CORK ROCKS for RORY Festival Review June 2014 with Pics

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

CORK ROCKS for RORY Festival Review June 2014 with Pics

Postby SUBY1974 » 22 Jun 2014, 21:30

CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL JUNE 2014 - REVIEW

What an amazing, magical and incredible trip it was. I am still on high and I wish I was back in Cork!

Both Susie and I had the same feeling that this year we should visit Cork and explore Rory’s hometown and also go to the Cork Rocks for Rory Festival. I had a dream where he asked us to come to Cork only this year.

As usual we started planning this trip before December 2013 and there was a point where Susie and I were finding it difficult to get annual leave from work at the same time for this trip. Susie said “Don’t worry if Rory wants us to come, he will arrange the time off”. Luckily at the last moment Susie’s work colleague changed their holiday dates and Susie managed to get the annual leave the same time as me. A trip like this requires minute planning to the last detail.

Flying out to Ireland on the 02/06/2014 is always wonderful feeling. I first went to Ireland in 2000 and still love the country. I was at the airport and I switched my mobile phone on and 10.44am showed up immediately by chance. It was a good start as I knew Rory was with us. As I boarded the plane I could “smell” Ireland and I was very glad to leave London behind. It had been stressful with work and family right up to the trip. I love London to its core but more and more I am getting disconnected from my hometown.

Susie would be taking the ferry from Scotland to Belfast. She would drive to Cork and make an epic journey to Rory’s Corcaigh and meet me. We had no idea how magical it was going to be.

That night in the Travelodge I fell into a deep a sleep and in the dream I felt I was travelling in a very fast tunnel at high speed. As I looked up I saw Rory, a mature Rory as I see him older and he is after all like a second father figure to me. He was smiling at me. I smiled back and then I can’t remember anymore. I told Susie about the dream the next morning and she too had felt his spirit around.

On the 03/06/2014 we decided to go Ballincollig first and see him. It was always emotional and this year for the first time I took a red check shirt, guitar pick, a framed photo of Rory and a lovely card from my mother. She fancies Rory! The card contained a purple flower (purple is a healing colour) from my folks garden and I put mine, Susie’s, Cynthia and Dwana name in it and love from all the Rory fans. The smell of the flower was wonderful.

It was raining a little and on this trip it did rain a lot. I don’t mind the rain in Ireland. When we were in Ballincollig we sat next to him and then suddenly the sun just came out of the clouds and shined down on us. I am sure Rory made the sun came out. I also found my photo of Rory from 2 years ago still sitting there (with a private message from me) and I placed my new photo beside it. It was another sign he was showing us he is always with us. I can’t quite believe my old photo of him from two years ago is still sitting there!

We then next travelled to Blarney Castle. In the UK I have visited a few castles in my time and they are what I expect – rigid defence structures. The last castle I went to was Rosalyn Castle outside Edinburgh in May and I have also seen Edinburgh Castle, Windsor Castle etc.

So when we went to Blarney Castle I was expecting much the same. Never in a billion years did I expect to see what I did and neither did Susie. It took a while to find it and our sat nav got us there ok. We parked, paid our entrance fee and started to walk towards the castle which we could not see just yet. There was a small sparkling stream flowing on the left of us and I soon recognised the bridge Rory stood on in the Irish Tour 1974 film. On the footage he has his hands clasped looking out onto the bridge deep in thought and maybe thinking about the future. Susie and I posed on the bridge and I was thinking about my future and how much the world is changing at present into a new consciousness. It was lovely to stand on the bridge and the greenery was amazing around us. As we continued to walk towards the castle, to my delight I saw an Irish harpist playing his harp. I love stringed instruments be it guitar, violin whatever and I like the harp. We listened to the soothing, enchanting Celtic music and I put some money in his cap. I asked him if I could take a picture and he said “That’s very kind of you”.

We continued to walk and then we saw the castle and our jaws just dropped in astonishment. I know Rory does surprise us but this was something from a fairytale book. I was so stunned, I just looked at the castle in sheer wonder. We both did. I have never in my life (apart from the Egyptian pyramids) seen such a beautiful and magical building. I mean it’s a castle out of a Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty children’s story book. It was just magnificent and I just stood there looking at it. This castle is real not a fantasy. When our Rory visited months before my birth in the Irish Tour film footage, it looked like a nice castle but when you see the place with your own two eyes it is just breathtaking. Like other castles it was built for defence purposes. I am not going into the history of the castle but here is a link if you want to read more on it:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blarney_Castle

We probably spent the next few hours at the castle and we really explored by starting with the dungeons. I am sensitive to energies in old buildings, so I did not go down there. What we did was climb the top and that’s where the fun began! I know that Rory climbed to the top of Blarney Castle’s turrets but I had no idea the stairs would be so narrow, steep and windy. As we climbed each level I took some photos and captured orbs. Now I have vertigo and I was finding it difficult to get to the top. I really wanted to quit but I remember my work colleague Bill ( who is from Belfast) saying that Blarney Castle was very high and he said if I kissed the Blarney Stone, then he wanted to see a picture of it. Well Bill and I had made a bet. ;)

I was about to turn to Susie and tell her that I was going back down. I have vertigo, so high places are no good for me. Suddenly I felt like Rory was with me and I felt he was saying to me that I could reach the top and kiss the Blarney Stone. Now he knows next year I have to read out more of my literature work at literature events and begin running my motivation workshops. For that I need the “gift of the gab” as I will need to speak to people publicly. I am pretty good but I guess after I kissed the Blarney Stone I could get better.

Anyway, somehow I got to the top and the views were amazing. Susie managed it as well and I just kept on holding the railing for dear life. We came to the Blarney Stone and a man was sitting there with his legs over the parapet. Susie was wondering what he was doing there and found it odd. I mean when you looked over the edge of the ledge there is a sheer drop. I knew why the man was sitting there and I was about to show Susie why!

There was another elderly man next to me and I asked him to take my photo. After all Bill my work colleague wanted proof! I told the guy on the ledge I had vertigo (well that does not help!) and could he make sure I did not fall from the top. I am so thick, because of course the guy won’t let me fall! :roll: The guy said “Don’t worry you will be fine”. When I look back at it, I can laugh about it now but i was shit scared. :( I lay down and stretched my arms out to the railing support and the guy on the ledge guided me to kiss the Blarney Stone. I was saying in a squeaky voice, “Don’t let go of me. Please don’t let go of me” over and over again :lol: :lol: . What a brave soul I am LOL! The guy goes “I won’t let go of you. Relax”. I closed my eyes real tight. You can see from my photo I kissed it and believe me I was so proud of myself and I know Rory was as well. When the drama over I was all smiles and next it was Susie’s turn. She lay down and she was grinning (can you believe?) as she kissed the stone :lol: . Later when we were back safely on the ground, I looked up and realised how bloody high the stone is situated. What a place to put it! :shock: Even more funny the guy on the ledge said would I like to come and sit next to him with my feet dangling over – thanks but no thanks. He was obviously joking. Perhaps we could do a spot of fishing up there but we will need every long fishing line! No it was an achievement. I conquered my fear of vertigo, we kissed the Blarney Stone and Rory helped us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Later we decided to explore the castle gardens and grounds. The place was a magical, a haven and a paradise. A place for unicorns and fairies in my opinion. When Rory visited Blarney in 1973 the castle and grounds have changed a lot in the last 40yrs. It’s now an ecological site and a botanist’s dream. There are various species of plants and trees. All beautifully kept and they have built walkways and paths so visitors can access the gardens easily. We found a lot modern artwork scattered around the gardens. For Pisceans I was mesmerised by the waterfalls. Pisceans love water. There lots of Dolmans, caves with their individual legends attached. I especially loved the Ancient Stone Circle of the Druids and the energy in this circle was light and happy. In fact the green vegetation, nature, the waterfalls and art was so healing for the soul. I have not experienced anything like this for a long time and it was good that Susie knew about the flora and fauna as she studied at an Agricultural College in Scotland. I made some wishes on the Wishing Steps.

I did love a tunnel way made of live green vines of a plant and we walked under it. We also saw an ancient elm tree that can protect you from evil. There was a lot of Celtic and Pagan influence in this site and you can feel the ancient magic. It was lovely to visit the stone circle. The last one I visited was Stonehenge.

Children would love the gardens as they could play and hide. I am sure for writers they could use their imagination. Liz saw a picture of Susie with her foxy sweater on and said on FB "Looks like the fox has gone exploring". :D

We later had tea at the stables. There are no horses there but the tea was good. In fact throughout the whole trip we drank tea and stuck the photos on FB. I think a lot of our friends thought we may overdose on tea! LOL. :lol: :lol: There are a lot of crows in Ireland and they always want food. There were quite a few at Blarney Castle watching us with their beady eyes for some tit bits.

When we did leave Blarney Castle I told Susie that Rory was very lucky to have this landmark on his doorstep. No wonder he chose it to be filmed by Tony Palmer for Irish Tour 1974.

As we drove away from Blarney I saw a robin hopping around and Susie had seen it earlier. It looked at us for a very long time.

We drove all the way back to Cork the long way and we almost got lost. However during the drive we listened to all off the Irish Tour 1974 CD. Susie said maybe Rory wanted us to hear the whole CD. We did eat at The Gresham Metropole . The food was really good there and I was looking at the lovely abstract art on the walls.

On the 4th June 2014 we decided to do the Rory Gallagher walk and follow the map Marcus Connaughton had done after publishing his Life and Times of Rory Gallagher biography. It’s a very good map and we just followed the pathways and we happen to discover some new Rory hotspots.

We went into The Guitar Shop in McCurtain Street and it really is a lovely shop owned by Tony Ryan. He sells second hand guitars, guitar parts and accessories. He also sold CDs and I bought Rory Defender album. The guitars are good quality and I saw a copy of a Hummingbird Acoustic guitar which is used by Marcus Bonfanti. Susie asked Tony about a Japanese Fend Strat and bought some strings and a guitar tuner. Tony was very helpful and he is also a guitar maker. I was very impressed about that and he showed us his workshop. He said he had met Rory many times and Rory would come into the shop to browse around. He said Rory was a quiet man.

We did pass Crowleys, which is closed and has been put up for auction. It was a sad sight to see. My heart just sank. :( :( :(

Following the map of Marcus Connaughton was good and we found the Cork English Language College in Camden Quay. This use to be St Kierans College, Rory’s school and I was thinking that Rory was lucky to have his school round from the corner where he lived. What was even more fortunate as Tony Ryan told us, was that apart from having Crowleys near Rory’s home, there are various theatres, pubs and clubs that still host live shows. In the sixties it would have been a blues scene. Rory literally had everything on his doorstep to begin his musical career. Everything was in his backyard and that was very fortunate for Rory. Today the pubs and theatres still host live bands and shows in the evening. I am lucky that I found writers groups and bookclubs in Harrow and London. Harrow has been known to produce some good artists in its time and London has a creative heart.

We kept on following the map and eventually went to the Rory Music Library and found another gem – Ziggy’s Bar just around the corner. The taxi driver who took me to the hotel told me about. I love the Rory painting by Vincent Zara outside but inside the Ziggy Bar – well that took my breath away. Inside the Ziggi Bar there was Rory momentoes covering half the bar wall. There photos of Rory and headlines. The owner of Ziggy Bar was on vacation, so unfortunately we could not speak to him but the montage he has done for Rory clearly shows he is a huge, huge fan. There was even Phil Lynott and Queen there as well. For any Rory fan it is well worth visiting. We did take photos and the guy behind the bar said cheekily, “I am not taking my clothes off for you!” :P

We did past an Irish Tourist shop selling souvenirs. Susie walked past the window and said “Rory is looking at me”. Eh? :shock: Well a t-shirt with Rory picture was staring at us. We went in and I bought the T-Shirt for me.

We walked around Cork for little longer and actually went to the Shannon Church. Here is a description of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandon,_Cork

I have never been there before in this life but I remember in a dream where Rory was showing me around the grounds of the church in autumn time. I desperately wanted to see if the grounds Rory showed me in my dream ( which was very vivid) matched the church grounds in real life. It did and I could see the pathway and the hedgerows in the corner. I told Susie so and we took photos of the church. There is also a Craft and Arts museum there and maybe next time will visit it in the future. Cork Goal a very famous landmark and is said to be haunted. We will visit it the next time we come to Cork.

We travelled back to the hotel and we were listening to Rory’s song and then I noticed 10.44 on the clock and I showed Susie and I started to smile. Cynthia and Dwana that was so uncanny. We also took a lot of photos of orbs around us and i can see blue orbs with naked eye as I did on this trip.

The next day we travelled to two places Cobh ( pronounced Cove) and Kinsale. We drove to Cobh there first. It is a picture postcard seaside town and the church St Colmans is very beautiful. The architecture is very modern Gothic but the stain glass windows inside the church are well worth viewing. They are absolutely stunning and I love the huge organ that the church houses. There is a Titanic Memorial Garden but we never went. Titantic sailed from Cobh before it hit tradegy. The sea is so blue and luckily for us that day there were blue skies. I believe Rory and his brother Donal came to Cobh during summer holidays to visit their cousins.

We went to Kinsale and I have to say I really love this seaside town for many reasons. There is a beautiful harbour with lots of yachts and Kinsale is very famous for its eating places. It’s a gastronomical delight and leaves a sensation to your taste buds! We stayed here for most of the afternoon and had good old Irish breakfast at a pub, with of course our pot of tea.

We visited many shops. We found this quaint shop called Stone Mad Gallery, that sold so many interesting things like trinkets, dolls, cushions, little pictures etc. It reminded me of a little girl’s bedroom, like my mum did up for me when I was six or seven. I actually don’t like dolls and everywhere now in my place, I have whales and dolphin pictures. This shop was sweet and Susie bought some cushions with foxes on them for her flat. Well she is in a girl punk band called Seafieldfoxes.

I found a bookshop called Bookstor, so yep there was a grin on my face. We found another bookstore called the Poets Corner, The Reading Café. It was absolutely heavenly inside. We had another pot of tea and cake. It was comfy and had sofas, pictures of books and rows and rows of books on the shelf. I had such a big grin on my face and we spent a good hour or so there. I found a few authors I liked and I just could have stayed there forever.

There was a lovely clothes shop where Susie bought a poncho that matched her blue eyes and we just walked around the shops until it was six pm. People were so friendly and I highly recommend that Rory fans visit this place. I know Rory did and if I am right he did buy a property here but never lived in it?

We came back to the hotel and we decided to go out to a Tandoori to eat and actually dress up. We knew that the next three days we would be at the Cork Rock For Rory Festival, so we would be wearing t-shirts and jeans. There is a Tandoori restaurant opposite the Cork Opera House for anyone who likes an Indian.

CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL

Now we come to the main topic. After four days of seeing Cork and surrounding towns, we were now in the festival mood and ready to “Rock For Rory”.

On the 6/06/2014 we decided to see the rest of Cork and finish the Marcus Connaughton Rory map. We visited the English Market and it is a lovely market full of food, dress stores and restaurants. It is well worth visiting.

We also visited the Peter and Paul Church and in 1996 a memorial service was held for Rory here. It is a beautiful church and we spent some time here. I captured an orb right in front of me where I was sitting in the pews. That was incredible Dwana and Cynthia.

We also found a hippy shop called Dervish and we were grateful to be inside out from the rain. By now it was pouring heavily. It has lovely atmosphere and upstairs was a library with load of crystals in it. We went upstairs and I found books on water healing, sound healing, Osho works and a book by Dr Bruce Lipton on Spontaneous Evolution. As a science student I was thrilled to find this book. We bought a few things and I bought a beautiful rose quartz crystal candle holder. This will be wonderful when I do meditation at home. I also love the OHM CD they were playing. It had quite an effect on me.

We had a nice lunch at a pub that served good vege food – tachos and Singapore noodles and of course tea!

We also went to the second hand book store called Connollys in Rory Gallagher Place and again I had that big grin on my face.

For the second time on this trip I had to conquer my fear of vertigo. We would be climbing St Patricks Hill. On other visits I chickened out because it is so steep. You can see in a 1972 documentary , Rory coming down the hill and standing on the hill green looking out at Cork. It was raining heavily I may add and as we made our way to the hill I felt my stomach turn. :(

We started climbing the hill and then half way up I turned to Susie and said “I can’t do it”. Suddenly I saw a car plate saying 1044 and thought well I better climb it then. Rory will help me as he did at Blarney. So we kept going and Susie was saying “I would never attempt to park a car here”.

We did get to the top and there before us was the view Rory saw many times as a boy and as a man and the view he sees in the 1972 documentary at the start of his solo career. And here we were 42 years later. We just stood there looking over Cork and the views are breathtaking. It was lovely to see the churches of Cork from this vantage point. Susie also managed to find some rare rustyback plant on the walls and we met an elderly man who said he would be happy tell us about Cork if we needed it. The people of Cork are so friendly. The view reminded me of the times I would stand on Harrow On The Hill and look over London. In fact a guy at Ziggy Bar knew about Harrow On The Hill and that Lord Byron the poet would sit there and write poetry. I keep two postcards of Harrow On The Hill in my bag, as I loved the place so much as college student and still do. Many happy memories there.

To my relief we climbed down and went to the Rory Gallagher Pub. Rory actually never lived here as I thought. He lived two doors down above his grandmother’s pub. But the Rory Gallagher Pub is nicely refurbished and I love the two beautiful pictures of Rory on the wall. One is a huge bronze type picture of Rory playing his beloved Strat in the late 70s and then there is a black and white painting of him probably from 1972, where he plays his guitar lovingly.

We spent a while in the pub and then decided to go back to the hotel and get ready for the first part of the Cork Rocks For Rory festival in the evening. Susie boyfriend had text in the morning at 10.44am saying “Enjoy the festival” and I said to Susie, “Rory is saying through your boyfriend that he hopes we have a good time”. Susie just smiled.

It would be held at the Cyprus Avenue and The Jack Aherne band were first on the bill. . The kids in this band were amazing. Later the promoter Ger of Cyprus Avenue told us the brass section that played that night, keyboard player and drummer had never heard of Rory and his music. Yet they nailed it that night and believe me those kids were so good. Rory would have been so proud of them and its comforting to know his music will live on in the young.

Susie and I danced a lot. We totally forgot in the main bar there is a huge TV screen, so punters drinking there saw us dancing our asses off – how embarrassing LOL! Well we were Rocking For Rory in our Rory T- Shirts. Ger saw us and took a photo so hopefully they are not on Facebook LOL! My work colleagues, literature friends, family and friends may get a little shock. I mean is this Subrata?? I was having a ball. :lol: :lol: :lol: The band did play some Taste numbers too like Same Old Story.

Later David McHugh came on with his band and they rocked the house down. David McHugh dedicated the gig to Rodney Hunter who played in the Barry McGivern band. He had passed away during the Ballyshannon festival and that was very sad. David also dedicated the gig to Mick Butler who had a bad back. Mick was in a hospital in Dingle Bay. Mick was Rory’s roadie.

So many Rory classic songs were played. There was a slight technical hitch with David’s guitar at one point but it was a good gig.

Finally they was a jamming session at the end and everyone tried to play each other’s instruments. We had so much fun and it was a great first night.

Ger was very good to us and told us as he lived in Douglas he would help us get to Macroom so that we would not have to drive there. “How weird is that Ger lives in Douglas. That is where our hotel is” Susie told me. I just wanted to add Susie’s surname is Douglas. She has researched her family history and found that the Douglas name can only be found in the South of Ireland. We later found out that Rory and his mum lived in Douglas, Cork. I told Susie in the car, “The Douglas name is everywhere and I am being driven by a Douglas”. We had such a laugh.

Even though it was raining, many had come out to support Rory and the tribute bands. It was very, very humbling.

On the 07/06/2014 Susie and I decided to go to Crawford Gallery for lunch where Rory did art lessons as a boy after school in the evenings. Susie had scones and I had a wonderful mushroom pancake with salad, washed down with tea of course.

We then made our way to the Rory Gallagher Music library to hear David McHugh’s acoustic guitar session and which Blues songs influenced Rory. The session was good but as we were in library ( big grin on my face as always) we could not sing along with David, only hum. It lasted one hour and was both educational, as well as enjoyable. The session was also dedicated to Mick Butler and Rodney Hunter.

After the session a guy in his sixties came up to us and asked us how did we get into Rory Gallagher’s music. This guy’s brother had been in the Fontana Show band and played with Rory . Next another guy in his sixties called James Flynn came up and started talking to us as well. He is said that he had been in the Fontana Showband with Rory and played lead guitar. Eventually he left the band and Rory became the lead guitarist from rhythm guitarist. He played with Rory for six months. He said at the age of 16, Rory was quick to learn guitar and they use to be paid £3 a week which was quite a fair bit of money in the sixties. I then recalled in Oliver Tobin’s book “A Star Was Born in My Brother’s Band” and Jimmy Flynn name was mentioned in it. Now here was James Flynn speaking to us in real life. It made me realise that Cork is a small town, everybody knows each other and most would have known Rory and his family. James said that Rory’s mum doted on Rory and really supported him in his music path. James also added that in the late 60’s he saw Rory and by this time Rory had made it with his band Taste. James said he was really happy for Rory and told Rory so.

We spoke to David McHugh and he was glad that we are still practicing guitar and he said “never ever give it up”. Believe me we won’t and I know we can ask David’s advice on guitar anytime. The good news is is that Susie’s boyfriend is a very good guitarist in a Blues band and he has heard me play. He told me my hand is becoming more practiced and Susie’s bloke has played the guitar for 30years. I told David my soul just wants to learn the instrument since the mid 90s. David said “Go with your instincts”.

After the session we went back to the hotel to get ready for the Sinnerboy gig with Barry, Dave, Robin at the Cyprus Avenue. We were very excited as it would be nice to see Barry again and hear the new Sinnerboy line up. Robin plays bass and Dave plays drums. Barry also told me at the gig "Keep practicing guitar. Never ever give it up."

We got there about 9pm and I saw a man with a long white pony tail. I smiled at him at the entrance. I spoke to Pauline who said she had tickets for us for the coach to Macroom gig in Macroom. I pointed to the man with the white pony tail and moustashe and said “Ger” was helping us. I started to call out his name and Pauline smiled and said, “Subrata that is not Ger. It is a younger brother and they almost like twins. There is about 11 months between them”. We all laughed – oh well. :roll:

We went into the venue and Barry met us and we gave him a hug and kiss. Barry would speak to us later. We may be there to dance our ass off but Barry and the band were here to work. While the band were setting up, the real Ger ( not his brother) came up to us and we talked. It was agreed that Ger would pick us up and we would go to his place in Douglas and then Sinnerboy , all of us would be given a lift back to Cork City to catch the coach to Macroom.

Ger was looking at my bags. I was carrying a huge Sainsburys shopping bag and Ger thought I had been shopping before a rock gig LOL. :lol: :lol: He asked “Have you been shopping? Why you carrying a shopping bag at a rock gig?” LOL again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sinnerboy were very good and I loved the new line up. We were dancing at the front of the stage and Barry often came up to us and played his guitar real close to us. In one instant he was singing Bullfrog Blues and he called out our names! He then sang my favourite “I Fall Apart”. Susie then spontaneously put her phone on and 10.44 was blazing on the screen. She showed me and I stunned . “It can’t get any better then that”, Susie said. I nodded to her in acknowledgement. My eyes filled with tears as we heard Barry sing “I Fall Apart” and Susie was moved by “A Million Miles Away”. Back in Scotland she would hear “A Million Miles Away” and she would see 10.44 on the clock.

Ger asked her if we wanted a drink and of course I rarely drink and Susie was driving. So Ger made us, you guessed two cups of tea! We put our tea cups on the stage as Barry was playing. Ger later said “No promoter would do that for yer”. I totally agree and he was just so lovely and in time everyone in Cork was so nice. :D :D

Barry did a few acoustic sessions and the most moving song he played was a song he wrote for his late wife Denise. It was so beautiful and moving.

The gig finished on a high and we had such a good time. The next day we would be going to Macroom.

On the 8/06/2014 I was a bit sad that the holiday was almost over but it was great to finish our last day in Cork on a high with the Macroom gig. Ger would pick us up from the hotel at 11.30am. Well he called us and asked if he could pick us up at 11.20am :roll: .We travelled in his van and he told us that a lot of Rory tribute bands had used his van. Ger had seen Rory loads of time in Cork but most people in Cork never bothered Rory and let Rory go about his business without hassling him. Susie was travelling in the back of the van and was loving it. As a musician herself she is use to it. She was taking a photo of herself to show Seafieldfoxes. Ger looked in the view mirror and said “No selfies in the back” in a joky way. The amount selfies we took!

We reached Ger’s place in Douglas and saw Barry and the boys. Everyone was very tired from the previous night gig and so were we. We were rubbing our eyes but soon we were given a lift to Cork and ended outside the Cyprus Venue. Sinnerboy and others started loading music gear in a van and this was the first time in my life where I actually had a glimpse of how this is done. Susie is used it. While waiting outside Cyprus Avenue, I recognised Mick Butler ( Rory’s roadie), who I first saw in Ballyshannon.

Both Susie and I went up to him and I began asking how his back was. I was concerned and he said he was doing fine. We talked a bit and he said Ballyshannon was very good this year but he definitely wanted to be at the Cork Rocks For Rory gig in Cork .Mick said he had worked with Rory on 29 tours over 36years, long before we were born. Now that is like WOW! I asked Mick what was Rory like. Mick looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said “Do you know God?”, “Yes I said”, and he said “Well Rory is one step above him. No make that two steps”. I just smiled. Well Rory is a Guitar God. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As we were queueing to get on the coach to Macroom, we met a Spanish guy called Ricardo. He is learning English in Cork. He told us how he got into Rory and said “Rory is part of my life you know”. I thought that is so true, because for all his fans that is true as well. I was thinking, I decided not to go to Hays Literature Festival this year and I missed a science seminar by Dr Bruce Lipton, because I wanted to be in Cork to support Rory , as I do every year. It’s the same with Susie and for everyone who loves him and his music.

The journey to Macroom took 44minutes and I slept most of the way. In fact Ger took a photo of me sleeping. When we got there we went to a bar called T P Cotters bar. Now in 1977 Macroom held the first outdoor festival in Ireland. The promoter of the festival phoned Rory and asked Rory if he wanted to be in the festival. Rory asked if it was in an arena or ballroom. The promoter said “No it’s in a field”. Rory then said “Ok lets do it”. According to the promoter Rory never asked about money or anything like that. Here is the documentary for the Macroom Festival:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7hs5wzt2Y

Rory headlined the first Macroom festival in 1977 with Gerry, Rod and Lou Martin. He then came back in 1978 with his new band which included Gerry and Ted on drums. The tube documentary above highlights that and was covered by a German film company.

Thin Lizzy headlined it the following year. In 1977, 17,000 people descended on Macroom village to see the festival and Macroom had no idea what hit them. They only ran the festival for a few more years but it is now part of rock and roll history. Rory gave a storming performance and there are pictures of him wearing a cowboy hat and playing “Out On A Western Plain”.

We were in T P Cotters Bar to celebrate Rory’s participation with his band at Macroom in 1977. It was raining heavily, well this is Ireland. Luckily we were indoors and they put a Marquee up for the barbeque. As Sinnerboy was getting reading I went to see the large painting on the wall of Rory. When the Macroom festival happened an artist had painted Rory’s face on a board and the fans had stuck it on the gateway of Macroom Castle overnight. Someone had literally nailed it to the castle wall. Nobody to this day knows who painted it but Ger reckons it may have been a woman. After the festival it fell down in a storm . It was retrieved and now its new home is the T P Cotters Bar. There were also lovely photos of Rory and an original poster advertising the Macroom event.

I was starting to feel peckish but I knew the free barbeque was not going to be vegetarian as they were serving buffalo burgers. I left T P Cotters and went to get a Chinese Tofu Chow Mein. Well I came back and sat down. I opened my takeaaway box and everyone under the marquee were staring at me! Ger was also looking at me. Then a lady said “Are you going to share that? Your part of the Rory Gallagher Family now in Cork”. What she meant was Susie and I were now part of the Rory Gallagher Family of Fans and Friends in Cork. I looked up and said “Oh you can have some. Its tofu chow mein”. She said “No, no I was only joking”. Next everyone wanted to know where I got the Chinese from and so I told them. I think some went over to the restaurant to get some.

Ger said “We have a vegetarian in the house”. Everyone was like “No way!” I was thinking “Oh yay!”. Later on while everyone was having their burgers, Ger came up to me and said “Go on have a burger. It will change your life”. He had a cheeky grin on his face. I started laughing and said “No no, you enjoy it. I did like meat once but gave it up for personal reasons to my family’s shock and dismay when I was 16. I am a happy veggie. I don’t miss meat”. The smell of food in the pub was definitely causing my gastric juices to go into overdrive. The aroma of barbeque and beer were overflowing in the joint. Ger also officially told Susie and me that we were now part of the The Rory Gallagher Family and Friends of Cork. I was thinking to myself “That’s why you brought us here Rory this year. We feel so honoured”. I will always feel grateful to Ger, Pauline and Tony for looking after us during the festival. They really went that extra mile to make us feel welcome. They were so warm, lovely and so was everyone. I made a few new friends as well.

We did visit the Macroom Festival site in the castle walls with Ger as guide. Ger was saying “I don’t know what to tell yer. I have never done this before”. Susie was like “But your the guide Ger!”. Ger said “Yeah I guess I am”. In fact he was really good and we took photos of the where the stage was and looked at the pathway where Donal drove a car to the festival and Rory got out with his guitar and the band in 1978. I mean there was no star studded entrance for Rory to the festival. He was just simply driven there. I remember in 1997 U2 came to Pop Mart Tour at the old Wembley Stadium with limos and bodyguards. It just goes to show how humble Rory is. It was good to see the place. Today it’s just a quiet playing field but an important field none the less. I also remember in 2007 the pop star Prince was wheeled onto the stage in a box in front of me and my cousin Anjan at the O2 arena. It was hilarious. :lol:

Later back at T P Cotters, Sinnerboy began their gig. It was a good show and Barry said that someone had told him he doesn’t dress like a rock star. He then put on some dark sunglasses on, a coat and a scarf around his hip and said to the crowd “Do I look like a rock star to you now?” It was so funny. He later took it off. We like Barry and the band for themselves.

Lots of good songs were sung and I told Ger and everyone that I was having such a lovely time. Susie was as well. I just could not stop smiling and they were touched.

I did speak to Mick and to Stephen who was original drummer in Sinnerboy. I kept asking about his bad back again and said “Take it easy”. I think he was touched by my concern but that’s just me anyway. Mick said he had been to school with Rory and he asked me about my writing. He remembered Rory being the in the Fontana Showband. Mick said that Rory could be away from Cork for up to 18 months of the year and every night they had to put the rigging up for stage etc night, after night. I understood how much organising and planning went into Rory’s shows. Mick also said “Rory only only came back to Cork to change his socks!”. :lol: :lol:

Mick said also said that the River Lee ran out of the city and in one of the documentaries on you tube you can see Rory walking by a pathway near the River Lee under some trees. Mick said he sometimes joined Rory for these walks and Rory would take out a little notebook and write down ideas for his songs. I told Mick that I kept a notebook for writing, as any artist does but most of my ideas come from dreams and visions I have. Like Rory I am a Piscean sign and I also love to think by water. Well I love looking out at the River Thames in London because my grandmother loved the River Thames and read it in her poetry books in India. I think our first family home in Maida Vale London was near the Little Venice canal. My parents use to take walks by the canal with me in my pushchair in the late 70s. We use to go for long walks in Regents Park. I also talked to Mick about sound and music therapy. Rory did believe that music could heal physically. It’s a subject that interests me, as in a dream in 2006 I was told I would be teaching meditative, colour and sound therapy classes. The international intuitive T J Higgs also told me I would be doing that too. Well I start in 2015.I did not even know what sound and music therapy was and now I am beginning to understand its power. Mick said his son Rory ( named for obvious reasons) is a guitarist and was really into music therapy for schools. My college friend Claire Daltrey ( who is also related to Roger Daltrey of The Who) also said Roger was a supporter of music therapy in school. There was so much synchronicity on this trip to Cork.

We also spoke to Stephen and he talked about seeing the rock group Queen in 1974. It was lovely how everyone was sharing their memories of Rory and of music generally in the 60s and 70s.

Coming to Cork was also good for Susie as she and her boyfriend will be helping to organise the Sinnerboy gig in Edinburgh for Barry and the boys in September. Ger also has a wealth of experience in running, organising and setting up music gigs. Susie is a musician but she wants to learn about Events Management and this experience will help her. I feel this is no coincidence, well nothing in life is.

There was one time when Barry was asking if anyone had been at the Macroom Festival in 1977. Nobody put their hands up because none of us were there. However Mick was looking around and did not put his hand up. Barry asked the question again and Mick still did not put his hand up. Then Barry said “Mick weren't you there?”. Mick goes “Oh, oh yes I was”. LOL. :lol: :lol: Susie and I have a lot of respect for Mick and he is such a lovely man.

A fan sang a Millions Miles Away towards the end of the gig and he had tears in his eyes. We all became misty eyed and later the fan cried in his wife’s arms. Ger came up on stage and said “As you can see Rory and his music touched so many people around the world”.

I also met a German lady who loves Rory’s music and was holidaying in Ireland. When the gig ended we headed back to the coach, to go back to Cork. It had been a lovely afternoon. As we passed Ballincollig, I mentally told Rory “We will see you again next year”. Everyone was thinking of Rory when we passed Ballincollig. I will always keep my Macroom Gig poster. I knew Rory had been with us for the whole trip.

Ger persuaded Susie and me to come and have a drink in Douglas. We did and he paid for our drinks. During the drinks Susie spoke to a Scottish guitarist Bri and it was so weird what happened next. Susie had studied in Ayrshire in the mid – nineties and Bri had been at the same college she had been. Bri’s girlfriend had lived in the same street as Susie and of course Bri and Susie love guitar and Rory. Both are from Scotland.

Bri said The Rory Family of Friends and Fans made him feel so welcomed and even liked his long blonde hair. I said “Your hair is lovely. I like men with long hair”. We jokily said Bri, Susie and me could form a band and have Steve as a drummer. Well why not?
Bri is a good bassist so his experience and knowledge will be a good help for Suise. As I told Pauline if I ever did play acoustic guitar in public it will be at a Writers Café or something.

Later Susie told me “All of this is too good to make up. Things happen around you”. I said “Susie it s not me. It’s the mysteries of life”. My brother has said the unexpected does happen around me.

Pauline has seen Rory in concert and she said that it is very difficult to describe the feeling of Rory’s live playing. You have to experience and it’s something you never forgot as it was magical. Rory use to play at Cork City Hall and Pauline said in the seventies the people of Cork use to get so excited to know that Rory was going to play with his band. There was fever, excitement and anticipation in the air.

We then left the pub and went to the mini cabs next door to catch a cab. Ger then walks in and insists on paying for our cab home. We said “No,no we can”. He insisted and we gave him a big hug.

On Monday 9/06/2014 we left Cork. Susie was driving to Belfast to catch her ferry to Scotland and I was flying home to London. I felt happy and sad but I knew we had an amazing trip and it was just as good when we did our Rory Gallagher pilgrimage last year in 2013.

My first taxi was a few minutes late and then a second taxi came. The taxi drove me to Cork Airport. When we arrived, I got out of the taxi and went to the back of the taxi to get my luggage out. Suddenly the taxi driver began to drive away, so I started to tap the back window hard and the taxi stopped. The taxi driver said “Oh I am so sorry. I forgot you had luggage”. I said “I did not come to Ireland in underpants only you know”. :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh well these things happen in Ireland and that’s why I love the country so much.

When I boarded the plane I remember what Bri had told me the previous night, “There is love in your eyes for Rory. You can see it and its obvious you are devoted to seeing his legacy live on”. Of course I am, as all of his followers and I will not break my promise to him in coming to Cork every year. Same for Susie as well. I want to see him get the recognitions as one of the Rock and Roll greats and he has earned his place. I want him to be recognised along with Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix etc and his music will live on forever. As I told Bri a great injustice has been done to Rory and that must be rectified. I hate injustice and I will do all I can to help rectify that along with all of his fans, supporters, friends and his family. I am determined it will be done in my lifetime. There is no other way for it. Rory and his music touched my soul.

ROCK ON FOR RORY
Subrata. x

By the way my family were well pleased when they got their handmade Irish chocolates. They were gone in seconds. LOL. :lol: :lol: Back home in the evening I switched on my mobile spontaneously and 10.44pm came up again by chance. I just smiled and said “ See you around Rory”. x

I will post my photos in the next few weeks. Please be patient with me.
SUBY1974

Re: OUR CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL REVIEW JUN 2014 WITH P

Postby SUBY1974 » 29 Jun 2014, 17:58

Here are the photos from our Corks Rocks For Rory Festival 2014 trip. The photos are divided into Blarney Castle, Cork City, Kinsale and Cobh, Cyprus Venue and the Macroom Gig. Enjoy! Subrata. x

Blarney Castle 2014

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/phay.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 7/ebn3.jpg It definitely is a "fairytale" castle from a picture story book. :D
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/rpf8.jpg I believe this is the bridge where Rory stood in the Irish Tour 1974 documentary.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 5/dx6i.jpg Heavenly is it not? :D
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/2x1o.jpg The Irish Harpist playing sweet music.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/820/f83r.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /sfr55.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 6/hplc.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 6/pp6b.jpg Susie down in the dungeons.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /sxuc0.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /knwbw.jpg I feel like I am being watched....some of the quirky art on the castle grounds.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /8j95m.jpg Inside Blarney Castle
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/hcbv.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/6sx1.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 5/0vwh.jpg Getting nearer to the Blarney Stone.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /4mtri.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /0dfko.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/cwop.jpg Tricky moment :? :roll: Scaredy cat did manage to kiss the Blarney Stone and what an achievement. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/umg6.jpg The Stables Coffee Shop and we found these traditional gypsy caravans. Rory use to say he loved the gypsy lifestyle as a musician. Can almost see him sitting on the steps playing a beautiful Spanish Acoustic guitar. ;) Take us with you Rory on your travels... :D
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /8cv9g.jpg Our traditional pot of English tea. :D
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /fhihn.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/18dz.jpg The magical gardens of Blarney. A botanist's dream. :mrgreen:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 6/i7vp.jpg Pisceans love waterfalls. :D
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 6/dmvi.jpg Here i am touching the soft carpet of moss.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /8sg0n.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/5que.jpg Blarney House was shut. Nice building though.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/hvey.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 6/tvit.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /18p6g.jpg Waterfalls again.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 1/2ecw.jpg Susie walking through a tunnel of leaves.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/oqr2.jpg A spiritual experience within the Druid Stone Circle. We could both feel the energy of the stones.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 2/x3md.jpg Ancient Dolmans
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 1/ky1i.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /reth9.jpg The Wishing Steps
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/8iud.jpg The first Irish Prehistoric settlers in Ireland lived in Blarney.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /uvmes.jpg Behind the waterfall
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/gcun.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /del1v.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 2/esn2.jpg Spot the Gallagher shield crest. You will always be my knight in shining armour Rory. :D

Tomorrow I will scan on the Cork photos. Time for me to go to bed. Subrata. x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 29 Jun 2014, 22:27, edited 25 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby JimLED » 29 Jun 2014, 20:11

Hi Suby!

Nice traveling! Nice pics. What model of camera do you using?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby SUBY1974 » 29 Jun 2014, 20:52

Hi Jim. It is a Samsung zoom lens digital camera 4.9-24.5mm 1:3.5-5.9 27mm x 5 14.2 mega pixels. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Re: CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL REVIEW JUN 2014 WITH P

Postby JimLED » 29 Jun 2014, 21:11

SUBY1974 wrote:Hi Jim. It is a Samsung zoom lens digital camera 4.9-24.5mm 1:3.5-5.9 27mm x 5 14.2 mega pixels. Subrata. x

14.2 megapixels?

Can't believe! Did you upload all them directly to the computer or?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL REVIEW JUN 2014 WITH P

Postby SUBY1974 » 29 Jun 2014, 21:22

No. I am using my scanner. I find computers very complicated and the digital age even more so. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Re: CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL REVIEW JUN 2014 WITH PICS

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Jun 2014, 09:46

SUBY1974 wrote:CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL JUNE 2014 - REVIEW

. . . A trip like this requires minute planning to the last detail.. . .

On the 03/06/2014 we decided to go Ballincollig first and see him. It was always emotional and this year for the first time I took a red check shirt, guitar pick, a framed photo of Rory and a lovely card from my mother. She fancies Rory! The card contained a purple flower (purple is a healing colour) from my folks garden and I put mine, Susie’s, Cynthia and Dwana name in it and love from all the Rory fans. The smell of the flower was wonderful. . .
It was raining a little and on this trip it did rain a lot. I don’t mind the rain in Ireland. When we were in Ballincollig we sat next to him and then suddenly the sun just came out of the clouds and shined down on us. I am sure Rory made the sun came out. I also found my photo of Rory from 2 years ago still sitting there (with a private message from me) and I placed my new photo beside it. It was another sign he was showing us he is always with us. I can’t quite believe my old photo of him from two years ago is still sitting there!
. . .
We also visited the Peter and Paul Church and in 1996 a memorial service was held for Rory here. It is a beautiful church and we spent some time here. I captured an orb right in front of me where I was sitting in the pews. . . .

Quite an engaging review Suby! Excellent photos too. Thank you for remembering me to Rory when you were there, and especially the purple flower :D . I had told my friend Jim McClymont how much I had wanted to visit Rory this year at St. Oliver's, but my finances just weren't in order to do it- (You're so right, it takes so very much planning to make a trip like that happen, especially from so far away! I'm just now coming to terms with all the detail, and I have nearly a year to do it!) and Jim offered to arrange to have flowers placed there for me, lavender flowers, and it was a friend of Mick's who placed them. What an amazingly small world, and intricately woven family of Rory's fans and friends we all are! From all over the world! :mrgreen:

Sounds like you and Suzie had a wonderful time. God willing, and if I can get my act together, I will be there next year, one way or another. I'm equally looking forward to it and terrified of the adventure of it at the same time, I am really something of a recluse, and it won't be easy. But I'll be there. :mrgreen:

Thank you for sharing with us! :D

8-) -Cynthia

P.S. Since it will be the 20th anniversary, I am assuming that there will be a memorial mass held for Rory in Cork? That is something I'd like to attend. Anyone can give me a heads up on that I'd be grateful !
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Jul 2014, 20:20

CORK CITY 2014

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/pkbd.jpg St Patricks Hill - Steep climb. :?
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/e6rl.jpg View of Cork from St Patricks Hill. Rory was standing here looking out at this view in 1972 from the Savoy documentary.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/fpsg.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/ng3z.jpg The newly refurbished Gallagher Pub.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/geoy.jpg Artwork of Rory inside pub.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 6/m090.jpg Pictures of Irish artists inside the pub. John Spillane ( folk lore musician) did the song A Song for Rory and the actor Jonathan Myers who is from Cork and would love to play Rory in a the movie. I personally think he would be quite good.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /8s15q.jpg St Kierans College, Camden Quay, Rory's old school and now the Cork English College.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/krqc.jpg Inside The Guitar Shop.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /ar3d6.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/ypmw.jpg Rory stood here for a photo when he was 15 or 16, just where the red rubber ring is.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/c4sq.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 5/9db4.jpg St Patricks Bridge.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /v886g.jpg Peter Paul Church. Rory's memorial service was held here in 1996 a year after his passing.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/lijx.jpg Rory Gallagher Place and Connollys Bookstore.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 2/4e7d.jpg English Market Cork
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/ll59.jpg Inside market. Can you spot Rory?
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/0bb8.jpg Lovely shops inside market. Well worth a visit.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /b011m.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /5htry.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 0/gngw.jpg Butter Market House
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/tma4.jpg Shandon Church
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /7jxab.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /mcdvd.jpg With our hero - Ziggy Bar.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 3/8w27.jpg Well the landlord of Ziggy Bar adores Rory. :D
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... /h1pv9.jpg Dervish - well worth a visit Dwana and Cynthia. As time goes on I am getting comfortable living between the two worlds. :D Bookstore is upstairs.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1 ... 9/0az8.jpg Ah Rory...

Tomorrow I will post the Kinsale and Cobh photos.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Jul 2014, 21:58

RobertaSparrow wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:CORK ROCKS FOR RORY FESTIVAL JUNE 2014 - REVIEW

. . . A trip like this requires minute planning to the last detail.. . .

On the 03/06/2014 we decided to go Ballincollig first and see him. It was always emotional and this year for the first time I took a red check shirt, guitar pick, a framed photo of Rory and a lovely card from my mother. She fancies Rory! The card contained a purple flower (purple is a healing colour) from my folks garden and I put mine, Susie’s, Cynthia and Dwana name in it and love from all the Rory fans. The smell of the flower was wonderful. . .
. . .
We also visited the Peter and Paul Church and in 1996 a memorial service was held for Rory here. It is a beautiful church and we spent some time here. I captured an orb right in front of me where I was sitting in the pews. . . .

Quite an engaging review Suby! Excellent photos too. Thank you for remembering me to Rory when you were there, and especially the purple flower :D . I had told my friend Jim McClymont how much I had wanted to visit Rory this year at St. Oliver's, but my finances just weren't in order to do it- (You're so right, it takes so very much planning to make a trip like that happen, especially from so far away! I'm just now coming to terms with all the detail, and I have nearly a year to do it!) and Jim offered to arrange to have flowers placed there for me, lavender flowers, and it was a friend of Mick's who placed them. What an amazingly small world, and intricately woven family of Rory's fans and friends we all are! From all over the world! :mrgreen:

Sounds like you and Suzie had a wonderful time. God willing, and if I can get my act together, I will be there next year, one way or another. I'm equally looking forward to it and terrified of the adventure of it at the same time, I am really something of a recluse, and it won't be easy. But I'll be there. :mrgreen:

Thank you for sharing with us! :D

8-) -Cynthia

P.S. Since it will be the 20th anniversary, I am assuming that there will be a memorial mass held for Rory in Cork? That is something I'd like to attend. Anyone can give me a heads up on that I'd be grateful !

Hi Cynthia, I don't know if there will be a 20th anniversary memorial mass to Rory in Cork but if I hear anything I will keep you posted. It was a pleasure to write your and Dwana's names in the card. Lavender is one of my favourite flowers. Its very calming and i as a young girl i use to love wearing purple or green. I still do and I found out later they are a healer's colour. My aura should have a green or purple tinge to it. My line of work involves helping people. If you could go to Glastonbury Abbey in Somerset UK they have a lavender garden there. I will be there in 8 weeks time but the smell of those flowers transports me to heaven. Utterly beautiful. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Rory Tributes ~ Rory Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs