RORY FEST ~ Ballyshannon + Programme Of Events 2017

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

RORY FEST ~ Ballyshannon + Programme Of Events 2017

Postby willie the pimp » 21 Oct 2016, 22:10

So we've decided to go to next year's Rory festival from here in Tasmania.
Anybody have any tips, accom recommendations, must-dos etc?
willie the pimp

Re: RORY FEST ~ Ballyshannon 2017

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Oct 2016, 22:42

willie the pimp wrote:So we've decided to go to next year's Rory festival from here in Tasmania.
Anybody have any tips, accom recommendations, must-dos etc?

Hi Willie,

Book before Christmas for a slight chance of getting accommodation in Ballyshannon (Dorrians Hotel). Otherwise your next best bet is Bundoran 2 miles away down the Atlantic coast line. They do lay on a free shuttle bus to the Rory fest from there ;)

I've been every year to the Rory Fest Ballyshannon. I ask the landlord & landlady @ The Elmbrook B&B the first year I visit The festival, to reserve my room for the next 30 years. That's if I live that long. It's in East Port Road, the street where Rory had his first home and close to where he was born :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: Ballyshannon 2017

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Oct 2016, 01:56

:cry: :cry: Too late- Dorrian's is booked- I just checked their site, and there is no room at the inn. :cry: :cry: :cry:
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 22 Oct 2016, 08:47

I just booked my accommodation in Ballyshannon in a new hotel. It's called the Creevy Pier Hotel. The last time I looked they had one double room left, but there were people already looking at it. I got it on booking.com. It's looks quite posh actually but the price for bed including breakfast was quite reasonable to me. I actually quite like my comfort. You won't catch me camping out,lol. Now I have to arrange my travel. That's going to be quite complicated since I want to combine it with a trip to Cork for that music festival. Let's see.
ailish78

Postby willie the pimp » 23 Oct 2016, 03:36

Creevy Hotel looks good, and also the nearest available from what I can see, only about 5km so walkable after a few beers! And we tried Elm Brook, having stayed there a couple of years ago (not at festival time), but too late this time.
willie the pimp

Postby ailish78 » 23 Oct 2016, 07:49

It says on booking.com that the Creevy Pier Hotel is in the centre, but it's not! 5Km is not far to walk at all, but late at night and on my own, not sure if that's safe. Still, I'm sure there will be plenty of other people walking and surely there's a bus. Just have to wait and see.
ailish78

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Oct 2016, 13:28

ailish78 wrote:It says on booking.com that the Creevy Pier Hotel is in the centre,
Jay Jay wrote:Otherwise your next best bet is Bundoran 2 miles away down the Atlantic coast line. They do lay on a free shuttle bus to the Rory fest from there

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cre ... d-8.255034
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dor ... -8.1902234
The only hotel really in the centre of Ballyshannon is Dorrians. As I said in my previous post Bundoran or Bundoran Rd is next best with plenty of B&B's on road out south west of Ballyshannon. Mainly built up along this Atlantic coastline road. Rory Fest Official Campsite is on this road also, with regular shuttle bus. Out to Creevy and north to Donegal the road is less built up, with just at times the odd cottage.
A few Rory fans I know stay in the beautiful beach bay of Rossnawlagh around 3 miles northwest of Ballyshannon. They usually have transport though ;)
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.ht ... y;sshis=0&
Jay Jay

Postby willie the pimp » 23 Oct 2016, 19:16

Thanks all for your accom advice. I think Creevy Pier is it!

ailish78 wrote: That's going to be quite complicated since I want to combine it with a trip to Cork for that music festival. Let's see.

Which festival is that?
willie the pimp

Postby SUBY1974 » 23 Oct 2016, 20:44

We stayed at The Grand Central in 2013 in Bundoran. It is adequate and very 30s style. Its near the beach and we loved our walks on that beach. Rory did visit Bundoran.
Reception is very helpful and there is a regular special bus service that takes you into Ballyshannon for the Rory Festival. It takes 10 - 15 mins.
We will stay at the Grand Central again someday. The price is reasonable IMO. There are regular bus services that take you into Sligo. The hotel reception has has timetables to hand.
Everyone was just lovely both in Bundoran, Ballyshannon and Cork.
Also the Grand Central has a lovely bar with a pub feel. I love pubs ( though I don't drink :mrgreen: ). Harrow in the UK is filled with pubs. So that must be it. The pub serves good food and I loved the stain glass windows showing Celtic scenes like Boudicca.
There are lovely artworks around town and I believe a play area for kids. It would be a great place just to take family and children. There are lots of holiday homes here.
The scenery is amazing. Hills full of daises and there is a hotel on the headland that could be a perfect setting for an Agatha Cristie novel
Great place for birdwatchers as well.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en ... wodjwkBZg&
SUBY1974

Re: RORY FEST ~ Ballyshannon 2017

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Oct 2016, 21:19

willie the pimp wrote:Thanks all for your accom advice. I think Creevy Pier is it!

ailish78 wrote: That's going to be quite complicated since I want to combine it with a trip to Cork for that music festival. Let's see.

Which festival is that?

The week following the Rory Festival in Ballyshannon is followed by Cork Rocks for Rory. I really think the city of Cork should be at least as supportive of those efforts as Ballyshannon. I was lucky enough to attend both in 2015, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. Rory was born in Ballyshannon, but his formative years were arguably in Cork, and evidence of the people there who remember and honor him are evident all through the city.

Ballyshannon is more like a village-wide block party honoring Rory.

But in Cork you can visit the places where Rory formed Taste, where he bought his famous Strat, and where he was laid to rest. We were lucky to stay at an apartment in Cork that was once part of a hospital where Rory performed before he became famous. (reference the Mark McAvoy book).
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Rory Tributes ~ Rory Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs