Would "Notes from SF have made Rory a US Star ? ( Yes, imo )

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Would "Notes from SF have made Rory a US Star ? ( Yes, imo )

Postby folkdeejay » 05 Jun 2011, 13:01

Having listened to N f SF several times, I really like it.

Some of rory's best studio playing I think - such shame he was so headstrong. I regret it not being released.

With the kind of label backing the sleeve notes describe as being offered, I think there is every chance Rory would have stepped up a gear ( in terms of album & ticket sales - already there as a player, obviously )

In 78 clapton was touring Slowhand - the "feel" of this album is easily comparable to me - better, in fact.

Fuel to the Fire, in this version, could easily have been a US radio hit. Same for wheels w wheels.

Rory was already subbing for the likes of Fleetwood Mac - perhaps a lost chance to become a Santana type name around the world ??

Superb job on the Ltd Edtn packing too.

Eliot M mentions he also remixed Calling Card before that album came out - on the back of this, any chance of that version ever coming out ?? Rory may not have liked it then, but as with "Notes", perhaps he was just too close to the project to stand back and see it for the superb work it is.

All history now, but it seems that what Rory needed ( with all due respect to Donal ) was a manager like Jon Landua (Springsteen), Peter Blake (Led Zep) ....someone who could have told Rory what was good business sense, whilst retaining artistic integrity.

Not releasing this album seems such a mistake - just like not playing as a guest at The Band's The Last Waltz gig in favour of a college gig a few miles away - how many of Rory's fans at that gig that night would not rather he had played on the ( recorded, much praised) Last Waltz, exposing him to loads more music fans. Yet he stubbornly went to the little college gig. Honouring commitments is fine, and seems typical of his spirit, but turning down a golden opportunity to play with your peers ( and the L W line up would consider rory a peer) to a worldwide audience was just wrong.
folkdeejay

Re: Would "Notes from SF have made Rory a US Star ? ( Yes, i

Postby Shin Kicker » 05 Jun 2011, 21:07

I don't know if the label backing for Notes from SF would have been stronger than it was for Photofinish, but I believe the label backing for Photofinish was quite strong in the US. The US publicity and marketing for Photofinish (and Top Priority) was miles beyond any of his previous albums. Unlike his preceding albums, many record stores had Photofinish posters and stand ups. I agree about Slowhand, but I believe the more modern sound of Photofinish was far more likely to be a big seller in the US than the vintage sound of Notes from SF in the late 1970's. That was a time of a heavier sound in rock albums (Van Halen, Scorpions, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, Journey) than when Blueprint and Tattoo came out.

Completely agree with the management comment. With Peter Grant guiding his career, he would have found a larger audience. Or for that matter, if Rory had entrusted Donal with more of his career guidance. But, after his Taste experience, he obviously would never have agreed to such an arrangement.
Shin Kicker

Postby folkdeejay » 06 Jun 2011, 16:02

Just had a quick look - and aside from Punk, which wasn't really the same genre, also touring / released that year in the bluesy/rock style ;

Slowhand - Clapton.

5 - JJ Cale

Long Run - Eagles

Running on Empty - Jackson Browne

NfSF is easily on a par with all these - and I feel would have got Rory such a boost in profile - maybe even bagging a Rumours Tour slot with Fleetwood mac - it came out early in 78 - they had history, and it would have been a fine blend - imagaine Rory touring the world opening for Rumours.... household name by 1980.

Oh well, maybe it just wasn't meant to be
folkdeejay

Postby Simone67 » 06 Jun 2011, 20:02

..sorry if this seems a bit off hand,but I think RORY was good enough to just open up for RORY !!! (who are Rumours?)-.......
Even though I can see where you are coming from...it just was not what Rory wanted ! He did not want that superstardom stuff,he just didn`t feel right about it even if the whole world still does not and probably never will seem to understand this ?! And lets face it`if Rory had sold himself out and made himself and his music so accessible to everyone and everything he would never have been so close to people which is part of what we feel so good about,appreciate so much and love him for,so much ! Rory was NOT like everyone else and chose not to go about things the way that everyone else did,and in my opinion that is good !! It is part of his uniqueness.
I do agree with you though on Peter Grant having been a smashin`choice ,...had he trusted anyone enough ! ;)
Simone67

Postby folkdeejay » 06 Jun 2011, 22:09

i don't mean that Rory would become a "celeb" - just that his tours and albums would/could/should have atracted more people - in the US he was bit trapped on the college circuit 9 albeit he was happy there, apparently - although his later "odd" behavious maybe suggest otherwise.

There are several artists ( Neil Young, James Taylor, J C mellancamp ) who remained true to their "muse" whilst being higher profile.

I am so impressed by San Fransisco as an album, I just regret it wasn't what Rory wanted at the time.

Oh, and Rumours was an LP by Fleetwood Mac, and was a HUGE world tour
folkdeejay

Postby Simone67 » 07 Jun 2011, 11:05

...oh,of course !! ( Ihave the album!)... I thought you were talking about a Band .
Simone67

Postby Leedelta » 08 Jun 2011, 10:33

Rory shot down Peter Grant after Taste.
i get the feeling if SF (Torch) was released Rory may have turned his back on it (like Peter Green).

i love the album but you can hear Rory trying new ideas more suited to a trio plus Lou
is not as prominent (save the last 2 tracks).
Leedelta

Postby folkdeejay » 08 Jun 2011, 13:10

I don't agree - the recording is very layered, lots of multitracking - not at all typical of a trio ( like RG and Deuce, for example )

Lou is there in most tracks, not just the last 2 ?? WHat about the rolling piano intro ( and full arrangement ) of track 1?? ....He is there to a smilar degree ( if not more) than Tattoo & Blueprpint .

It's academic now anyway - I was just speculating on what were, imo, bad decisions at the time - non more so than turning down a slot on The Last Waltz..... that was bonkers.
folkdeejay

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Jun 2011, 13:39

folkdeejay wrote:Not releasing this album seems such a mistake - just like not playing as a guest at The Band's The Last Waltz gig in favour of a college gig a few miles away - how many of Rory's fans at that gig that night would not rather he had played on the ( recorded, much praised) Last Waltz, exposing him to loads more music fans. Yet he stubbornly went to the little college gig. Honouring commitments is fine, and seems typical

Hi Folkdeejay,

Don't agree at all about the release of the album in 1977. But I partly agree about with you what you say about his business gig commitments ..
I heard even Rory gave up a chance to play at Woodstock. Preferring to go and play at a small town gig with Taste :?

Rory Gallagher would be IMHO a household name now, if he would have played at the Woodstock Festival.

Rock on for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby mike6262 » 02 Oct 2011, 16:50

Absolutely Jay Jay!! Most every artist at Woodstock got huge publicity and most still do to this day. Look at Hendrix, his performance at Woodstock at best was below average and it is considered legendary. Even Hendrix knew he/band performed poorly. Imagine if Rory performed even an average set at Woodstock!!! He would have been a household name, easily. And we all know Rory probably would have turned in a better than average set!!
Good point Jay Jay!
mike6262

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome