy Williamson :

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Micky » 20 Jun 2011, 19:37

Yeah i like alot of Eric's material, i saw a dvd (i still have it) a few years ago where SAMMY HAGAR (USA solo artist as well as singing with VAN HALEN in the 1980s & 90s) of all people was claiming that ERIC BURDON was THE MAN!!.

In Sammy's words ''Eric was and is the REAL DEAL.''
Micky

Postby Drumolator » 08 Jul 2011, 19:21

The first blues song I became aware of was Hendrix's "Red House." My favorite statement about the blues is in the song "American Pie."

"I met a girl who sang the Blues
And I asked her for some happy news
And she just smiled and turned away."

I used to be in a blues band, and I am working on another one. Peace and goodwill.
Mark Wellman ><>
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Drumolator

Postby Micky » 08 Jul 2011, 19:38

Drumolator wrote:The first blues song I became aware of was Hendrix's "Red House."

I always preferred Jimi's other main stage 'blues' number -

HEAR MY TRAIN ACOMIN or sometimes known as GETTING MY HEART BACK TOGETHER it had more of a 'country blues' feel to it as appose to the Chicargo blues of RED HOUSE.

Although I like the Isle of Wight version of RED HOUSE that number was really cooking when he played it at that gig.
Micky

Postby DreDD » 17 Jul 2011, 23:11

Good topic, Diana.
DreDD

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome