Buddy Guy UK Tour 2016

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

Buddy Guy UK Tour 2016

Postby SUBY1974 » 02 Mar 2016, 00:16

Buddy Guy learnt from the Blues Greats as a young man. I read his autobiography and I know he was an influence for Rory. He is touring the UK this year and my tickets are book to go and see this legend this year. Subrata.x
http://www.buddyguy.net/
SUBY1974

Re: Buddy Guy UK Tour 2016

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Jul 2016, 16:17

Had a brilliant time last night at the Eventim Apollo ( or Hammersmith Apollo). Went to see Buddy Guy. The support act was Quinn Sullivan. He is a child prodigy. Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton helped launch his career as a Blues guitar player. Quinn, like Laurence Jones is a brillant guitarist. Very glad to see a future Blues guitar player.
Buddy eventually came on. He really is a humorous guy, who loves to tease the audience. His voice and guitar playing are amazing and he is almost 80 years old!! I love his Blues band. Very tight band. He sang Damn Right I Got The Blues; Hoochie Coochie Man and Mannish Boy ( Muddy Waters); Hoodoo Man ( Junior Wells and that Hoodoo Man blues album is such a classic); Gypsy Woman and I Just Want To Make Love to You( Muddy Waters); I Was Born To Play Guitar. I loved it when he sang a song, then paused and then said, "I didn't write that f**king song". He also loved to run the strings of his guitar on his chest. He also did a Jimmy Page impression of playing a violin bow on his guitar strings. He said he loved coming to the UK still ( like his Blues forefathers Muddy Water etc) because we still like the Blues. In the USA he sadly admitted there is not much airplay for Blues Music.
I loved it when his rhythm guitarist played and then the guitar began twirling around in the middle of his chest, like a twirling bow tie LOL. Buddy's keyboard player was just fantastic. All in all a good night. Buddy Guy knew them all :- Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton,Jimmy Hendrix etc.
He really is the last of the Blues legends. Its been an honour to have seen him.
I love my album collection of him and as a guitarist myself, I am learning a lot of new things. His guitar technique is awesome.
He last came to the Apollo in 1965. I also know Rory and Queen played at The Apollo. Still glad this legendary venue is still there,under a fly pass unfortunately. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby CiaSeattle » 03 Jul 2016, 16:40

Wow Suby...Great show that must have been!! I'm hoping he comes out my way someday soon. Buddy is such an amazing storyteller too, if you haven't heard any of his interviews, check them out. Here's one from 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-OXLWhvDc
CiaSeattle

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Jul 2016, 15:06

Thanks. Subrata.x :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby ailish78 » 15 Jul 2016, 21:16

Wow you are so lucky to have seen him.
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Jul 2016, 22:33

I am so glad I went. I have read his biography and I got a few album collection of his. I can't find the you tube footage of the concert. Here is the audio version. I am sure he and Rory must have met! Though I never read it anywhere. Rory cited in many interviews that Buddy was a Blues influence.
There is one thing that made me sad. Buddy said all the Blues players he knew are gone now. But hey their music and memories lives on forever. And may you continue to play Buddy for a long, long time to come.Subrata.x
https://youtu.be/X6qFK7td6u4
SUBY1974

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Rory Tributes ~ Rory Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs