RORY FEST Ballyshannon 2014 Opening + Video's + AFTER-TASTE

What's Going On ~ Rory Gallagher Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Rory Exhibitions ~ Related Band Gigs

Re: RORY FEST Ballyshannon 2014 Opening + Video's + AFTER-TA

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Jun 2014, 13:07

Dave McHugh wrote:Well folks - what a Festival!

We will have a full review soon - but here is an "Aftertaste"!....

Hey Dave,

You did a great job as per usual at the RORY FEST this year man. Some fabulous performances in tribute to our musical hero. Thanks a million. :)
Rory would love that sense of humour you put across at times so well. Especially with Barry Barnes at the Rock Hospital gig for starters.
Quality performance at the Big Top.The sound balance for all you guys in the band was spot on there, thanks to Kevin.
Apologies that I couldn't stay and watch your performance at Rory Gallagher Place. I did compensate by leaving a little part of Rory with you for a while. When I went away to watch the excellent Laurence Jones Band. What were the songs again you told me you played Dave along with his slide? I remember when you gave it me back "Mean Disposition Blues" and ?
Maybe someone recorded one of those songs? So I can sample the AfterTaste again :) :) :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby handyt » 05 Jun 2014, 18:04

The Rory Gallagher Ballyshannon tribute weekend is the event of the year for me.
ive been going since 2007 and it gets better each year.
i miss loads of bands due to meeting up with the hundreds of friends i've met over the years.
This years performers were all great as usual however there was a couple of highlights for me.
Johnny Gallagher at the Diamond was a one off; impromptu with that touch of sheer class,
i think the big man had had a drink?
he mentioned his battery was going in his acoustic guitar, and the suggestion was that this was his last tune.
hey what someone, quick thinking, rushed into the general stores and supplied JG with a replacement PP3.
This allowed a few more magical moments.
JG at the penultimate song turned to introduce his band?? Johnny was playing solo acoustic??
howls of laughter, big eejit, but humility to make a joke about it.
at the end we offered to help put his gear in the van, he declined as he said it was all under control and it would take him 5 minutes!?!
i popped into Fins for a replacement Guinness, someone came in an hour later and said "did you see Johnny Gallagher " i said of course but he's bin finished an hour or so ,
"really he replied then why is he still outside talking to fans"
because he loves them i said.
i went out and sure he was still there, having photos taken and having the craic.
He then had little liason dangereuse avec le Garda which i'll explain when he gives me permission
i wouldnt compromise the man??
enough to say he eventually got a friendly lift home from a SPECIAL person in his own van
i'd better stop now and move onto the Lawrence Jones band, i'd seen them at Cambridge then twice locally in the midlands near where i live and i think he's reaaly good
he did two gigs one at RG Place and one in the big top Sunday night.
he certainly made some friends, he's a young bluesman going places.
Please don't get me wrong ALL the other bands i saw were great, Tony Dowlers band, Pat Mcmanas, Barry, Dave, Christian on Harp et al
Roll on next year as i missed some guys, my mates said Oddsocks were brilliant, i was incapacitated Friday evening so i missed from 1000pm onwards.
The Monday night at Owen Roes seems to have bin a blast, looks like i'm goin to have book ten days next year.
finally if your still reading i must thank my great friend Tommy Mc and ANN for their help and friendship, see you all next year
yeehar
handyt

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Jun 2014, 21:40

Just to point out for those who didn't know. Dave Mchugh here in this video @ The Roryfest
He started the first Rory Gallagher Tribute band called Aftertaste. Here he is with Same Old Story :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWYmk3myEsE
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Jun 2014, 10:38

Please excuse me here for copying and pasting this I day review @ the Rory fest. I did for Daniel Gallagher..

When he asked me "How was your weekend in Ballyshannon"?

Yes I absolutely had a fab Rory fest yet again. I must tell you the last day Sunday, was an incredible feast of superb music throughout the whole day.. Starting at !2 noon with Barry Barnes with his usual Rory anyone can play Jamboree @ The Bridgend Bar East Port Rd. To 3am in seeing my young friend Jamie Clague from the Wirral near Liverpool, who travel last year for the first time to The Rory Fest with me. Yet played himself excellently with his band this year at a few gigs. In between I saw Mississippi Sheiks briefly with David Hawkins (Deuce band lead guitarist vocals) whom I met for the first time, lovely guy. That was @ Rory Gallagher Place. Following them were my good friends from Derry where your Dad was born. Zero Resistance aka Troublesome Bucks and my other great friends The Sinnerboy's. Whom I did a little help and roadie work with their new drummer Dave Burgess who's played before with Richie Blackmore no less. Btw, Giles O'Hara (ZR) played Secret Agent and Barry Barnes (SB) Bullfrog Blues With Rory's slide you and Tom kindly passed on to me :)

The Big Top Concert just put the icing on the cake for me. Barry Barnes warmed the crowd up with some of his passionate and emotional charged acoustic Rory tunes such as WWW. A newbie to the fest followed Barry on stage. Laurence Jones Band. This guy just had me spell bound like when I saw Rory live years ago. Only 21 years old yet plays like he's a veteran. He's class with a Clapton sort of image but plays with the passion of Hendrix and Rory. Someone's put a clip on youtube of the so called LJB but it is not them it's another band. Laurence did say some lovely words about Rory before he played his last tune. Bullfrog Blues. His own tunes are very memorable and quite catchy. I said straight afterwards to my friends. I am definitely a fan now of Laurence and his band. This band were followed on stage by Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake) and his band. Bernie as you probably know was the first guy to be honored by your father to play Rory strat @ a Tribute gig in Buxton in 1996. Bernie also did an album a couple of years ago called Bernie plays Rory. He had the Ballyshannon audience in the palm of his hands this Sunday evening. Playing classic Whitesnake tunes such as " Fool For Your Lovin' No More " and more. Finishing with a Rory song as Laurence did before his encore, Some really kind and lovely word. About how Rory was such a great inspiration to lots young guitarist like himself in the late 60's into the 70's.Leading into a great version of Continental Op to finish with :)
Johnny Gallagher was the final act of the evening at The Big Top. I must admit I didn't stay for the whole of this show. As I seen Johnny's great performances many times. I promised Jamie Clagues's father Paul, who stayed, first time @ The Fest at the guest house where we stay every year . That I would meet him for a last drink, on way back to guest house, In East Port Rd. At The Lantern Bar. Where The Jamie Clague Band played as I said earlier their final gig. Which was absolutely Rockin' :)

More days review of The Rory fest will follow.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Jun 2014, 16:40

You don't get many Rory Gallager Tributes Bands playing these Rory tunes ;)

Sinnerboy @ The Rory fest with "Country Mile" and "In Your Town" :) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmhVVfFMEc#t=34

Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 13 Jun 2014, 10:47

Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Jun 2014, 21:45

Deuce with Tattoo'd Lady @ Rory Gallagher Place
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Jul 2014, 11:06

Listen to The RORY FANS singing along with Sinnerboy here..
With what is probably Rory's adopted anthem song now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJl0-r5UAg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Tributes ~ Festivals ~ Exhibitions ~ Band Gigs