The 21st Annual British Rory Gallagher Tribute 2016

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

The 21st Annual British Rory Gallagher Tribute 2016

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Oct 2016, 09:31

The 21st Annual British Rory Gallagher Tribute Manchester UK 2016

The Annual British RG Tribute.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: The 21st Annual British Rory Gallagher Tribute

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Oct 2016, 09:32

TODAY starting 4pm :) ;) :)

ROCK ON FOR RORY !!!!!!
Jay Jay

Re: The 21st Annual British Rory Gallagher Tribute

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Oct 2016, 14:57

What a great celebration of RORY GALLAGHER'S music this was at the Ruby Lounge in Manchester on Saturday. Fans and musicians came from all over the world to honour and enjoy our hero's fabulous music.
Barry Barnes (Sinnerboy) deserves a medal for his efforts over the 21 years. For keeping this RG British Tribute the longest running to RORY in the world.

When it first began in 1996..

Barry "I booked a famous old Manchester Cabaret pub 'The Pomona' and press ganged some local musician pals to come along and play some Rory tunes. I put £2 on the door, an announcement in the Manchester Evening News and hoped enough people would come so that I covered the expenses, but by 9.PM there were people looking and listening in through the windows as it was too packed for them to get inside. I went out to apologise to them but all they could do was thank me through their tears - they all thought they were the only ones that remembered too and were so happy to meet like-minded others - friendships were forged that day that have never wavered.

The next morning I was, I admit nursing a hangover when my late wife Denise dragged me out of bed to listen to an answer message on the telephone, it said "Hello my name is Donal Gallagher" Now any fan can get to talk to the affable Donal nowadays, a warm and generous man.
You can find him at most tributes holding court and never tiring of chatting to his brother's fans but back then - Rory's brother was on the phone!!! It was amazing, I nervously called him back when he thanked and congratulated me for my efforts. The part of the conversation I remember the most was after I'd finished telling him how successful the gig was and that we'd got over a hundred people there, I said how trivial that must seem to him after the 'Big Time' with his brother, Donal would have none of it insisting it was very touching and Rory would have loved it, It was the first time I'd heard that Rory used to say the best audiences were when he could 'See the whites of their eyes "

20 years later..

Saturday late afternoon Aiden Pryor Band started the celebration, stepping in at last minute for Jim Kirkpatrick. Young Aiden opened with " Messin' With The Kid " and as I told Aiden afterwards, it took me right back in time to when I saw RORY LIVE at the Birmingham Town Hall many times, when he open with that screaming strat intro to this song. Aiden played many more Rory fav's like "Tattoo'd Lady" and "Bad Penny" and more right from the heart, to the audiences great delight. Great to see from a 20 something year old guy who is truly inspired by Rory :)

Aiden Pryor Band 3jpg.jpg

I thought and said to friends after Aiden Pryor's Band "they're gonna take some following?" with the audience's begging for more..
Then to more great applause on stage walked Barry Barnes, with Brendan O'Neill, Rory's drummer for 10 years, with Rich Melville (USA) on bass. What a treat this was to see Brendan looking so well and playing better than ever the Rory songs like "Slumming Angel " and "Double Vision" of which he played on those great Rory studio albums. Brendan as Barry said is a true and humble gentleman. Reluctantly Brendan did say a few word emotionally into the mic. I didn't quite catch the first few words but from what I gathered he was saying what an honor it was to have played with the great man. He also gave great credit to his other fellow Northern Ireland drummer hero of his John Wilson (Taste). Whom he pointed out to everyone's surprise was in the audience on the night, watching with us all :)

Rich Melville, Brendan O'Neill & Barry Barnes.jpg

How do you follow that I thought.. yet this next guy on guitar and vocals "Gonzalo Portugal" certainly did, with his band "Last Fair Deal" from Spain :)
I'd seen them before at the Dutch RG Tribute in Holland 2 years ago. They have come on in leaps and bounds. IMHO on the day, Gonzo as he himself told me to call him, projected his guitar and vocals better than anyone on the afternoon/ evening, to all of the RORY compositions he played. They were a very tight band with Iker Arbizu - Bass and Virginia Fernández fantastic on Drums. These guys and gal are all in their 20's I believe also :)
Btw, LFD played two terrific RORY Taste tunes "Railway and Gun " and " Same Old Story ".. I hope John Wilson was impressed if he was still in attendance?

Gonzalo & Last Fair Deal.jpg

Aiden & Gonzo Two Young Guys Inspired by RORY.jpg

After a great repertiore of Rory fav's from Sinnerboy. Barry kept up the tradition over the years at this Rory G tribute of having a minute silence for Rory. Everyone gave their utmost respect to our hero and his life and legacy. You could not hear a pin drop throughout the minute :) :cry: :)

Finally and the Finale..
Sinnerboy (Barry Barnes) what more can you say but kudos to Barry and his band. Whom I know has had a very unsettling year, with many chances to his band's lineup. I must thank Barry for keeping Rory's musical spirit flame burning brightly and go on to say. No man or any other Rory G tribute band / Rory G celebration band, has done more in the last 20 years to promote and perform our hero's music than he around the world. May it long continue :)

Barry called on most of the musicians who played on the afternoon and evening back to the stage for the grand finale jam...
Appropriately as Rory ended many of his gigs to the sounds of "Shadow Play" & "Bullfrog Blues" :)

Barry ~ Gonzo ~ Aiden.jpg

ROCK ON FOR RORY
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Rory Tributes ~ Rory Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs