RORY GALLAGHER is FOREVER! (16th Anniversary)

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: RORY GALLAGHER is FOREVER! (16th Anniversary)

Postby Sinner Girl » 15 Jun 2011, 21:39

JimLED wrote:You can't believe me Milka...
Yesterday when I saw the topic RIP Rory... I thought it's something like de javu... I thought Rory Blue day for the blues was at June, 04.....my memory is not my friend.. :(

No problem Jim, like said before I have eye for this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby diana » 16 Jun 2011, 06:13

Ever since I found out they played Million Miles Away at his funeral, I've had second thoughts about ever performing it - it's too much. I'd get too emotional and stuff it up.. But then I read that the priest singing the hymn was off-key and made everyone laugh, which gives you some perspective. Every so often I catch myself feeling very morose about the fact that he's gone - like, really morose - and angry that I wasn't born earlier and that I never got to see him live or talk to him, and just the incredible bad luck of all that, but ultimately his legacy is huge. A major aspect of it for me is the imperative to resist selling out. He stood for honest music and that needs to be encouraged at all costs. RIP.
Music is the best.
diana

Postby Micky » 16 Jun 2011, 06:48

diana wrote:Ever since I found out they played Million Miles Away at his funeral, I've had second thoughts about ever performing it - it's too much. I'd get too emotional and stuff it up.. But then I read that the priest singing the hymn was off-key and made everyone laugh, which gives you some perspective. Every so often I catch myself feeling very morose about the fact that he's gone - like, really morose - and angry that I wasn't born earlier and that I never got to see him live or talk to him, and just the incredible bad luck of all that, but ultimately his legacy is huge. A major aspect of it for me is the imperative to resist selling out. He stood for honest music and that needs to be encouraged at all costs. RIP.

I'm probably going to upset several people on this forum (not intentionally) but i never really liked A MILLION MILES AWAY that much it sounded a bit to sentimental to my ears and in some ways it's a very un-Rory Gallagher song?. I can see why lots of Gallagher fan's like the song but it's not one of my favourites give me something like SHADOW PLAY, TATTOO'D LADY or PHILBY anytime over A MILLION MILES AWAY.

A MILLION MILES AWAY is Rory's WONDERFUL TONIGHT the Eric Clapton song which is also over-sentimental.
Micky

Postby innuendo » 16 Jun 2011, 11:02

diana wrote:Ever since I found out they played Million Miles Away at his funeral, I've had second thoughts about ever performing it - it's too much. I'd get too emotional and stuff it up.. But then I read that the priest singing the hymn was off-key and made everyone laugh, which gives you some perspective. Every so often I catch myself feeling very morose about the fact that he's gone - like, really morose - and angry that I wasn't born earlier and that I never got to see him live or talk to him, and just the incredible bad luck of all that, but ultimately his legacy is huge. A major aspect of it for me is the imperative to resist selling out. He stood for honest music and that needs to be encouraged at all costs. RIP.

nicely said diana
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby JimLED » 16 Jun 2011, 16:10

Your posts are amazing, Diana. Warm welcome to the forum! :)

Micky wrote:
but i never really liked A MILLION MILES AWAY that much it sounded a bit to sentimental to my ears and in some ways it's a very un-Rory Gallagher song?. I can see why lots of Gallagher fan's like the song but it's not one of my favourites give me something like SHADOW PLAY, TATTOO'D LADY or PHILBY anytime over A MILLION MILES AWAY.

A MILLION MILES AWAY is Rory's WONDERFUL TONIGHT the Eric Clapton song which is also over-sentimental.

Well... I'll try to describe what AMMA is to me.
AMMA is a higher level of Rory poetry and his music. You need to open your soul wide and to be free as a bird to get the chance to feel every bit of this song. All Rory music touching me, touching my soul but this one...is really special. And everytime when I'm listening A Million Miles Away again and again I have a one bit more of understanding what Rory wished us about feeling his music.

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Dwana Horner » 16 Jun 2011, 17:42

16 years you've been gone..I sit here gathering my thoughts . I have so many fond memories of you Rory...endless. In most cases , we had our conversations just the two of us..backstage at the Cleveland Agora. I remember every word, smile..I sometimes can still "feel" your hug when you first met me all so long ago.

There were things I wished I had said to you but I was awe struck just being in your presance. I used to have this annoying stammer that "Froze" up my throat and nothing would come out..as if I had the "mumps".. good lord..so many missed oppertunities. I had to be licquered up to calm myself down. I had to think of something to say to you in preparation..a good question that would keep the converstion going because If I didn't have a good question you wouldn't say anything. (I had no idea how shy you were when we first met) I always assumed you were tired from playing a couple hours before..dummy me...lol!

I had no clue as to why you were so quiet backstage and such a "Fireball" on stage with that guitar of yours..well Rory, just wanted to let you know I appreciate your kindness towards me, sweet gentle soul with the quite voice..never saw you angry or even heard a bad word pass through those lips of yours. A truely a good person. I could trust one thing about you, that you would never hurt me. I always felt safe to be alone with you..that was a rare commodity at the Cleveland Agora when I think of the guys who came there for the music, booze and girls for the asking..not in the case with you Rory. When I first walked backstage that faithful night..first thing in my head.."Where are the groupies?" I want to think you Rory for the warm glow you left behing in my heart..god wanted me to meet a truely good decent man.

Rory, you were a "Gift" to us all.. I thank you for the music, the concerts, I wanted you to know, you were and still is appreciated. I'm going to end this now..I had to think of what to say, find the right words ..I thought about this a few days ago..this was the perfect time.

I love you Rory..just wished I said this to you when you were still here to hear it.

(I'm glad I saw this before posting my own thread. I put this on my facebook page in "Notes")
Dwana Horner

Postby Micky » 17 Jun 2011, 06:39

Believe it or not i was actually thinking about Rory on the day before he died back in June 1995. I remember singing (to myself) his 'blues song' SHOULD'VE OF LEARNT MY LESSON (off of Deuce) it was going around and around in my head for much of that Tuesday.

In one of Rory's many obituaries published on the Thursday of the same week that he died (I think it was in the Guardian?) it said something to the effect of -''Rory Gallagher who has died age 47 maybe on the minds of many people this morning (Thursday) BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE THINKING OF HIM ON TUESDAY MORNING?.''

I WAS ME!.
Micky

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jun 2011, 10:22

Micky wrote:In one of Rory's many obituaries published on the Thursday of the same week that he died (I think it was in the Guardian?) it said something to the effect of -''Rory Gallagher who has died age 47 maybe on the minds of many people this morning (Thursday) BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE THINKING OF HIM ON TUESDAY MORNING?.''

I WAS ME!.

Hi Micky,
I don't think there has been a day gone by that I haven't thought or played a Rory song since 11. 12. 1972, when I first saw and heard Rory Gallagher Live :)
That obituary was in the Times the day after I believe. I have that clipping still plus others. Like this one in my local newspaper the Express & Star too the day after, with a picture..

Rock Star Rory Dies at 47
Irish rock guitarist Rory Gallagher, regarded as one of the world's leading white blues musicians, has died in a London hospital, aged 47. Born in Ballyshannon Co Donegal, Gallagher sold over 15 million records, over a career lasting 30 years and was seen as the first of Ireland's superstars.
He died yesterday at Kings College Hospital, where he underwent a liver transplant operation earlier this year. Gallagher formed the group Taste and later pursued a solo career.
Bono, leader of Ireland's U2 rock group. today described Rory as one of the top ten guitarist of all time.
Jay Jay

Postby Micky » 17 Jun 2011, 10:32

I thought Jeff Beck's statement that he issued after Rory died sounded a bit 'snotty' in my opinion.

Jeff's statement went something like - ''We were NOT mates but i respected his talents as a guitarist.'' and that was about it.
Micky

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jun 2011, 10:40

That was a bit spooky or coincidence hey.. Rock Star Rory Dies at 47 .. and if you noticed it was on the 47 reply here :(
Jay Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome