Blues Infusion Concert at National Portrait Gallery 8/8/2014

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

Blues Infusion Concert at National Portrait Gallery 8/8/2014

Postby SUBY1974 » 31 Aug 2014, 18:52

On the 08/08/2014 I went to the National Portrait Gallery in London for a Blues Infusion concert of East and West mix hosted by the Blues Player Bob Hokum ( founder of the Ealing Blues Festival) and my cousin Anjan Saha. It was a brilliant evening and they played to a full house. I hope the painting of all those guys in the Revolution Room liked the music as well. :lol: Anyway by chance I saw the portrait of William Blake and I know he was a mystical poet. Anyway Bob Hokum likes Indian music and the sound. I have heard it all my life, so its nothing new for me. But it was interesting to see how Bob and the the musicians mixed the Blues and Indian music together. The Beatles themselves have a lot of Indian music in their songs. Bob Hokum played a lot of acoustic blues by various artists and he was saying how fascinated he was that when a musician plays the tabla ( our Indian drum) we tune it and the sitar has many, many tuning pegs. Imagine learning sitar, bloody hell its more difficult then guitar. My late Aunt ( bless her) played it well. Her husband and her knew Ravi Shankar ( RIP) and were friends with him.

A painter painted the band. I mean I was watching spellbound. :shock: :mrgreen: I also had to film the event for Anjan and I did not even know I was going to d0 that. :lol: Talk about being a handy woman. After the show everyone was fascinated to know I was Anjan's cousin! So many questions like do I write etc.

Rory would have loved this I am sure. I also need to check out the Virginia Woolf ( writer) gallery next time. National Portrait also houses that interesting portrait of Kate Middleton who looks 52 instead of 32 in that picture of hers, which she approved. :lol:

I will always thank Anjan for introducing me to rock music in 1984 with Queen; getting me back into writing since the Millenium; helping me understand the Blues;helping me appreciate the fact I am a Brit Asian and our Indian culture; helping me appreciate our family cultural and artistic heritage ( mainly from my mother's side) and helping to believe in myself as a woman and that I can achieve anything as a woman. Also I forgive him for pulling my hair in 1976 when I was 2 and he was 5. :lol: :lol: :lol: There is a cute picture of us in 1976. x

I feel the Blues has been influenced by Indian music and other music. Subrata. x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SUBY1974

Re: Blues Infusion Concert at National Portrait Gallery 8/8/

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Nov 2016, 00:49

https://youtu.be/aKE7q3fBHdI
Live footage of the concert. I was there. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby bronyr » 14 Nov 2016, 21:30

SUBY1974 wrote:https://youtu.be/aKE7q3fBHdI
Live footage of the concert. I was there. Subrata.x

That's lovely, Subrata. I love events where different forms of music are presented and then we realize that they are, in many ways, threads from a similar cloth. I enjoy going to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in Washington DC. One year we had Scotland, Appalachia, and Mali as featured regions. It was amazing to see, after the festival at the local hotel, Ali Farke Toure, Dougie Maclean, and fantastic Appalachian fiddlers and duclimer players all jam together in a circle!

Amy
bronyr

Postby SUBY1974 » 20 Nov 2016, 00:24

Hi Bronyr, When I came to learn about Rory and the blues music, by coincidence my cousin Anjan met Bob Hokum ( blues guitarist and founder of the Ealing Blues Festival)around the same time. I loved rock way before then anyway.
As I began to learn about Rory's music and the blues more, I learnt alot through Bob and Anjan.
I am also interested in the fusion of different kinds of music sounds. Anjan ( he is a poet and musician) loves it too and so does my brother. I have learnt alot about the guitar from Bob. I play the guitar as well.
I hope one day to record some music with my baby brother and do a fusion of sounds album or something. We will then put it online.
Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Rory Tributes ~ Rory Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs