Going to any Rory Gallagher Tribute Events in 2015?

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

Re: Going to any Rory Gallagher Tribute Events in 2015?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Jan 2015, 17:50

Sid_Sidow wrote:Trying to decide WHAT to do!!!

For Christmas, my son bought me one way ticket to Europe (not Ireland)... Wait...one way???
But he and his younger brother planned to meet me in Ballyshannon. I worry the time will be too tight. But now I understand the Rory Rocks Cork festival is the following weekend. So now I'm not sure how to plan.

Would love to hear from anyone of their preference. I know I read a post somewhere questioning why Ballyshannon when he only lived there a few years. But in the same post he questioned how Cork thinks of Rory. He mention Trip Advisor's ranking of Rory's gravesite ( something I initiated in 2013) as so low to say they really didn't think much of him!?

Visited both cities on the 2013 trip, hoping to make the best trip with my boys in 2015!! ss

Before I decided on any other Rory event, I decided I would visit Cork. That was the one place Rory seemed to most often cite as his home, even though he did not spend much time there in his later years. It's where he formed the first Taste, where he bought The Strat, in fact where he bought his first electric guitar, it is where he is laid to rest.

I know most of the fans look forward to Ballyshannon, as do I, but if I could only go to one place to visit, to remember Rory, I think my choice would remain Cork. The stars lined up just so for me this year, I can do Ballyshannon and Cork back to back. It will be magical.

Just my opinion.

Icing on the cake- Crowley's Music is back in business.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Jan 2015, 12:02

RobertaSparrow wrote:Before I decided on any other Rory event, I decided I would visit Cork. That was the one place Rory seemed to most often cite as his home, even though he did not spend much time there in his later years. It's where he formed the first Taste, where he bought The Strat, in fact where he bought his first electric guitar, it is where he is laid to rest.

I know most of the fans look forward to Ballyshannon, as do I, but if I could only go to one place to visit, to remember Rory, I think my choice would remain Cork. The stars lined up just so for me this year, I can do Ballyshannon and Cork back to back. It will be magical.

Just my opinion.

I did both Cork & Ballyshannon in 2003. All RORY FANS initially must do both and thread the steps of our hero.
Since then though I have only chosen to visit The RORY GALLAGHER International festival every year in Ballyshannon. Mainly because finances don't permit me to do both. It's a little similar to Rory's foot steps in life really if you think about it...
Although the birth of his musical career began in Cork. The success of his music developed a lot further in the north of Ireland.
Rory was an all around romany music man. He lived most of his life on the road based & living more in London than he lived in Cork.

What other world renowned musical entertainer has a 4 day musical festival? Dedicated to their life and musical achievements??
As I said 10 years ago on the old official Meeting Place Rory forum. It is like heaven on earth to a RORY FAN in Ballyshannon.. a musical Rory Gallagher extravaganza and paradise for four days. Sensing Rory even has come back down with us in spiritual music form for those few days.

RORY GALLAGHER still lives in his music ;)

Rock On for Rory :) :) :) :)
(Ballyshannon Rock Hospital)
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Madrid74 » 04 Jan 2015, 23:29

I'll go to Ballyshannon and Cork, flights are already booked as well as accomodation at Bundoran for the Roryfest.
But I'm still searching a b&b for my Cork stay .
Any recommendation for a nice and cheap place will be appreciated ;) ;) .
Madrid74

Postby Sid_Sidow » 05 Jan 2015, 02:04

Madrid74 wrote:I'll go to Ballyshannon and Cork, flights are already booked as well as accomodation at Bundoran for the Roryfest.

I was very happy with a place called Mariaville House - Barry told me his big brother used to go to Rory shows at City Hall.
http://www.mariavillehouse.com/
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby SUBY1974 » 05 Jan 2015, 21:34

Madrid74 wrote:I'll go to Ballyshannon and Cork, flights are already booked as well as accomodation at Bundoran for the Roryfest.

Travellodge in Cork. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jan 2015, 14:34

I have passed the point of no return in this trip to Ireland. Booked the flights, the accommodations, ordered my passport, and today I ordered the event tickets for the Rory Gallagher Festival in Ballyshannon and Cork Rocks for Rory. And I'm also hoping to go horseback trail riding in Donegal as well, if all works out.

We're hoping to stay in Ballincollig for the Cork half of the journey, see all those places Rory spoke of, and of course I will visit Rory as I promised.

:mrgreen: Cynthia
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 29 Jan 2015, 14:59

RobertaSparrow wrote:I have passed the point of no return in this trip to Ireland. Booked the flights, the accommodations, ordered my passport, and today I ordered the event tickets for the Rory Gallagher Festival in Ballyshannon and Cork Rocks for Rory. And I'm also hoping to go horseback trail riding in Donegal as well, if all works out.

We're hoping to stay in Ballincollig for the Cork half of the journey, see all those places Rory spoke of, and of course I will visit Rory as I promised.

:mrgreen: Cynthia

I'm so excited and happy for you!
Annie Elliott

Postby Annie Elliott » 29 Jan 2015, 15:03

I stayed at Fernroyd House B&B in Cork which was very comfortable, plus the landlord and landlady are the sweetest and most helpful people anywhere. The landlord insisted on programming my Garmin so I could get to Rory's grave. They know a lot of Cork history which they are happy to share.

I know people who stayed at the Maldron Hotel too and they thought it was quite alright.

One thing you should know - accommodations in Ireland tend to be on the rustic side so don't be surprised if your room looks like your grandmother's house!

Hope you have a wonderful time!
Annie Elliott

Postby jenniferj » 05 Feb 2015, 13:58

Graham and I will be there for both Ballyshannon and Cork this year. All booked. Looking forward to see you again Jay Jay as well as lots of other Rory friends we have made over the years.
Jennifer.
jenniferj

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Feb 2015, 21:46

Yesterday I got two envelopes from Dublin- one had the set of early bird tickets I ordered for Ballyshannon, the other had the Cork Rocks for Rory tickets. Getting closer . . .
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs