RORY GALLAGHER ~ Should he have kept the first TASTE?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

RORY GALLAGHER ~ Should he have kept the first TASTE?

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jun 2011, 23:24

I think Rory should have spoken up when he was asked to change the MK1 Taste lineup of Eric Kitteringham and Norman Damery.
Listen to this 1968 BBC recording of young Rory with "The Taste" and tell me what you think. Also with what happened later with Richard McCracken and John Wilson walking out on him. In hindsight I bet after he wished he would have kept the original lineup hey?

Thanks Jim ok ;)
Jay Jay

Re: RORY GALLAGHER ~ Should he have kept the first TASTE?

Postby the mac » 10 Jun 2011, 10:45

you should get a hold of the new ed of 'guitar and bass' magazine as it has a good feature on Rory and Taste. It might shed a bit of new light on the whole Taste era.
the mac

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Jun 2011, 10:55

Hi the mac, will do yeah but ..
What is your opinion on this question. Was this MK1 TASTE good enough for Rory to have kept Eric and Norman with him??
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 10 Jun 2011, 11:02

Thank you Jay Jay for the clip!
Now I recognized that I have these records in my collection. But I never thought it was first Taste!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Jun 2011, 11:20

Yes Jim,
You can more or less say ... TASTE MK1 or The Taste 1966 ~ 1968 (Eric and Norman) ... TASTE MK2 1968 ~ 1970 (Richard and John)
Jay Jay

Postby the mac » 10 Jun 2011, 16:04

Jay Jay - MK 1 certainly sounded good to me although I prefered John Wilson's drumming. Here is an interesting quote by Eric K from that article i mentioned in 'Guitar and Bass'; ''I had no illusions about my own playing. John was a fantastic drumer and Charlie was a magnificent bass player, a lot better then i was. I think the second version of Taste was probably the best band that Rory ever played with, but Kennedy caused them so many problems''. He goes on to say that he was going to jack it in anyway before he got fired coz both him and Norman were fed up of it all by then. It seems both Rory and Taste MK 1 & 2 were screwed by management.
the mac

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Jun 2011, 18:52

the mac wrote:Jay Jay - It seems both Rory and Taste MK 1 & 2 were screwed by management.

Hey the Mac, you've nailed It there in that one sentence, so true and a shame for all concerned with TASTE..

One Guy Mr Eddie Kennedy SCREWED IT UP for RORY GALLAGHER and for all the other members / musicians of TASTE :( :( :( :( :(
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 11 Jun 2011, 06:05

i didn't know taste mk1 has something professionally recorded like this stuff from bbc. is there any more soundboard recording from taste mk1? they sound great although taste mk2 recorded both albums and i'm more familiar with them. i think bad experience with taste management made rory so stubborn regarding management and all business decisions (like declining the last waltz, throwing almost finished albums...). he just wanted to be his own man and his musical integrity was very important to him
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Jun 2011, 09:54

innuendo wrote:i didn't know taste mk1 has something professionally recorded like this stuff from bbc. is there any more soundboard recording from taste mk1?

Hi Kruno,

Yes, there is the album "In The Beginning" An Early Taste of Rory Gallagher aka "Take it Easy Baby" recorded at the time when TASTE M1 used to play at the Maritime Club in 1967
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 12 Jun 2011, 12:20

Jay Jay wrote:
innuendo wrote:i didn't know taste mk1 has something professionally recorded like this stuff from bbc. is there any more soundboard recording from taste mk1?

Hi Kruno,

Yes, there is the album "In The Beginning" An Early Taste of Rory Gallagher aka "Take it Easy Baby" recorded at the time when TASTE M1 used to play at the Maritime Club in 1967

i have that, i didn't know that was mk1, thanks for the info
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome