3 Rory Gallagher (North American) re-issues due June 14

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

3 Rory Gallagher (North American) re-issues due June 14

Postby Sinner Girl » 15 Jun 2011, 15:10

Sterling Whitaker
Classic Hard Rock Examiner

On June 14, 2011 Eagle Rock Entertainment will re-issue three more albums from legendary guitarist Rory Gallagher. The latest re-issues are part of a continuing restoration project that aims to re-release all of the late musician's recordings and concert films. The project has the support of Gallagher's family.

The three latest additions to the project are Tattoo, Against the Grain and Calling Card. Tattoo was released in 1973 and featured Gallagher on guitar, mandolin, harmonica and saxophone. Tracks like "Tattoo’d Lady" and "A Million Miles Away" underscored the guitarist's compositional ability.

1975's self-produced Against the Grain was an amalgam of jazz, blues, hard rock and even country music, featuring varied originals and two seemingly unlikely covers. Gallagher performed Sam & Dave’s “I Take What I Want” in a rock arrangement, along with an acoustic Celtic-tinged version of Leadbelly’s “Out On The Western Plains.”

The third re-release is 1976's Calling Card, produced by Roger Glover of Deep Purple. Calling Card was the last album with the lineup of bassist Gerry McAvoy, keyboardist/accordionist Lou Martin, Rod de’Ath, drums, which had been constant since Tattoo. The album underlined a back-to-basics approach with its eleven tracks. "They all seemed very dedicated to Rory," Roger Glover said of the band members. "There was an allegiance, born of years of smoky clubs and endless journeys.”

According to a press release, "Rory was in prolific form during this period, these are 3 of 8 albums he produced within six years, during 1971-76. One can hear the maturation of a true artist over the course of these three albums. It would set the scene for the changes, the surprises and the drama of what would unfold in the years to come."

The original link: http://www.examiner.com/classic-hard-ro ... ue-june-14
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Re: Three more Rory Gallagher re-issues due June 14

Postby folkdeejay » 15 Jun 2011, 16:16

I'm confused.

i see the irish tour on blu-ray as an HD restoration, and so different to the earlier vhs/dvd version.

San Fransisco is obviously a new(old) release.

But these three albums have already been re-issued on cd with a new mix and with "bonus" tracks ......so exactly what is new here ( I already own 3 x LP's and 3 x CD's )

If Calling Card comes with the alt Elliot Mazer Version as a 2nd disc, I see a lot of merit in that - interesting to compare, and a "legacy" re-issue with good reason ( like the mono/stereo Pet Sounds CD )

Also, if these are the original ( as per vinyl) mixes transferred to CD, also worth a listen....but if these are just the "capo" remixes of about ten years ago....what is the point ????
However,
folkdeejay

Re: Three more Rory Gallagher re-issues due June 14

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Jun 2011, 19:41

folkdeejay wrote:I'm confused.

But these three albums have already been re-issued on cd with a new mix and with "bonus" tracks ......so exactly what is new here ( I already own 3 x LP's and 3 x CD's )

If Calling Card comes with the alt Elliot Mazer Version as a 2nd disc, I see a lot of merit in that - interesting to compare, and a "legacy" re-issue with good reason ( like the mono/stereo Pet Sounds CD )

Also, if these are the original ( as per vinyl) mixes transferred to CD, also worth a listen....but if these are just the "capo" remixes of about ten years ago....what is the point ????
However,

Daniel Gallagher

I saw that people are asking about the Eagle re-issed cds, I thought I mentioned it before but maybe I planned to and forgot ..
Eagle are releasing these in "North America ONLY", as many of the Rory albums haven't been available in the States. Eagle are releasing the re-issue cds so that Rory's music is available to fans and prospective fans in physical format in US music shops where he hasn't been present for years.

All the best,

Daniel
Jay Jay

Re: 3 Rory Gallagher (North American) re-issues due June 14

Postby Doug » 15 Jun 2011, 23:13

The reissues weren't available in the US when first released? News to me; I had no problem getting them. Maybe I ordered them online from Europe?
Doug

Postby innuendo » 15 Jun 2011, 23:21

yes i remember that donal and daniel said that some time ago-this is the same mix as 1999 releases, it's just for north american market so it's nothing new for everyone who has those albums on cd. jay jay i'm only interested in artowkg gonna be the same? and is there gonna be new booklet and liner notes? i'm asking that cos that calling card album cover is something i've never seen before
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Sinner Girl » 15 Jun 2011, 23:25

This the cover of the album Against the Grain

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby innuendo » 16 Jun 2011, 11:06

some people will probably buy it just because of the new cover
and some people won't be happy cos there's not original artwork
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Johnbox73 » 17 Jun 2011, 09:54

OMG! If those are the new covers, whoever approved them needs their head adjusting (to put it mildly!).
I've worked in the advertising & design industry now for over 20 years, and they look like something somebody
put together on the PC in their bedroom. PLease tell me they are not the new covers!!!

John W
Johnbox73

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome