RORY GALLAGHER ~ HIS UNIQUENESS

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: RORY GALLAGHER ~ HIS UNIQUENESS

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Feb 2011, 13:38

Tim23 wrote:Ronnie Drew of the Dubliners summed it up perfectly with his quote in Fin Costellos book.
"He didn't have the over confidence that the mediocre have. He had the quiet way that the great have, and he was that."
Sums it up perfectly eh!!!
TIM

Hi Tim, thanks for posting this quote from Ronnie :)

There is an important word Ronnie said also though, that is missing from that quote, to add ..
"Rory was genuinely unassuming .. He didn't have the over confidence that the mediocre have"..
" He had the quiet "unassuming" way that the great have, and he was one of the greats" :)

I've just played the quote back from "Gallagher's Blues - A Requiem for Rory" a documentary from UTV Productions
Jay Jay

Postby Reid » 03 Feb 2011, 04:50

He looked like the guy you might see putting a roof on someone's house, unloading trucks at the warehouse or working on his car on the weekend. He was one of us. But with a little something extra. Just my impression.
Reid

Postby asdesas » 03 Feb 2011, 06:05

Reid wrote:He looked like the guy you might see putting a roof on someone's house, unloading trucks at the warehouse or working on his car on the weekend. He was one of us. But with a little something extra. Just my impression.

Hear hear. I've said it to many friends over the years as I've gone on about my Rory obsession-- he was The People's Star. 100% real.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Simone67 » 03 Feb 2011, 13:53

...He was a true "all round man" ! He was so incredibly versatile ...flashing everyone...every day in another place around the world
...He was a musical magician. He practised MAGIC !!
Simone67

Postby Reid » 03 Feb 2011, 20:29

Jay Jay Joy wrote:Hi Jim,
Yes but what was also so unique about his stratocaster?

early taste of rory.jpg

It seems to me that Rory's Strat was more a craftsman's tool that a fine musical instrument. Take a good look at it. Like a fine hand tool it was once shiny and new. As the craftsman uses his tool to perform his art the tool takes on that well used appearance that says a skilled hand has used this time and again to create something worthwhile. And as the tool ages with continued use the skill of its user grows as does the body of work that it and its user have created. Rory could have chosen any guitar he wanted. He could have had a truck load of Strats. A different one for every day of the week if he wanted. But he chose this one to use again and again to do his work. Worn by his hands and the music he and his Strat created. Steve Via once said that certain guitars resonated with him. Two seemingly identical instruments can sound different. Perhaps to Rory this one just felt right or sounded right. That is something only he would truly know. Just my personal ramblings.
Reid

Postby Simone67 » 04 Feb 2011, 08:50

..yes,nicely put ! -But also Rory swore that , when the Strat had been recaptivated after that nerve wrecking theft from the tour van,he would not ever paint it or part with it again !!
Rory stuck by his word !
Simone67

Postby Reid » 05 Feb 2011, 03:31

Simone67 wrote:..yes,nicely put ! -But also Rory swore that , when the Strat had been recaptivated after that nerve wrecking theft from the tour van,he would not ever paint it or part with it again !!
Rory stuck by his word !

Thanks Simone! This is a story I didn't know. It was obvious that it was far more to him than just a guitar.
Reid

Postby Val » 07 Feb 2011, 21:44

Jay Jay Joy wrote:
Jay Jay Joy wrote:Hi Jim,
Yes but what was also so unique about his stratocaster?

early taste of rory.jpg

Or any other Rory fan out there, can you answer this question?

The only thing that was unique about the strat was that it was played by Rory Gallagher.

Good thread with some great comments - I particularly liked Jimled's comment about 'soul exchange'.

It's hard to put into words what was unique about Rory. Perhaps that there was something very 'giving' about Rory which comes through in his music. He put his whole heart and soul into it in a way that touches something in the hearts and souls of anyone who listens to it. And he was a nice no-nonsense down-to-earth sort of person.
Val

Postby axle396 » 08 Feb 2011, 20:31

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but, over the years Rory played his strat, he literally soaked it with his blood sweat and tears. Rory's blood type which was said to be rare produced sweat which was extremely acidic and contributed to the wearing down of the guitars finish. anyone who has seen Rory perform will attest to his workrate and how profusely he sweated. He was literally a part of that guitar as much as it was part of him. He lives in it still.

My all time favourite guitar player.

Jimmy
axle396

Postby suedanor » 08 Feb 2011, 21:21

axle396 wrote:Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but, over the years Rory played his strat, he literally soaked it with his blood sweat and tears. Rory's blood type which was said to be rare produced sweat which was extremely acidic and contributed to the wearing down of the guitars finish. anyone who has seen Rory perform will attest to his workrate and how profusely he sweated. He was literally a part of that guitar as much as it was part of him. He lives in it still.

My all time favourite guitar player.

Jimmy

Very nicely put Jimmy!
sue
suedanor

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome