What do you listening on vinyl, now?

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Re: What do you listening on vinyl, now?

Postby asdesas » 08 Feb 2011, 16:47

Hi Rick,

You are single-handledly turning me into a hopeless Youtube addict. I hope they never come up with a 12-step program! Yes it is a lot of fun to read your posts and you surely have me jonesing for my old vinyl collection, which sits gathering dust at my parents' house. Thanks to you, last time i was there i dug out the fist two Blackfoot albums--No Reservations and Flying High. Do you have them? Great stuff, better IMO than the stuff they did after they got famous. (But that's always the way with me, i prefer them when they are off the radar.) Sat in the Same Old Easy Chair in the living room, put on the headphones, and was a teenager again--that is, until I went to stand up and my knees hurt! Next time i go out there I will box them all up and ship them to CA--you can send records for cheap in the mail, though when I sent my books out here with the Media Mail rate it seemed like the postal service had destroying each and every box as some kind of holy mission. Sheesh!

If you have Blackfoot, will you have to wait to listen til you get through W, X, Y, Z, and A again?

Got you beat on typing--I use three fingers.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Rick K » 16 Feb 2011, 16:51

Hi Richard,
I didn`t see this when you posted it, in fact I missed it when I posted about John Hiatt below...... I just dug out my only Blackfoot album and am listening to it, before heading back upstairs to resume watching Rory `s Live At Cork Opera House. I like this album. Always liked Rickey Medlock, who was the original Dave Grohl(starting on drums before switching to lead guitar). He`s got great American Indian tattoos too. Most don`t, but I still consider Rickey an ORIGINAL Skynyrd member. On an off comment on a parrallel frontier........my first wife was Blackfoot, and a guy I graduated from high school with married Gary Rossington`s exwife.........now his ex as well........just things that I think of when I hear Blackfoot.

Blackfoot/Marauder/1981

just finished:

John Hiatt/Riding With The King/1983
Saw him a few weeks ago with Lyle Lovett.
Lyle was telling about the first time he saw John(late`70s-early`80s).
At that time John was playing lead guitar in the Ry Cooder band.
Now that`s strong credential right there......playing lead for Ryland Cooder !

R.K.
Rick K

Postby asdesas » 17 Feb 2011, 01:14

Rick you should definitely check out Blackfoot's No Reservations and Flyin' High if you can find them. Great stuff. No Reservations has the song that was Highway Song before there was Highway Song--I Stand Alone--and Flyin High has a few tracks that are just plain scary, they kick serious butt seriously.

Here's some stuff from No Reservations--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqcsyRv ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9U1NKC ... er&list=UL --the song "Stars" is supposedly about Ricky's feelings about the Skynyrd guys, i imagine he's hoping they've forgotten it!

Lord this all brings back memories...

Love the thought of John Hiatt playing lead for Ry, true enough, you can't ask for much more credibility than that!!!!!!
asdesas

Postby Rick K » 21 Feb 2011, 16:55

Derek and the Dominos/In Concert/2 LPs/1973
Love Carl Radle`s bass playing !
Especially on this song......Got To Get Better In A Little While:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W958KObLKPA

"the sun`s got to shine on my guitar some day"

now it`s:
The Mothers/Over-Nite Sensation/1973
My favorite of Frank`s albums.

R.K.
Rick K

Postby asdesas » 21 Feb 2011, 19:13

Rick K wrote:Derek and the Dominos/In Concert/2 LPs/1973
Love Carl Radle`s bass playing !
Especially on this song......Got To Get Better In A Little While:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W958KObLKPA

"the sun`s got to shine on my guitar some day"

now it`s:
The Mothers/Over-Nite Sensation/1973
My favorite of Frank`s albums.

R.K.

Gotta quote your whole message, Rick! Yes Carl Radle was one of the greats of the bass guitar. I was never into much post-Cream Clapton, but this record kicks butt and you are right--Delaney and Bonnie and co lit a fire under Slowhand!

Ah... the Mothers.... Mothermania was my soundtrack for a few summer vacations. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant stuff!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Postby Rick K » 25 Feb 2011, 16:53

After seeing Dumpstaphunk the other night, thought I`d dig into some other funk:

Grand Funk Railroad/On Time/1969
Grand Funk/no title/1970
Grand Funk/Closer To Home/1970

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 01 Mar 2011, 16:14

Gregg Allman Band/I`m No Angel/1987
So you find me hard to handle.........well, I`m easier to hold.....

Ry Cooder/Borderline/1980
with John Hiatt on guitar and vocals

Ry Cooder/The Slide Area/1982
Has John Hiatt and Jim Dickinson on it.....and others as well

Albert Collins/Cold Snap/1986
Got me down on bended knee, weepin` and bendin` like a willow tree

R.K.
Rick K

Postby asdesas » 16 Mar 2011, 20:51

Rick K wrote:After seeing Dumpstaphunk the other night, thought I`d dig into some other funk:

Grand Funk Railroad/On Time/1969
Grand Funk/no title/1970
Grand Funk/Closer To Home/1970

R.K.

The GFR no-title "Red Album" is so ahead of its time! It's like something produced by Rick Rubin before he was even born--COMPLETELY raw!

Richard
asdesas

Postby Rick K » 24 Mar 2011, 22:51

Grand Funk`s music is ageless for me Richard........I still just love it !

Just finished listening to:
North Mississippi Allstars/Keys To The Kingdom/2011
This just came in the mail. The picture on the cover is the Wheel Within The Wheel like of Rory`s afterdeath CD. This new release is in memory of the Dickinson brothers` father who passed away before the recording of this album. It is good music with an inspiring message. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately only 11 of the 12 songs on the CD are included on the vinyl. That`s why I love getting a download card with it that has all 12 songs on it. They should have sprung for the second vinyl disc so they could fit it all in. What Were They Thinkin` ?!?! After all, the cost would be passed on to the consumer, and the song they omitted was the song that their father requested them to record......and from his death bed.

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 26 Mar 2011, 17:04

Spent the morning checking out Tim and his band(Devils Creek) on youtube, their site and more. VERY SOLID BAND !

Now everyone has left the house and I`m gonna crank up some Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and some Runaways.
Her and Grace Potter are my favorite female rockers to see or hear these days !

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts/Album/1983
Coney Island Whitefish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhOI32TUijg

R.K.
Last edited by Rick K on 26 Mar 2011, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rick K

PreviousNext

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum