Barry McGivern Band Bereavement / Blues for Rodney

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

Barry McGivern Band Bereavement / Blues for Rodney

Postby soupedupford » 03 Jun 2014, 12:55

It is with heavy heart that I have to tell our friends that Rodney Hunter our best friend and band mate passed away at his favourite Rory Gallagher festival week end in Ballyshannon. Rod became ill early on Friday evening before leaving us soon after.
There are not enough words that I can write to describe what a great guy Rodney is and there are no words to describe the loss to his family and friends.
Funeral arrangements will be posted on Rodney's Facebook page.
Turn it up Rodney where ever you are, love Barry.

Barry McGivern Band.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soupedupford

Re: BARRY MCGIVERN BAND BEREAVEMENT

Postby photofinish » 03 Jun 2014, 13:35

Sorry to hear this Barry...thought's are with you all...Have very fond memory's of our night at Ulster Hall in 2007.....Regards..Mark.
photofinish

Postby Jay Jay » 03 Jun 2014, 14:14

soupedupford wrote:It is with heavy heart that I have to tell our friends that Rodney Hunter our best friend and band mate passed away at his favourite Rory Gallagher festival week end in Ballyshannon. Rod became ill early on Friday evening before leaving us soon after.
There are not enough words that I can write to describe what a great guy Rodney is and there are no words to describe the loss to his family and friends.
Funeral arrangements will be posted on Rodney's Facebook page.
Turn it up Rodney where ever you are, love barry.

Hi Barry,

I just can't believe this so sad news happened. If I remember rightly now it was early evening Friday, when I bumped into you guys in Dicey Reilly's Bar in Ballyshannon? This fateful night that Rod passed away. Where I said hello to all you guys. We had a wee chat together for a while about the proposed RORY STATUE In BELFAST. You didn't stay that long in there though. Was Rod not feeling too good at that moment in time?
My lasting memory of Rod is now.. Of him saying goodbye and waving to me as he walked out through that front door of Dicey Reilly's :(

Was it heavens gate he walked through a little while later on? To go and play with Rory who may well need another bass player to accompany him.

My sincere condolences prayers and thoughts go to Rod's family & friends at this sad loss :(

R.I.P Rodney Hunter
Jay Jay

Postby keltic wolf » 03 Jun 2014, 23:00

Jeez sad sad news ..condolences to Hunter family and the band, I had the pleasure of seeing the guys couple times last year... the gig on the barge in Belfast , class.....RIP Rodney such a cool dude. :(
Here I am...where are you?
keltic wolf

Blues for Rodney....

Postby Dave McHugh » 04 Jun 2014, 14:24

Hi Folks,

We will be dedicating our gig on Friday night at Cork Rocks for Rory, to our old friend Rodney Hunter, who died suddenly over the weekend.

Brian Chambers, Steve Richardson and Dave will remember Rodney, who is now in that big young band in the sky.

Play on Rod, play on, as music is the food of life...

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
Dave McHugh

Re: Barry McGivern Band Bereavement / Blues for Rodney

Postby jenniferj » 05 Jun 2014, 00:18

We are in shock, as I guess most of you are over there. What terribly sad news. Graham and I have very fond memories of Rod and his great affection for Kylie Minogue - we always used to tell him that our people would talk to her people and we would get him an introduction. We will never forget this funny, sincere and genuinely nice guy. Absolutely devastated by this news...
Jennifer.
jenniferj

Postby Noelle » 05 Jun 2014, 12:03

Yes, Jennifer, he was a lovely man - very gentle and good-humoured. It must be devastating for all who were close to him. Barry McG and himself were always together in Ballyshannon, he must be heartbroken. My prayers are with you, Barry, and with Rodney's family and friends. Noelle.
Noelle

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Jun 2014, 22:05

Very sad news. RIP Rodney. My condolences and prayers to family and friends. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs