Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Postby diana » 30 May 2011, 18:32

Hi all, I'm a re-fan, if you like.. I first heard Taste as a 15 year old but preferred Hendrix at the time. A few months ago I saw the Ghost Blues film and Rory blew my head off in the most spectacular fashion. Since then I've returned to guitar playing and recording in a very dedicated way (I've played on and off over the years). I think the instinct for the blues that Rory had is very rare; the sense of rhythm and texture he had, and the beautiful lyricism of his leads. And then his totally uncompromising attitude to doing his own thing musically - that is utterly inspiring. He encourages me to be even more stubborn when it comes to sticking to your ideals, and resisting the temptation to sell out.

I'd love to meet blues players who live in Melbourne. I'm not an accomplished player but I'm sure as hell enthusiastic. I've got some music on youtube at BullshitExtravaganza (blame Zappa).

Lovely to meet all you Rory fans here!

-Diana
diana

Re: Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Jay Jay » 30 May 2011, 20:27

Hi Diana, a very warm welcome to Roryland.

Good lucky with your guitar playing/ career.
Best wishes, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Leedelta » 30 May 2011, 22:48

Hi Diana,

There is a Blues Jam every Tuesday in

The Royal Standard on William St in West melbourne

http://www.mbas.org.au/

I usually sit in and play a few tunes (Messing with the Kid goes down well)

There is another jam on sundays in the RSL in Elwood.
Leedelta

Postby innuendo » 31 May 2011, 21:53

diana wrote:Hi all, I'm a re-fan, if you like.. I first heard Taste as a 15 year old but preferred Hendrix at the time. A few months ago I saw the Ghost Blues film and Rory blew my head off in the most spectacular fashion. Since then I've returned to guitar playing and recording in a very dedicated way (I've played on and off over the years). I think the instinct for the blues that Rory had is very rare; the sense of rhythm and texture he had, and the beautiful lyricism of his leads. And then his totally uncompromising attitude to doing his own thing musically - that is utterly inspiring. He encourages me to be even more stubborn when it comes to sticking to your ideals, and resisting the temptation to sell out.

I'd love to meet blues players who live in Melbourne. I'm not an accomplished player but I'm sure as hell enthusiastic. I've got some music on youtube at BullshitExtravaganza (blame Zappa).

Lovely to meet all you Rory fans here!

-Diana

welcome to the forum diana. it's good to hear that ghost blues got you back into rory. it was probably the beat club sessions dvd that blew your head off
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby diana » 13 Jun 2011, 05:12

Thanks Leedelta, I think I'll come along tomorrow night (Tues 14th).
What time does it start? And do people play songs individually as well as jam? I have a couple of songs I can do; I'm not really an accomplished improviser as yet.

Thanks innuendo, yes the Beat Club Sessions are flipping phenomenal. But other than the insane music, it was the whole character of the man that got me. It's so ridiculously rare to find someone who is as musically gifted and humble and uncompromising, at the same time.

Cheers,
Diana
diana

Postby innuendo » 14 Jun 2011, 09:12

diana i hope we'll see you write more on the forum. love your avatar, you look a bit like angelina jolie in her best days
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Leedelta » 14 Jun 2011, 10:04

diana wrote:Thanks Leedelta, I think I'll come along tomorrow night (Tues 14th).
What time does it start? And do people play songs individually as well as jam? I have a couple of songs I can do; I'm not really an accomplished improviser as yet.

Thanks innuendo, yes the Beat Club Sessions are flipping phenomenal. But other than the insane music, it was the whole character of the man that got me. It's so ridiculously rare to find someone who is as musically gifted and humble and uncompromising, at the same time.

Cheers,
Diana

Hi,

9pm, I was gonna go a tribute set tonight but I got tickets to the Middle East in The Corner tonight. So I will do it next week, (I will be the Irish guy singing and playing a Strat).

Usually it is a 3 song set (about 15-20min).

There is a band from 8-9pm and its free..
Leedelta

Postby diana » 14 Jun 2011, 18:13

Hi Leedelta,

That's smashing, I'll come down next week. I went tonight and a guy there said I could do a solo thing. I'd like to do it for the practice; I'm probably not good enough to actually jam yet.

-Diana
Music is the best.
diana

Postby Sinner Girl » 14 Jun 2011, 18:31

Very welcome on forum diana, great avatar pic
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Leedelta » 14 Jun 2011, 22:34

diana wrote:Hi Leedelta,

That's smashing, I'll come down next week. I went tonight and a guy there said I could do a solo thing. I'd like to do it for the practice; I'm probably not good enough to actually jam yet.

-Diana

That's great Diana, see you next week.
Leedelta

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome