Any good Rory cover bands in the US?

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

Any good Rory cover bands in the US?

Postby CiaSeattle » 28 Mar 2016, 03:45

I see all these lovely shows in Europe, is there anything similar in the US? (Seattle area would be nice) We are feeling quite left out over here!
CiaSeattle

Re: Any good Rory cover bands in the US?

Postby leftyaxeman » 29 Mar 2016, 23:31

Haven't heard of any here in the states. Should be.

I play in a classic rock band and just added "Tattoo'd Lady" to our set list. Shame is in 25 years of gigging, haven't heard any other band cover him.
leftyaxeman

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Apr 2016, 19:14

CiaSeattle wrote:I see all these lovely shows in Europe, is there anything similar in the US? (Seattle area would be nice) We are feeling quite left out over here!

There is The Natalie Wells Band and Tony Deziel from the USA who regularly play Rory covers. I think they both live on the East Coast side USA tho?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=691&hilit=Natalie+Wells#p5408

Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Apr 2016, 19:48

I know what you mean. I am always surprised when I hear a band or musician in my country covering a Rory song. It's different in Europe. Rory definitely left his mark there, and there is a whole circuit of musicians and bands there that cover Rory's music. Not that he wasn't popular here, but it was always somewhat under the radar, word of mouth among his fans back in the day. Even musicians like Slash heard of Rory through word of mouth- Slash's dad was a fan, and that was why Slash happened to be in the audience to see Rory that fateful night in Los Angeles.

There was one concert dedicated to Rory and his music in New York after his passing, but that was not an annual event. Perhaps Daniel Gallagher, who now resides in New York, could set up something like that, but it would be very time and labor intensive.

I even thought for a time that someone over here on the west coast could organize something like that here, but it would be so difficult to do.

There are festivals that cover Rory's music and feature these bands across Europe. We just don't have that here, because he simply did not have the following here that he did there, and that is not to say he isn't deserving of it. In the distance between Seattle, Washington to Los Angeles, California we'd travel 960 miles (1545 kilometers) and if you travel that distance in Europe you would be crossing international borders left and right. In the two weeks I spent in Ireland I was able to attend two festivals dedicated to Rory, and there are many more throughout the year in Europe. For fans living there it isn't difficult to plan one's year around those events, but sadly, we on this side of the globe just don't have that opportunity. And, unless someone invents the time/space portal, or some other means to make it dirt cheap and incredibly fast to travel 4,500 miles (7242 kilometers) to Europe we will just have to experience it vicariously through YouTube videos and through writings on these Rory forums.
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 05 Apr 2016, 15:34

Well done lady! I think this is really good. I would never had imagined a woman singing this song but she does a pretty good job. She's got the right kind of raunchy voice. The guitar playing is pretty good too, although somewhat different. It's very refreshing to hear this.
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 05 Apr 2016, 16:07

It just goes to show how poorly Rory was promoted in the US. I saw tons of live shows back in the day, a majority of them blues and rock, was married to a blues guitarist who had tons of albums by just about everybody and we still never heard of Rory, even though we lived in a major city that he played in a few times. Never saw a poster in a record shop, never heard an announcement on the radio...nothing!! If I had seen anything about him, I would have gone to the show based on his looks alone! :mrgreen: Breaks my heart to look at the timeline and see he was right there and I missed it.

Thanks for the Natalie video, I'm checking her out and watching her tour dates. Everybody plays Seattle eventually!
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 05 Apr 2016, 16:27

Ciaseattle I'm originally from Glasgow in Scotland and have lived in the UK up until 1992 and I never once saw an advertisement or a poster for any of Rory's gigs. Of course there were vinyl LPs in the record stores and I used to often wonder where he was and what he was doing when I saw them, but I really missed out on a lot after that one gig I saw him at in 78. Of course I was working in a band myself most of the time, so I wouldn't have had the time to attend any concerts then, so maybe it was all just my fault. Only once in the early 80s when I was working in the summer in Germany did I see a poster advertising an open air concert, but it was nowhere near the area I was working in. I guess I should have made more of an effort. :(
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Apr 2016, 20:35

CiaSeattle wrote:It just goes to show how poorly Rory was promoted in the US. I saw tons of live shows back in the day, a majority of them blues and rock, was married to a blues guitarist who had tons of albums by just about everybody and we still never heard of Rory, even though we lived in a major city that he played in a few times. Never saw a poster in a record shop, never heard an announcement on the radio...nothing!! If I had seen anything about him, I would have gone to the show based on his looks alone! :mrgreen: Breaks my heart to look at the timeline and see he was right there and I missed it.

Thanks for the Natalie video, I'm checking her out and watching her tour dates. Everybody plays Seattle eventually!

I know what you mean. I grew up in Los Angeles, and I am somewhat fortunate as I grew up in an artistic environment. My uncle was a guitarist, and most of my friends were musicians. I studied classical guitar for a time but being born in the 50s in Los Angeles, how could I not love rock&roll, blues, and r&b? I never ever saw an add for a Rory concert, but I went to a lot of music stores, record shops and the like, and I grew up around musicians. Word on the street always let us know when Rory was in town.

He was never promoted, but tickets to his shows always sold out within hours of the word getting out. Lines were always around the block to see him. I never had the opportunity to meet him, never had the courage to try. And I was pretty young then, and rather shy, so I think I would have been speechless anyway. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby CiaSeattle » 06 Apr 2016, 02:23

I lived in Cincinnati from early '70's until 1982. Rory only played Cincinnati once during that time, but it was opening for Uriah Heep so I can see why I missed that! But I would go to shows in Cleveland quite often if it was someone I really liked even though it was a ridiculously long drive. When I see the number of times he played the Agora, makes me want to bang my head against the wall! I went to the Agora plenty of times, don't know how I could have missed him. I moved to California in 1982, near San Francisco and again still managed to remain oblivious in spite of him playing there on almost every tour. I guess it was just not meant to be.

On another note...I think if he had to do the big stadium tours, if he had been paired with bands whose audiences were more likely to respond to Rory's music (as opposed to Rush or Jefferson Starship who had become a top 40 pop band by then), word would have spread a lot more. Even someone like the Allman Brothers would have been a better fit.
CiaSeattle

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Rory Tributes ~ Rory Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs